Rastafari

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teenage_waste

Babyface
I was wondering, is anyone here into the rastafari movement? or has ever heard about it, I'm into it and well, it would be cool to discuss with people about such interesting movement (no religion) and meet you all.

Also if you wanna know more, be welcome and ask anything you want.

**Ivonne**

I'm a complete innocent on this, with the exception of some Bob Marley music. Can I have some highlights?

Without elaborating on it, I have accepted many of the Rastafarian viewpoints on life since I first heard Brother Bob's music in 1974.

I was also honored to see the man perform his music and extend his message of ONE LOVE several times in my life. :up:

That's all I have time to say right now. For further info on Rastafari, please try this link:

http://www.rastafari.org/

LET"S GET TOGETHER AND FEEL ALRIGHT.... :wink:

Blessings!

I´m a Rasta at heart. But I hold on to some bad habits like drinking and smoking tobacco, which I surely shouldn ´t, and therefore I am a bad Ras.

Jah Guide
Respect and Much Love :)

Last edited:
rasta%20homer.jpg

I like how Reggae singers "rasta-fy" the English language:
Ded-icated = liv-icated
Creation = I-ration
Me = I & I (oneness with Jah)
Irie = feeling alright

Any more?

Bob will forever be the greatest name in reggae, but the greatest reggae album has to be Bunny Wailer "Blackheart Man"

I think Rastas are against abortion. I've heard song lyrics from and interviews with Bunny Wailer, Steel Pulse, Dennis Brown and other bands.

To be a rasta, you have to believe that His Majesty Selassie I the First, Ras Tafari of Ethiopia, is the incarnation of God. I guess that's the part that disqualifies me. Oh yeah, and the ganja, the collie, that too. And of course the natty dreads

drhark said:
I like how Reggae singers "rasta-fy" the English language:
Ded-icated = liv-icated
Creation = I-ration
Me = I & I (oneness with Jah)
Irie = feeling alright

To be a rasta, you have to believe that His Majesty Selassie I the First, Ras Tafari of Ethiopia, is the incarnation of God. I guess that's the part that disqualifies me. Oh yeah, and the ganja, the collie, that too. And of course the natty dreads

Not having them dreads does not disqualify anyone. There are Rastas who wear dreads and Rastas who do not. However, it is true that you have to believe in Haile Selassie I in one way or another. This is the awaited black King that Prophet Marcus Mosiah Garvey told about. ..Garvey didn´t wear dreads by the way ;)

Carlton Barret (Bob's drummer) didn't either. Don't know if he was a rasta

Quite similar to the rumor about John Lennon taking an interest in Christianity, I have also heard something of Bob Marley converting to Christianity before his death. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is often at odds with Rastafari, but they recently honored Bob and hosted Rita during a tribute ceremony in Ethiopia.

I love his music though. I spend many summer days chilling on the beach listening to Marley in the hot sun and drinking cold beer (the last part may be sinful per Rastafari).

~U2Alabama

hiphop - I always had a sense that you were Rasta at Heart.

Maybe it is my 30 years of identifying as Rasta that fires up my activism for Africa.

Africa is the birthplace of Humanity - it is the Mother Continent of Humanity and to let it slowly die from neglect, poverty and AIDS is an abomination on all of our heads. (even the B-man has agreed)

Anyway, Rastas do NOT have to be dread. There are a lot of "Black-hearted" people who are not dread and a lot of dreads who do not truly believe in Jah.

Good to meet my idren in this forum. :bow:

Back
Top Bottom