Raul Castro: Cubans can have cellphones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Raul Castro: Cubans can have cellphones

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They aren't all they've cracked up to be...

I don't know where you are located or if you purchased your Cuban cigar by other means,

but I will heed your opinion and stick with my ocassional Tampa Pantela.

It is good news that the Cuban people can talk freely.

If they make only 20 dollars a month, how on earth are they going to afford a mobile phone even if they are allowed to have one? Sounds ludicrous

I went to a Cuban cigar factory, it was kind of interesting.

And as for how they can afford phones - have you been to Africa? There are literally zillions of phones out there, particularly in the East African nations like Kenya and Tanzania. It's really cheap, unlike here.

They will get them then employed FISA workers to bust all the Spitzers instead of the swallowers over there, causing a ruckus.

dbs

anitram said:
And as for how they can afford phones - have you been to Africa? There are literally zillions of phones out there, particularly in the East African nations like Kenya and Tanzania. It's really cheap, unlike here.

Even in Mali, one of the poorest countries in the world, most city dwellers can afford to have a cell phone. You don't have silly set contracts like here. You buy your phone, buy a SIM card, and then just re-up your credit at your own pace. I probably spent 5-10 bucks a month on my phone while I was there. Now between my b/f and I, we can't find a plan for under $60 here in the States. :(

Anyways, hope the Cubans enjoy their phones.

the iron horse said:
iron horse dreaming, if the embargo is lifted, he might smoke a fine Cuban cigar one day :)

Travel to Canada (or any other country probably) and you can fulfill that dream in an instant.

anitram said:

Actually, it's been stated that Cuba's moves here are mostly symbolic. The cost for both the hotels and the cell phones greatly exceed the average monthly Cuban wage, and the prices for both are not expected to decrease anytime soon.

It would make sense regarding the hotels because I know that one of the big selling points that the Cuban tourism board uses is how safe their resorts are, since you'll basically never run into a local person. Not so elsewhere in the Caribbean.

ramblin rose said:
I wonder why Raul feels the need to implement these reforms. I mean if Cubans didn't have the right to stay at the resorts under the great Fidel regime, why change now.

Dictatorships that pass to a new dictator do this quite often. Turkmenistan, a Stalinist dictatorship on par with North Korea, recently passed to a new dictator, and they've been undergoing minor reforms, as well. They probably see this as a "goodwill gesture," with the hope that they can shore up support and build an iron grip as tight as their predecessor during this time.

Some of these dictatorships are also known to re-tighten their grips after the "honeymoon" is over.

melon said:

Actually, it's been stated that Cuba's moves here are mostly symbolic. The cost for both the hotels and the cell phones greatly exceed the average monthly Cuban wage, and the prices for both are not expected to decrease anytime soon.

Exactly my point :shrug:

And I don´t think they can actually "speak freely"

Back
Top Bottom