Rape Is The Weapon Of Choice In Darfur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
from Time.com
Posted Sunday, Aug. 28, 2005

Who Speaks for Her?

Rape is the weapon of choice in Darfur, but Sudan's government doesn't want to hear about it

By SAM DEALEY / KHOR ABECHE

The rapes continued through the day. Kicked and beaten, their hands bound behind their backs, the women lay side by side on the dusty earth beneath Sudan's scorching sun. Nine in all, they were spoils of war, taken last April from their village of Khor Abeche in a dawn raid by the Arab militiamen known as Janjaweed, who had descended on camels and horses and in pickups mounted with machine guns. The women's village, on the cusp of rebel and government redoubts in South Darfur, was burned and looted; their husbands and fathers and brothers were shot when they protested.

At the Janjaweed camp, the men took turns smothering the women's faces in their long, colorful shawls. The victims were told they were the rebels' whores and daughters, they recounted to TIME, and when they cried out, they were threatened with death. As the blistering day gave way to a chill dusk, the women lay there, denied food and water, some sobbing and others asleep from exhaustion. With the morning came the rebels' counterattack. The Janjaweed fled, leaving the women behind.

Nearly 2 1/2 years since fighting erupted between African rebels and government-backed Arab militias in Sudan's western Darfur region, the horror continues. When TIME published a cover story last October on the unfolding genocide against Darfur's non-Arab Muslims, some 50,000 had died and 1.4 million had been forced from their homes. Since then, the war has claimed tens of thousands more; 2.4 million are now displaced.

Large-scale attacks on villages like Khor Abeche are increasingly rare, and Darfur's combatants seem mostly resigned to an uneasy stalemate. Humanitarian access has improved and fewer people are dying, but in the vast swaths of land outside the control of either the government or the rebels, lawlessness prevails. Attacks on trucks and aid convoys make roads too dangerous to travel, and the scared and hungry arrive at swollen relief camps daily. Even then, their safety is not ensured. At Kalma, Darfur's largest camp, refugees complain of government harassment, and women who venture beyond in search of firewood and fodder are often raped.

Rape is a potent symbol of the government's failure to ensure security. After a March report by Doctors Without Borders documented 500 rapes over a four-month period, senior aid workers were arrested for publishing false reports, undermining state security and spying. The charges were eventually dropped, but the government still denies the assertion. In June, Western diplomats and U.N. representatives gathered with aid workers in Kalma to discuss the government's failure to halt the rapes. Even as Sudanese officials contested claims of sexual violence, a slip of paper was handed to an aid worker. Another woman had been raped.

With Khartoum unable or unwilling to provide security, the African Union hopes to increase its peacekeeping force from 2,700 to 7,700 by September. But even that may not be enough to tame an area the size of Texas. Five turbulent rounds of peace talks have made little headway, and frustration and mistrust run high.

he hope is that Sudan's new coalition government, forged in July by the peace deal that ended a separate, 21-year civil war in the south, will succeed where the regime could not. But that prospect took a blow when rebel leader John Garang, the inspiration for Sudan's disaffected, died in a helicopter crash just three weeks after becoming Vice President.

Time is running short. Unrest is growing among Sudan's other marginalized groups, many of which are armed and may not wait for the new government to address their concerns. "How many armies and militias do we have in this country?" asks Hassan al-Turabi, the former speaker of the parliament who fell out with the regime he helped build. "Ten, and even 20 and 30. We are running the risk of disintegration."

For now Khor Abeche, like Darfur itself, lies somewhere between peace and disintegration. It was a ghost town two months ago, but villagers are returning under African Union protection. On a recent day, newly thatched huts stood beside the charred remains of others. As children played among spent gun cartridges in the village square, aid workers from World Vision distributed food under the stripped limbs of a baobab tree. "I feel safe now, but what is safe?" asks Amna, one of the nine raped in April. "I have felt safe before." It's an insecurity that will not easily go away. Several of the women are now pregnant, and their children will be lifelong reminders of Darfur's hatreds.

:sad:

thanks for posting this, MrsS. this is an issue that hasn't received nearly enough attention.

i'm at work and can't really get into it just now. just wanted to say thanks for posting another great thread.

:up:

Using the body of a woman as a trophy... or as a way to punish the men of another tribe or community..

I am disguted!

The things that are going on in Darfur are unbearable.

All the dead, the rapes and the violence....
I can't think about what will happen to the people who went through this in the future.
The rage they will have inside ... the pain... all the worst things that can turn to other violence and pain. It's really a scaring vision.

Please, join amnesty's campaigns NOW!

no, no, they have been doing something--debating about whether or not the situation in darfur is technically genocide. and deciding that no, it isn't, thereby justifying their lack of action.

:mad:

Oh but I thought the US was supposed to keep out of all the worlds problems? Unless it is genocide or natural disasters(Tsunami) or anything else that a liberal deems righteous enough to use military might.

Abomb-baby said:
Oh but I thought the US was supposed to keep out of all the worlds problems? Unless it is genocide or natural disasters(Tsunami) or anything else that a liberal deems righteous enough to use military might.

