Race-based admissions upheld

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
:up: I spent a good part of my college career working closely with a committee on racial and ethnic diversity on my campus. Becoming more involved with the actual inner workings of this thing definitely made me aware of the need to continue towards integration. It's easy for many to see this as a non-issue, but I feel it's vital.

sulawesigirl4 said:
It's easy for many to see this as a non-issue, but I feel it's vital.

Just to clarify, I do not think it is a non-issue. I think it is wrong to give anyone points based on race. The next Supreme Court Nominee is going to be huge. This next Election is going to be huge. 5-4 was the margin of victory on this case. One replacement will swing many things.

I don't think its about integration as such. Selecting students with race as a factor is a completely a non academic way of approaching this. I'm not looking at it being disadvantageous to white students as part of the article noted. Its on par with jobs claiming the EEO banner, then asking applicants to specify if they are Torres Strait Islander or Aboriginal over here.
This isn't equality for anyone.

dread, I didn't mean to imply that you thought it was a non-issue. :) This particular topic of race relations and the latent inequity that remains so much a part of the system has been on my mind as I spent the weekend at a wedding with friends from that chapter of my college life. I wish it was possible to be "color-blind" but I don't think that our society has moved far enough to remove the safety nets. Personally, I felt that my college experience was greatly enriched by my friendships with students of various backgrounds, most of whom would not have been able to attend my particular school had it not been for active recruitment and admission. I have been lucky enough to grow up in a family where going to college was sort of a given, but many of the friends I met in college were not so fortunate. Some of them grew up in very low-income families and didn't have the built-in advantages that I enjoyed. So my personal feeling is that as a school and indeed as a society, we have a responsibility to reach out and to create opportunity for those who have historically been denied these things.

It's a band-aid fix that's gone on for far too long. The real problem should have been examined and fixed a long time ago, but it's been ignored. But until the root of the problem is fixed you can't remove the band-aid. The problem is that a large percentage of minorities are still not getting the education k-12 that they should be receiving. The lines are more economic than ethnicity. But is it possible to add points due to economic status? Once again it's the poor getting screwed, it's a vicious cycle, if you're parents couldn't afford to live in an area with better schools the likelyhood that you can't is pretty good.

It is an interesting subject.

I only know a little about it, but I have to say I find the lawsuit brought by the white female a bit sickening in this case. The fact that she is suing the school for her admissions or lack there of is disgraceful.

I actually think the Michigan "point" system is interesting, yet the court now has found it unconstitutional.

I am a believer in giving people a chance who may not have the same chance as others due to class, location, or race. It is just right.

Back
Top Bottom