Reaching Out to Dems - Bushit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
actually, yes. he's been on record for years for his extremely conservative Catholicism, and his likewise extreme homophobia was well-known in Hollywood (and you only have to watch Braveheart to see this homophobia).

Ron Silver. Stephen Baldwin. the guy who's now a congressman ... can't remember.

also, i wouldn't agree with your characterization of Streisand or Brolin as crazies. they're left wing, but they're not exactly blowing up buildlings.

Bruce Willis is also a republican, Tom Cruise and Kid Rock were said to support the war in Iraq. Other than that and the names previously given, I can't think of any other Hollywood conservatives.

Trace Adkins
Kirstie Alley
Stephen Baldwin
Clint Black
Pat Boone
Lara Flynn Boyle
Kix Brooks
Ben Browder
Jerry Bruckheimer
Chris Cagle
Kirk Cameron
Drew Carey
Emma Caulfield
Lionel Chetwynd
Alice Cooper
Kevin Costner
Robert Davi
John Rhys Davies
Bo Derek
Shannon Doherty
Jerry Doyle
Ronnie Dunn
Robert Duvall
Sara Evans
Vincent Gallo
Andy Garcia
Jennifer Garner
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Mel Gibson
Kelsey Grammar
Lee Greenwood
Angie Harmon
Elisabeth Hasselbeck
Patricia Heaton
Charlton Heston
Dennis Hopper
Rachel Hunter
Dwayne Johnson
LL Cool J
Particia Keaton
Toby Keith
Heather Locklear
Reba MacEntire
John Malkovich
Steve Marmel
John Milius
Dennis Miller
John Michael Montgomery
Chuck Norris
Ted Nugent
Gary Oldman
Laura Prepon
Jason Priestley
Freddie Prinze, Jr.
Ivan Reitman
Kid Rock
Pat Sajak
Adam Sandler
Ricky Schroder
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Tom Selleck
Ron Silver
Jessica Simpson
Michael W. Smith
Gary Sinise
Britney Spears
Sylvester Stallone
Ben Stein
Connie Stevens
George Strait
Fred Thompson
Aaron Tippin
John Travolta
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Bruce Willis
James Woods
Tiger Woods

Thanks for the list.

Side note: I believe Ron Silver is still a liberal who supports the war, Ditto Dennis Miller although he could be a full fledged conservative by now. I'm surprised to see people like Gary Oldman, John Malkovich, Dennis Hopper, LL Cool J, and Adam Sandler on that list. I guess most of these people kept their views to themselves because I had no clue. I'm especially pleased that Britney's on my side, even if Justin isn't

A_Wanderer said:
Just to qualify I don't think that they are conservatives merely republicans or Bush supporters.

Yeah I can see some like LL Cool J(just from interviews I've seen) that just vote Republican based on their wallets.

drhark said:
Do any low income folks vote Democrat based on their wallets?

I'm a low income person and I vote Demcratic/Liberal [not NYS's liberal party:| ], and Working Families Party.

I vote these because: 1] Demds provide a safety net, while the Neo-cons [not the few moderate Reps left] are continuing to tear it apart; 2] they usually fight for working women- equal wages, the Family Medical Leave Act [and hope to work towards a paid medical leave; 3] they usually fight for more equal education for people of color [I'm white].

AND ......these are just the first three reasons that popped into my mind {as this web acess site is going to be closed soon for the day}!

The Neo-cons usually only go and support the few poor people who they think are deserving of their mercy! :mad:

Every other poor person is 'undeserving' of their pity/sympathy/mercy & monetary charity and 'should' "pull themselves up by thier bootstraps" .

What if some one stole them [bootstraps], they were 'bitten off' in some calamity etc etc....Neo-cons often don't give a shit about YOU, then. :mad: :madspit: :madspit:

Last edited:
We all vote by our wallets to some degree.

I vote Republican by my wallet, and others vote Democrat by my wallet. Still others vote Green by my wallet.

I thought I sort of knew what the label NeoCon was supposed to mean until I read the last post
:huh:

At the risk of derailing the thread... Gary Oldman is a Conservative?! That has totally rocked my world...

I'm so disappointed. :| (Only half-joking here).

A_Wanderer, how did you get your information? Not that I'm doubting you... I'm just curious.

Ant.

P.S - Oh, and lets not forget Clint Eastwood. Big Republican there... (and very cool).

Last edited:
Clint Eastwood threatened to kill Michael Moore if he ever showed up at his door with a camera. It was at an awards show and Michael was present. I'm sure it was a joke. Michael probably had some nervous laughter going.

Haha - I'm not surprised. Still, you've got to love Clint.

Ant.

