Rate and advise Bono on Meet The Press if you watched it. Add Comments please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate the effectiveness of Bono's Meet the Press interview.

• Bono hit a homerun and convinced many fence sitters

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Bono didn't say anything new but I know his heart is in the right place and I will continue to suppo

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Bono did a great job sounded intellegent swayed perhaps a few but should shave, take off his glasses

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
I would be to busy looking at his:censored: to consentrate on what he was saying...that is how I was when I was watching Meet The Press

I wonder where Bono was in Dublin? Anyone notice the voice monitor thingy in the background? Maybe he was in the swanky new U2 Tower and felt slightly out of place...:eyebrow:

It was a good interview, but it wasn't the definitive Bono/Live 8 appeal to the masses I was expecting. But that's ok too.
Aside from the glasses, he came across as very human and less rock star-ish than usual.

As I was watching this I thought to myself I hope that Bush was watching it as well. I think it looks pretty bad for the USA, when all these other countries are willing to give more aid than our own country.

As an American that did make me ashamed to hear that we give so little to foreign aid..I think it was a sad 1% ...I think our private orginization contribute alot to help ....i think?:(

His :censored: What??? :) Surely you can give hints!

I didn't see this, but read the transcript. I HAVE to have this in my collection. Is there anyone who taped this???? PLEASE? Haivng it online is not enough. After the stupid Supreme COurt ruling today, we don't know how long Bit Torrent and such are going to be around.

Carmelu2fan said:
As an American that did make me ashamed to hear that we give so little to foreign aid..I think it was a sad 1% ...I think our private orginization contribute alot to help ....i think?:(

I believe we do give the most money, but we're what like 15th on the list based on percentage of GDP. That is the sad part.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I believe we do give the most money, but we're what like 15th on the list based on percentage of GDP. That is the sad part.

Actually, you don't give the most, even with your private contributions, and it's not even close.

I could dig up the statistic for you given in the Michka Assayas book, but I believe you are 15th with private aid and somewhere in the 20s without. I'd have to check, though.

Bono's image of complacent ppl standing around w buckets of water unwilling to put out a raging fire come to mind when thinking of our country's contribution.

db9

phanan said:
The only thing that bothered me a bit was when they touched upon the rampant corruption that goes on. Bono didn't seem to have a specific answer regarding those countries in question, but then again, who does? I think it is very important that a strategy be developed where aid can be received by those in need directly, thereby foregoing the shady leaders in power.

That's something I'm unsure about, myself. How effective can you be when ultimately you don't really have the power to enforce strategies in a given country? Also, I think it's a mistake to think that the problem of corruption lies only with the shady leaders. It tends to permeate a society on all its levels. It's so bloody depressing.

I taped it so I got to wake up late and enjoy the program. I thought Bono looked a bit tired, but didn't he have a concert the night before? So I assumed that was why he looked so tired. Probably he picked out those shades because they would hide them. Anyway, I thought he was very to the point... excluding the "uhms" and pauses for thought of course. :wink:

So my pick is #2. Lol. I do agree with Diamond though. He should cut his hair like in BD and not look like how he did when he was talking on FoxNews.

call me crazy but BONO is sexy no matter what he has on.....:coocoo: I do agree he did look tierd, but he looked tiered and sexy (if that is possible):flirt: I almost cold not concentrate on the interview because he had his top 3 buttons undone...I know shame on me!!!:reject:

Since when can´t a conservative businessman wear a full grown beard? Excuse me, Edgar Bronfman Jr.?

Some of you sound like a bunch of arrogant yuppies; you really frighten me at times. I know business rules, but the decision makers will not base their decision on Bono´s looks.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Agreed, sorry to keep going on about it, but I do wish he'd ditch the shades. From all these business, marketing, and communication classes and projects I've been taking/doing lately, it's just so important to honestly be able to look someone in the eye. The shades make it seem like he's got something to hide or he's afraid of being genuine or something. If you want people to believe you and in a sense, trust you, that's not good.

I took about the same classes as you I guess. And what can I say to you? My opinion is they are wrong.

Sure it is important to look someone in the eye. But so many deals are closed by email communication those days, in my managing experience, sometimes you don´t even meet the decision-maker whom you want to sell your latest companies´product.

I also wouldn´t go to a business meeting with sunglasses, but Bono can´t totally give up his rockstar image. He has to be credible for his fans first, and then for some business people he is trying to influence. Guess how many articles would critisize his new appearance if he dresses and behaves like a broker on Wall St.!

As to the marketing etc. classes: they want to create a totally perfect picture or the perfect streamlined busnessman/ woman and to transport that image to you. What they totally overlook is that most people are not perfect. We all know that people over 40 are too old for the job market, that women still get paid considerably less for the same work, etc. etc. We are all against those unfair exclusions of the job market. Oh, but for a marketing company it´s all different, no? It would be great if we were all models, jumped out of the next TV ad, and oh we´re all young and dynamic and whatnot. Next thing is that men under 6 feet or fat women can´t get a proper management job.

So all of that to say that.. I belive you learn this in your courses, because I did the same.. but those people are exaggerating in many of their views. In my opinion, it is much more important to prove you´re a mover and shaker in the biz. Sales numbers count, not the length of your hair (except in military).

Back to Bono: he has proved he´s a mover and shaker. The conservatives will have to think two times before they can afford to take him less serious because of his looks on a TV show.

Last edited:
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Sure it is important to look someone in the eye. But so many deals are closed by email communication those days, in my managing experience, sometimes you don´t even meet the decision-maker whom you want to sell your latest companies´product.

I agree. I'm a computer repair tech and about 1/2 of the work I do is through e-mail or over the phone, but I was more referring to this specific instance because Bono was being interviewed on TV, so phones and computers don't apply. I just feel like the image he's trying to create for himself when he's in his humanitarian role is not the image he's actually projecting to the audience.

I guess in general, I'm sick of Bono wearing the shades in ANY of his roles be it rockstar, humanitarian, dad, whatever. He seems to reinvent himself and his image for each album/tour, but somehow the stupid shades are STILL leftover from The Fly and to me it's getting old.

Brother Hiphop,
You missed the point completely.
The knuckleheads w the money arent as open minded as you.

db9

diamond said:
Brother Hiphop,
You missed the point completely.
The knuckleheads w the money arent as open minded as you.

db9

weeeelllll if i would critisize one thing it would be his suit. you just don´t wear suits with stripes that extreme. the original style is when you don´t really see the stripes, they have do be in the background. :cool:

and maybe he should close one button of his shirt its not like he is fucking john gotti :angry:

It would have been nice if Bono did clean up just a bit, at least get rid of the shades. They've grown so tiresome. I want to see his blue eyes. They're mesmerizing.

Anyway, looks aside, I thought Bono did a wonderful job. He was articulate, informed, and compassionate. I'm so glad he was interviewed by Tim Russert, a true journalist.

However, I did find the tilting a bit off-putting. Since when is Bono Vincent D'Onofrio from "Law and Order: Criminal Intent?"

Ooh, Bono and Vincent D'Onofrio...:drool:

You are so cool Golightly Grrl...I think Vincent D'Oniofrio is hot too, he is scary hot!!!!:drool:

Back
Top Bottom