Way to make a sweeping generalization. :|

So many of these situations and various crises are entirely different, we have to treat each one individually, and pick our "battles"...the US has a strong military force but not an all powerful perfect one.

U2democrat said:
What is anyone doing about this...including the US? Oh, that's right...NOTHING.

It wouldn't be the first time we've stood by while things like this happened. :down:

I wish we could save everyone, but that's the same line of thinking that's gotten us into so many messes before. Everyone wants our help, but then when we give it, it's, "Oh, you're too late" or, "It's not enough, you guys suck." So, at this point, why should we help?

It's a really fucked up way to go about things, and believe, me I wish we could help everyone and make things better, but I don't see how it's realistic anymore.

Abomb-baby said:

Wow you are just full of generalizations today...

Yep, at least I have the balls to admit it. Others generalize on this forum all the time. but I guess as long as their opinion agrees with yours, it's okay?Bush is a dictator, Bush is a war criminal, Bush is the devil, those aren't generalizations are they?

Abomb-baby said:
Yep, at least I have the balls to admit it. Others generalize on this forum all the time. but I guess as long as their opinion agrees with yours, it's okay?Bush is a dictator, Bush is a war criminal, Bush is the devil, those aren't generalizations are they?

No they really aren't generalizations. It might be mislabeling the President, but I wouldn't call them generalizations. By the way I wouldn't use any of those descriptions for Bush except time may tell about "war criminal".

Mislabeling one individual and speaking in complete biased generaliations about a whole group are two entirely different things, but I'm glad you can admit it.

Abomb-baby said:

There's a difference between giving an opinion about Bush (however misguided or poorly informed) and making broad generalisations about others posters, for example claiming that all liberals hate the military. We try to keep discussions in FYM civil and respectful and making sweeping generalisations about other posters isn't likely to further respectful dialogue.

there goes another one of my threads

even in a thread talking about RAPE- unbelievable

this subject has nothing to do w/ the US and Bush..cut the crap, please

I just meant one person, I hope it's obvious which one..sorry

Last edited:
Who claimed all liberals hate the military? Not me. Its funny how whenever someone doesn't agree with a majority opinion on this forum, a mod has to step in. I guess I'm not drinking enough Kool-Aid. Where were all the protestors during Clinton's Kosovo Campaign? Why is no one in the US protesting these atrocites in Darfur? Why isn't Europe doing something? Why must america always be the one to take care of the world's problems? Germany, France, UK, Spain, where are you?

Abomb-baby said:
Who claimed all liberals hate the military? Not me. Its funny how whenever someone doesn't agree with a majority opinion on this forum, a mod has to step in.

You made a generalisation about "liberals" who "loathe the military."

most of the people on this forum are liberal and probably loathe the military

The mods are here to ask that people follow the forum rules and conduct themselves in a civilised manner -- whether your politics are left-wing, right-wing or otherwise makes no difference, simply abide by the forum rules and behave respectfully and the mods won't ever have cause to step in.

So which rules did I break? I have been called names in this forum and nothing ever happened to anyone. Because I disagree with someone's accusations, I'm not allowed to defend it? I respect others opinions. You claimed I made a statement claiming all liberals Hated the Military, I did not. Please re-read your post.
It was not my intent to hijack this thread with this crap but when I'm attacked I will reply in kind.

Abomb-baby said:
You claimed I made a statement claiming all liberals Hated the Military, I did not.

From another thread......in your own words....."I know most of the people on this forum are liberal and probably loathe the military....."

Abomb-baby said:

It was not my intent to hijack this thread with this crap but when I'm attacked I will reply in kind.

I was attempting to talk about women in Darfur being actually attacked, having their souls destroyed by a brutal act. Sorry but your worries about being "attacked" on an internet forum and replying in kind more than pale in comparison, and that's putting it mildly. So can you please stop, fizzing has asked you nicely to. I don't want this thread closed PLEASE

Abomb-baby said:
So which rules did I break? I have been called names in this forum and nothing ever happened to anyone. Because I disagree with someone's accusations, I'm not allowed to defend it? I respect others opinions. You claimed I made a statement claiming all liberals Hated the Military, I did not. Please re-read your post.

If you feel someone is personally attacking you or calling you names please report it to a moderator - either by using the report post option or by emailing or PMing any of the FYM mods. (We all have email addresses in our signatures so it's easy to contact us.) Responding to inappropriate comments with more inappropriate comments isn't the way to go - let one of the mods know and we'll deal with it.

And on that happy note, let's return this thread to it's original topic. If you want to discuss this any further you're very welcome to email or PM me.

I said MOST not ALL and PROBABLY. No, not ALL liberals loathe the military. Enough of this get back to the subject.

Abomb-baby said:
I said MOST not ALL and PROBABLY. No, not ALL liberals loathe the military. Enough of this get back to the subject.

So if I said most conservatives are ignorant, it would be fine since I didn't say all? Give me a break.

I fucking hate this place sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom