R.I.P. For The Departed Souls Of 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Third year I'm doing this...

For The Departed Souls Of 2006:

Lou Rawls - Legendary soul, jazz, and blues singer and (sometimes) actor.
Jack Snow - Former professional football player for the (then)Los Angeles Rams.
Shelly Winters - Two-time academy award winning actress.
Wilson Pickett - R&G, Rock'n'Roll, and soul singer.
Chris Penn - Actor, and brother of legendary actor Sean Penn.
Coretta Scott King - Widow of civil rights leader and icon Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Al Lewis - Actor best known for his role Grandpa on 'The Munsters'.
Peter Benchley - Writer best known for writing 'Jaws'.
Franklin Cover - Actor best known for his role as Louise Jefferson's neighbor in 'The Jeffersons'.
Richard Bright - Actor best-known for playing Mob roles in all three 'Godfather' films as well as 'The Sopranos'.
Dennis Weaver - Actor best known for his role as Deputy Chester Goode in 'Gunsmoke'.
Willie Kent - Blues guitarist.
Richard Fleischer - Film director best known for directing '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea'.
Curt Gowdy - Legendary sportscaster.
Darren McGavin - Actor best-known for playing the title role in 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' and the father in 'A Christmas Story'.
Kirby Puckett - Former professional baseball player for the Minnesota Twins.
Slobodan Milosevic - Former president of Serbia and Yugoslavia.
Maureen Stapleton - Academy award winning actress best known for her roles in 'Airport', 'Interiors', and 'Reds'.
Don Knotts - Actor and comedian best known for his role as Barney Fife on 'The Andy Griffith Show'.
Ray Meyer - Legendary collegiate basketball coach with DePaul.
Bernie Geoffrion - Former professional ice hockey player for the Montreal Canadians and the New York Rangers.
Oleg Cassini - American Fashion designer noted for being chosen by Jackie Kennedy to design her State Of The Union wardrobes.
Caspar Weinberger - 15th Secretary Of Defense of the United States.
Louis Rukeyser - Business columnist and economic commentator best known for hosting the television program 'Wall Street Week With Louis Rukeyser'.
Billy Walker - Prominent English futbol/soccer player of the 1920s/1930s.
Paul Gleason - Actor best known for his role as Principal Richard Vernon in 'The Breakfast Club'.
Craig Heyward - Former professional football player for the New Orleans Saints, Chicago Bears, Atlanta Falcons, St. Louis Rams, and Indianapolis Colts.
Vince Welnick - American keyboardist, best known for playing with The Grateful Dead in their latter days.
Billy Preston - American soul musician known for his collaborations with some of the greatest names in the music industry as well as his own records.
Patsy Ramsey - Mother of JonBenet Ramsey.
Randy Walker - Collegiate football coach with Miami University and Northwestern University.
Kenneth Thomson - Canadian businessman, ninth richest person in the world.
Aaron Spelling - TV producer/mogul behind Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, Dynasty, Twin Peaks, 7th Heaven, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, and more.
Kenneth Lay - Former CEO and Chairman of Enron.
Syd Barrett - Founder and original frontman of legendary rock band Pink Floyd.
Red Buttons - Academy award winning actor best known for his role as Airman Joe Kelly in 'Sayonara'.
Mickey Spillane - Author of crime novels, most notably those featuring the character 'Mike Hammer'.
Mike Douglas - Comedian and entertainer best known for 'The Mike Douglas Show', one of the most successful talk shows of the 70s.
Joe Rosenthal - American photographer best known for taking the iconic photo 'Raising The Flag on Iwo Jima'.
Glenn Ford - Canadian actor best known for his roles as cowboys or 'ordinary men in unusual circumstances'.
Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter. Enough said.
Ann Richards - 45th Governer of Texas, and the first female governer of Texas.
Cory Lidle - Professional baseball player for the New York Yankees.
Red Auerbach - Legendary professional basketball coach and general manager with the Boston Celtics, architect and coach of the greatest dynasty in NBA history(as well of one of the greatest dynasties in sports history), and a true giant in the history of the NBA.
Ed Bradley - American Journalist, best known for his award-winning work on American newsmagazine '60 Minutes'.
Jack Palance - Academy award winning actor with a career spanning 50 years.
Robert Altman - Legendary film director.
General Augusto Pinochet of Chile - Former President of Chile.
Peter Boyle - Actor best known for his roles as the Monster in 'Young Frankenstein' and Frank Barone in 'Everybody Loves Raymond'.
Mike Evans - Actor best known for his role as 'Lionel on 'The Jeffersons'.
Ahmet Ertegun - Co-founder and executive of Atlantic Records.
Joe Barbera - Cartoonist and animator, one half of 'Hanna-Barbera', which produced legendary cartoons such as 'Tom And Jerry', 'Scooby-Doo', 'The Flinstones', and more.
James Brown - The Godfather of Soul.
Gerald Ford - 38th President Of The United States.
Saddam Hussein - 5th President of Iraq and Chairman of the Iraqi Revolutionary Command Council.

Every soldier to lose his or her life in Iraq and/or its surrounding countries this year.

Everyone else who departed Earth in 2006.

P.S. You may not agree with including certain names on an R.I.P. list, but this is not the thread for such debates.

[size=+1]Rest In Peace[/size], in 2007 and beyond [size=+4]R.I.P.
Sleep, Sleep Tonight, And May Your Dreams Be Realized
[/size]

Oh, so you're only including celebrities in this list huh. It's clear to me now that the lives of celebrities are more important to you than every day, common people. Such a shallow person. I despise this kind of attitude.

This thread is an outrage!!!!

shart1780 said:
Oh, so you're only including celebrities in this list huh. It's clear to me now that the lives of celebrities are more important to you than every day, common people. Such a shallow person. I despise this kind of attitude.

I didn't forget everyone else, but there is no way to list every single person who died this year.

shart1780 said:

maybe next year he can include everyone he doesn't know or keep it more general :up:

And another one, especially for Syd:

Shine on, Mr Barrett, shine on.

shart1780 said:

I would like to think this is a pathetic attempt at sarcasm, but going by some of your recent posts, I'm skeptical. I'm sure that if namkcuR knew the names of, say, every individual person who died of cancer this year, they'd be on the list.

I could say much more to you, but I'd rather keep the tone of this thread at least somewhat respectful.

Nice thread, but I want to do a wee bit of nit-picking:

Surely you don't really want the dreams of Pinochet and Saddam Hussein to be realized? They had some pretty twisted dreams...

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
If you can't list the names of every single person who died you shouldn't list any at all.

What kind of peculiar logic is that? :huh:

Isn't it awesome how every thread on this forum has the same people arguing the same things? :drool:

Isn't it awesome how every thread on this forum has the same people arguing the same things?

Seriously. :rolleyes: Especially since he's been doing this thread for three years and now all the sudden it's such a huge problem for certain people? OK then start your own threads for whatever people are missing from the list! :shrug:

Anyway, thanks for compiling the list again. I gotta say out of them all, I'm still stuck on Steve Irwin. Think about him every day.... :sad:

shart1780 said:
If you couldn't already tell I'm being sarcastic. I can't believe you took my posts in this thread partially seriously.

Well, generally when we are paying respects to people who've died, we don't make snide sarcastic comments. :|

Liesje said:

Well, generally when we are paying respects to people who've died, we don't make snide sarcastic comments. :|

Oh, I thought this was more of a spin-off of the "RIP Saddam" thread. Sort of a parody. I didn't know this was a regular thing.

Sorry.

shart1780 said:

Oh, I thought this was more of a spin-off of the "RIP Saddam" thread. Sort of a parody. I didn't know this was a regular thing.

Sorry.

Yeah, it's a regular thing actually. His first post states it's the third year.

80sU2isBest said:
Nice thread, but I want to do a wee bit of nit-picking:

Surely you don't really want the dreams of Pinochet and Saddam Hussein to be realized? They had some pretty twisted dreams...

anyone?

was only waiting for a response to that question...

i'd like to assume that the author merely pointed out their deaths as being significant, which they were, and didn't intend to indicate that those two particular individuals dreams be realized. :wink:

namkcuR said:
Third year I'm doing this...

For The Departed Souls Of 2006:

