Rape Is The Weapon Of Choice In Darfur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm going to start clobbering people across the head with my shoes if they don't learn to read and understand simple requests to get a thread back on topic.

:wink:

seriously everyone, mrs springsteen started this thread to discuss a particular issue, so please at least show enough courtesy to let that discussion take place?

many, many thanks in advance.

I didn't really know how to respond to the issue at hand at first, I still don't really......I kind of wish some men would speak up on this issue, not that all men are rapist (not that at ALL), but, I dunno....it would just be nice to have some men making this an issue as well.

When I was in high school, our community became home to dozens of the Lost Boys of Sudan. They came to our high school and the local grocery store gave them all jobs (I remember one guy loved animals so he ran the pet department). I know one guy in particular, his name is Mayom, and he goes to my school. I used to tutor him for one of his computer classes, basically help him do the assignments at a slower pace to help his English and he was really good and caught on quick. He was also in my marketing class this summer and told us about his life. He has 18 siblings and his father has three wives. About half of his sibs and father were already killed at war. Towards the end of our class, he had to miss the final project because of that plane getting shot down and some other problems where he couldn't reach his family and more of them were being killed. It was terribly sad, but a good learning experience b/c I think a lot of times we tend to distance ourselves from these problems, but you look at it differently when it's your friend. He's a really great person, he even tried to join the military b/c he believes short of serving God, there is no greater honor than serving the country, but he can't yet b/c of citizenship issues. I guess if HE has that much pride in the US, having been a refugee of war himself, maybe something redeeming can come of this.....but, I dunno....

As long as women continue to be raped (en masse in some places), we are not equal. And the sooner we realize and accept that, the better it will be.

What's happening there is hideous and disgusting beyond belief. It's vile.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I wish we could save everyone, but that's the same line of thinking that's gotten us into so many messes before. Everyone wants our help, but then when we give it, it's, "Oh, you're too late" or, "It's not enough, you guys suck." So, at this point, why should we help?

Pardon? Please tell me I misunderstood that. Why should we help stop the female population being raped and/or murdered? You need a reason other than the fact that their lives are being destroyed?

If you ain't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Not you personally, obviously - I mean it in a general sense.

What a wonderful species we are.:mad:

I was attempting to talk about women in Darfur being actually attacked, having their souls destroyed by a brutal act. Sorry but your worries about being "attacked" on an internet forum and replying in kind more than pale in comparison, and that's putting it mildly.

Well said! Petty political nonsense should also pale in comparison to these atrocities. That may not be realistic but it doesn't make it any less true.

Last edited:
Ofcourse nobody want to interfere because they want the Oil of Sudan,....so better keep them as friends.

anitram said:
As long as women continue to be raped (en masse in some places), we are not equal. And the sooner we realize and accept that, the better it will be.

Best post in this thread, no offense to anyone else of course. I think that's the essence of it. And we won't ever be fully human either obviously. It's shocking that this is taking place anywhere in the world, just as it's shocking that any woman is being raped.

Like LivLuv said, I wish more men would seem to be making this an issue

(from the article) \/
MrsSpringsteen said:
Rape is a potent symbol of the government's failure to ensure security.

..........It's a hell of a lot more than that..........

There aren't really any emoticons that are worthy...
...... for a long time I've had... "issues" about rape. Disgusting, but really.... like someone said, there are no words for it.

It isn't of a civililized person to do such a thing...

MrsSpringsteen said:
there goes another one of my threads

even in a thread talking about RAPE- unbelievable

I know.....

=====

Abomb-baby, do you have insecurity issues or something?
I'm not familiar with you, but you sound almost scared :huh:

Abomb-baby said:
I said MOST not ALL and PROBABLY. No, not ALL liberals loathe the military. Enough of this get back to the subject.

yes, I hate it when people bring up things (...) ........ :huh:

=----------------------

Rape is a huge issue for me............

I guess that's all I'll say for now.........

Re: Re: Rape Is The Weapon Of Choice In Darfur

sallycinnamon78 said:

Pardon? Please tell me I misunderstood that. Why should we help stop the female population being raped and/or murdered? You need a reason other than the fact that their lives are being destroyed?

If you ain't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Not you personally, obviously - I mean it in a general sense.

What a wonderful species we are.:mad:

I personally feel that we should help in any way we can, but what I was trying to express in my post was that the US seems to not want to bother anymore for fear of backlash, and that's one of our biggest problems as a country. On the same token, I was also trying to explain that in some ways, yes, I do feel helpless to stop it because essentially it's "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

I'm a woman and I find this completely intolerable, and if anyone has any ideas on how I can help in any way, please, feel free to post links or give me some ideas.

Re: Re: Re: Rape Is The Weapon Of Choice In Darfur

I'm a woman and I find this completely intolerable, and if anyone has any ideas on how I can help in any way, please, feel free to post links or give me some ideas.

Thanks for the explanation, it's appreciated. I understand what you meant now. :hug:

I think this is a subject that raises a great deal of emotion in most of us.

Rape is a huge issue for me............

Yep. Me too.

Last edited:
Tbe question is rather how you can help.

"Doing something about it"- as Abomb and U2 democrat have started to discuss - just seems to include one way, sending troops in, either peace enforcement troops under UN authority or the US fly all over the place and bomb it for a couple of days.

Both is not going to help the raped women there

It is a tragedy, and the question is more whether we can do anything about it. In reality, it is the Africans who live in that place! They should do something about it! They should be supprted so they have the resources to help the women there. There are so many help organizations that could be helping. True, the region is destabilized. But I think a foreign army wouldn´t make much sense.

You can´t bomb a rapist down from 20,000 ft altitude. You also can´t go in and kill half a million of Afircan soldiers, some of them still kids, who are runnin around with Uzis there. So what you wanna do?

Sherry Darling said:
In you're in the DC-ish area, you can join Sojouners at "A Day for Darfur", which continues to try to press our leaders and media to meaningful action.

http://sojo.net

:up:

Wow, a Christian organization that takes distance from Robertson :up: ;)

Out of interest, what do you/ do the Sojourners excatly mean with "meaningful action" relating to Darfur?

As an edit to my post before; I think the AU forces should be equipped better so they could probably help the people in that region somehow; fight the extremist groups there.. but this is the only armed forces the people there would kinda be able to trust, maybe.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Wow, a Christian organization that takes distance from Robertson :up: ;)

Out of interest, what do you/ do the Sojourners excatly mean with "meaningful action" relating to Darfur?

Ew. Robertson. :down: :madspit: :yuck:

A few things Sojo has been doing
1. raising $ to support HR and relief work
2. calling on the media to contine/step up/begin (LOL) coverage of this
3. calling on US/UN/EU leaders to call it genocide and begin sanctions against the Darfur gov't

I'm at a loss about a military action. It's temping, but could easily just making things worse. :( The AU definitely needs to be better resourced adn trained if they're giong to be able to handle things like this.

:wave:

Back
Top Bottom