reclaiming the "C Word"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bonoman said:
But when I'm at my house in Ireland and this word is used it is nearly acepted as normal.

I only use the word out of frustration or say it to other male friends of mine. I could not see how that would be hurting the cause of making the word less loaded.

With males using this word more and more towards other males is this good for this so called 'reclaiming'?

I recall reading an interview with Bono last summer in a Brit magazine (Mojo?), where he used the word, in referring to another male, or a group of males, or perhaps himself?? I remember being kind if shocked, but it must be a cultural thing.

not that this is entirely related, but we've talked about the C-Word and the power it derives from the reduction of a woman into a sexual organ and the threat of implied violence. so, related to that, a bit of really good news for American women:

[q]Statistics Show Drop In U.S. Rape Cases
Many Say Crime Is Still Often Unreported

By David A. Fahrenthold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 19, 2006; A01

The number of rapes per capita in the United States has plunged by more than 85 percent since the 1970s, and reported rape fell last year even while other violent offenses increased, according to federal crime data.

This seemingly stunning reduction in sexual violence has been so consistent over the past two decades that some experts say they have started to believe it is accurate, even if they cannot fully explain why it is occurring.

In 1979, according to a Justice Department estimate based on a wide-ranging public survey, there were 2.8 rapes for every 1,000 people. In 2004, the same survey found that the rate had decreased to 0.4 per thousand.

Many criminologists and victims' advocates say that these numbers could be a statistical mirage, because rape is still underreported and poorly understood. But others say they have been convinced that there is real improvement and that a devastating crime has been receding from American life.

"Overall, there has clearly been a decline over the last 10 to 20 years," said Kim Gandy, president of the National Organization for Women. "It's very liberating for women, in terms of now being able to be more free and more safe."

By all accounts, rape is still one of the most underreported crimes. Several decades after the establishment of rape crisis hotlines, greater sensitivity toward rape victims by police and prosecutors, adoption of policies by news organizations to not identify victims and limitations on how much a victim's sexual history can be placed in evidence during trial, the Justice Department estimates that 61 percent of rapes and sexual assaults are still not reported. But that is down from 69 percent in 1996, and experts say the trend remains downward.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/18/AR2006061800610_pf.html

[/q]

Back
Top Bottom