Lou Rawls - Legendary soul, jazz, and blues singer and (sometimes) actor.
Jack Snow - Former professional football player for the (then)Los Angeles Rams.
Shelly Winters - Two-time academy award winning actress.
Wilson Pickett - R&G, Rock'n'Roll, and soul singer.
Chris Penn - Actor, and brother of legendary actor Sean Penn.
Coretta Scott King - Widow of civil rights leader and icon Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Al Lewis - Actor best known for his role Grandpa on 'The Munsters'.
Peter Benchley - Writer best known for writing 'Jaws'.
Franklin Cover - Actor best known for his role as Louise Jefferson's neighbor in 'The Jeffersons'.
Richard Bright - Actor best-known for playing Mob roles in all three 'Godfather' films as well as 'The Sopranos'.
Dennis Weaver - Actor best known for his role as Deputy Chester Goode in 'Gunsmoke'.
Willie Kent - Blues guitarist.
Richard Fleischer - Film director best known for directing '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea'.
Curt Gowdy - Legendary sportscaster.
Darren McGavin - Actor best-known for playing the title role in 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' and the father in 'A Christmas Story'.
Kirby Puckett - Former professional baseball player for the Minnesota Twins.
Slobodan Milosevic - Former president of Serbia and Yugoslavia.
Maureen Stapleton - Academy award winning actress best known for her roles in 'Airport', 'Interiors', and 'Reds'.
Don Knotts - Actor and comedian best known for his role as Barney Fife on 'The Andy Griffith Show'.
Ray Meyer - Legendary collegiate basketball coach with DePaul.
Bernie Geoffrion - Former professional ice hockey player for the Montreal Canadians and the New York Rangers.
Oleg Cassini - American Fashion designer noted for being chosen by Jackie Kennedy to design her State Of The Union wardrobes.
Caspar Weinberger - 15th Secretary Of Defense of the United States.
Louis Rukeyser - Business columnist and economic commentator best known for hosting the television program 'Wall Street Week With Louis Rukeyser'.
Billy Walker - Prominent English futbol/soccer player of the 1920s/1930s.
Paul Gleason - Actor best known for his role as Principal Richard Vernon in 'The Breakfast Club'.
Craig Heyward - Former professional football player for the New Orleans Saints, Chicago Bears, Atlanta Falcons, St. Louis Rams, and Indianapolis Colts.
Vince Welnick - American keyboardist, best known for playing with The Grateful Dead in their latter days.
Billy Preston - American soul musician known for his collaborations with some of the greatest names in the music industry as well as his own records.
Patsy Ramsey - Mother of JonBenet Ramsey.
Randy Walker - Collegiate football coach with Miami University and Northwestern University.
Kenneth Thomson - Canadian businessman, ninth richest person in the world.
Aaron Spelling - TV producer/mogul behind Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, Dynasty, Twin Peaks, 7th Heaven, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, and more.
Kenneth Lay - Former CEO and Chairman of Enron.
Syd Barrett - Founder and original frontman of legendary rock band Pink Floyd.
Red Buttons - Academy award winning actor best known for his role as Airman Joe Kelly in 'Sayonara'.
Mickey Spillane - Author of crime novels, most notably those featuring the character 'Mike Hammer'.
Mike Douglas - Comedian and entertainer best known for 'The Mike Douglas Show', one of the most successful talk shows of the 70s.
Joe Rosenthal - American photographer best known for taking the iconic photo 'Raising The Flag on Iwo Jima'.
Glenn Ford - Canadian actor best known for his roles as cowboys or 'ordinary men in unusual circumstances'.
Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter. Enough said.
Ann Richards - 45th Governer of Texas, and the first female governer of Texas.
Cory Lidle - Professional baseball player for the New York Yankees.
Red Auerbach - Legendary professional basketball coach and general manager with the Boston Celtics, architect and coach of the greatest dynasty in NBA history(as well of one of the greatest dynasties in sports history), and a true giant in the history of the NBA.
Ed Bradley - American Journalist, best known for his award-winning work on American newsmagazine '60 Minutes'.
Jack Palance - Academy award winning actor with a career spanning 50 years.
Robert Altman - Legendary film director.
General Augusto Pinochet of Chile - Former President of Chile.
Peter Boyle - Actor best known for his roles as the Monster in 'Young Frankenstein' and Frank Barone in 'Everybody Loves Raymond'.
Mike Evans - Actor best known for his role as 'Lionel on 'The Jeffersons'.
Ahmet Ertegun - Co-founder and executive of Atlantic Records.
Joe Barbera - Cartoonist and animator, one half of 'Hanna-Barbera', which produced legendary cartoons such as 'Tom And Jerry', 'Scooby-Doo', 'The Flinstones', and more.
James Brown - The Godfather of Soul.
Gerald Ford - 38th President Of The United States.
Saddam Hussein - 5th President of Iraq and Chairman of the Iraqi Revolutionary Command Council.

Every soldier to lose his or her life in Iraq and/or its surrounding countries this year.

P.S. You may not agree with including certain names on an R.I.P. list, but this is not the thread for such debates.

[size=+1]Rest In Peace[/size], in 2007 and beyond [size=+4]R.I.P.
Sleep, Sleep Tonight, And May Your Dreams Be Realized
[/size]

just to get back on topic...

:sad:

Hope you don't mind some additions. I know they are covered in the "everyone else" category, but I think it's still in the spirit of the thread.

- Ian Rilen
- Grant McLennan
- Mr BAW's and Doozer's father
- Eddie -- nephew of Mr Baw & Doozer, cousin of DeadMansParty
- the father of another poster here (not sure the poster wants to be identified, so I'm not.)
-- Ian Copeland
-- the friends and relatives of the people on this board who have died this year

Some were famous, some weren't. All were important to someone. RIP.

I'd like to add two more to the list: Australian car racing icon Peter Brock and legendary New Zealand cricketer Walter Hadlee (who was also the father of the greatest pace bowler cricket has ever seen, Sir Richard Hadlee).

RIP.

anitram said:
Isn't it awesome how every thread on this forum has the same people arguing the same things? :drool:

:applaud:

Every day is Groundhog Day in FYM-where's Bill Murray?

And RIP to all except Saddam, sorry. If that makes me a horrible person well so be it.

No it doesn't, but your RIP for Milosevic and Pinochet sure do :wink:

The world is better off without some of these bastards walking around, and there is a big difference between that attitude and what they did; so maybe if we dump the moral high ground, feel sorry for good people who die and do whatever or nothing for the rest.

Back
Top Bottom