P.S- Sorry to derail the thread here again; continue with the debate! Maybe I'll start a thread dedicated to Celebrities and their politics... maybe not...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah I can see some like LL Cool J (just from interviews I've seen) that just vote Republican based on their wallets.
Looked around, didn't see any that suggested that. He claims not to stand for a particular party, and all that jazz. He's concerned about how the candidates will provide for him, and this doesn't always have to mean financially. He's one of the more decent rappers in the industry, I wouldn't be so hard on the guy. Didn't he appear at the 2000 DNC? What interview prompted you into thinking this?

drhark said:

I vote Republican by my wallet, and others vote Democrat by my wallet. Still others vote Green by my wallet.

I thought I sort of knew what the label NeoCon was supposed to mean until I read the last post

Um no, if I were to vote by wallet I'd be voting Republican.

Macfistowannabe said:
Looked around, didn't see any that suggested that. He claims not to stand for a particular party, and all that jazz. He's concerned about how the candidates will provide for him, and this doesn't always have to mean financially. He's one of the more decent rappers in the industry, I wouldn't be so hard on the guy. Didn't he appear at the 2000 DNC? What interview prompted you into thinking this?

Why is this being hard on him? I just remember reading an interview recently in GQ or Details can't remember where, he said he votes to protect his investments, he's big in investments talked about his first stock was Wal-Mart. He said he didn't see politicians doing anything real socially so he was just going to look out for number one, he said some may see that as selfish, but that's how he got this far.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Um no, if I were to vote by wallet I'd be voting Republican.

It was sort of a joke, but not really. I vote Republican by my wallet, and others vote Democrat by MY wallet. Still others vote Green by MY wallet.

You probably don't think it's funny. I do.

It's that liberal Narderist "evil corporation" buzzword that gets that started. Evil corporation, such as... the one I work for, the one my dad worked for, and the one you work for. Oh wait, you don't have a job. :wink:

drhark said:

It means that most Neo-cons think that , most poor people are poor by their own fault. Often they are too lazy, too stupid, or some other nasty/arroganrt label they come up with or nearly impossible stardard to have [esp uinder unfortunate conditions].

Or if the neoCon is of Calvanistc persuasion they have a sort of circular reasoning that involves wealthy = deservedness/ worthiness.
>Therefore if one is born into a rich family they are automatically worthy.
>A poor person is poor because they are inherently unworthy.

The USA is not just a nation of individualists, we also have a certain amout of [small letter] commonweal(th)....of Community. ANd in most communities the rule of helping the least among us has alway applied.

But not so under Neocons :madspit:

Ah...I finally remebered the a phrase more than one person has uttered.... Neo-cons are Social Darwinists .

They are Social/Community Scrooges.......
'"better off they go and die & be done with it''[paraphrasing Ebeneezer here] I believe he [in film- alister sims version] is refering to those who are in, or about to go into the poor houses because of bad times come upon them, of whom some would rather 'die' than go into a poorhouse.

You see most Neo-cons Social Scrooges/Darwinists tend to only see the 'outisde' of the person and their current circumstances.

Under what troubles and difficult circumstances a person may display at a 'point' in time maybe, months, even years....they don't see that a person might have things of worth to offer a community.... even intangible things such as kindeness, watching out for others, good laughter to share, then more 'concrete' things as talents/intellegences that may have been thwarted/stymied etc due to outside circumstances, sudden situations, illnesses, accidents and economic downturns.

A person who says they've done everything themselves [to pull themselves up] is still standing on the shoulders of others before them[U/] who fought for/ or invented things, helped bring about circumstances & things that they often take for granted.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you feel that way dazzled, but it would put light on the subject if you can sight a specific example of how conservatives (or as you put it, neocons) think that "most poor people are poor by their own fault." Of course you used the word "neocon", which isn't how I would classify myself. Neocon is a bit of a twisty term, so it would help if you defined what it is and what a neocon stands for.

Neocons are social darwinists? Are you saying that neocons subscribe to the idea that people are poor because they are less genetically fit as the rich, because if that is what you are saying then I think that you are defaming those who subscribe to that ideology.

You assume that there is a universal neocon concept of what role welfare plays in society and then take the most extreme view as the mainstream, this is a generalisation that overlooks the benefits of doing things like encouraging economic growth instead of dishing out lots of welfare.

Just read the Kristol article, it goes over what neoconservatism is as a school of thought. way.http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/000tzmlw.asp?pg=1

The way that neoconservatism is treated by the media and left you would think that it is the ideological equivalent of Nazism, that it is a warmongering and authoritarian system that wants to make rich wall street bankers richer and make every minority group and poor person suffer untold pains.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom