Recent Protests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
vert.iraq.protest.2.jpg

Relatives of U.S. troops killed in Iraq gathered Monday outside Walter Reed Army Medical Center for an emotional protest.

Iraq war opponents march to White House

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- More than 60 people gathered Monday in Washington for a march to the White House, calling for an end to U.S. military action in Iraq.

The protest, the second day of a two-day demonstration against the Bush administration, drew mostly peace activists, along with a few relatives of U.S. troops, organizers said.

Relatives of U.S. troops killed in Iraq gathered Monday outside Walter Reed Army Medical Center for an emotional protest.

vert.woman.crying.ap.jpg
Jeanine Walker of Germantown, Maryland, whose brother-in-law Jeffrey Walker died in Iraq, took park in Monday's protest.

The protesters are marching from the hospital, where many wounded troops are treated, to Lafayette Park across Washington's Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House -- a nearly six-mile trek.

There were also a few counterprotesters calling the demonstrators "traitors" and yelling, "Stop the left-wing violence."

In Iraq, meanwhile, three American civilian workers were killed and two wounded Monday in a drive-by shooting in the northern city of Mosul, coalition military officials said.

Protesters march to Air Force base
On Sunday, several hundred protesters took part in a march from Dover, Delaware, to nearby Dover Air Force Base, where remains of U.S. troops first arrive from Iraq. The facility includes the U.S. military's main mortuary.

Some protesters complained about the Bush administration's policy of refusing the news media access to Dover, saying the White House is trying to hide the horrors of the war.

"I'm just trying to get the message out that I think this war is unnecessary from the start," said John Walker of Germantown, Maryland, whose younger brother, Army Sgt. Jeffrey Walker, 33, was killed in a helicopter crash near Fallujah on January 8.

"I don't want anybody else like myself who has lost a family member to have to go through this. ... I loved him very much. It's really difficult," he said.

Standing outside the hospital as the march got under way Monday, Walker said the protesters have nothing but support for the troops who are still in Iraq."We'd like for them all to come back safely."

Organizers of the anti-war march told CNN that, in addition to calling for an end to U.S. military efforts in Iraq, they wanted to honor the dead and bring attention to the plight of the nearly 2,800 wounded in action.

More than 400 other U.S. soldiers were wounded in non-hostile incidents, according to the Defense Department.

Take it up with Elvis.

You have not been censored in any way. The article you posted was not deleted, only moved. I explained my rationale for the actions taken in the other thread.

My heart goes out to the families. I just wish, as my friends in Iraq do, that there was more press about the good things that the servicemen and women are doing over there.

people have the right to protest, and I can respect them exercizing their political rights.

Back
Top Bottom