R.I.P. For The Departed Souls Of 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I didn't know they were in that list, I didn't read through all the names honestly. I just wandered in to this bizarro world :huh:

RIP to all except brutal murderous dictators and any of their ilk who might be on that list. Someone on CNN suggested that Saddam might have been responsible in some way shape or form for 1 million deaths, now that's something to ponder over your breakfast :|

Liesje said:

Anyway, thanks for compiling the list again. I gotta say out of them all, I'm still stuck on Steve Irwin. Think about him every day.... :sad:

It's always a shock when I read that, then I have to think: "Yes, it happened", and then I think of how just weeks before I visited his zoo and how the bus driver was speaking about the plans and all.

Pretty awful.

RIP Mrs. O'Brien, a friend of my mother

RIP Lance Corporal Eric Valdepenas, Corporal Jared Shoemaker , Chris Walsh-Navy medic. They all helped to save an Iraqi baby. They were all killed by a roadside bomb on September 4th, 2006

indra said:
Hope you don't mind some additions. I know they are covered in the "everyone else" category, but I think it's still in the spirit of the thread.

- Ian Rilen
- Grant McLennan
- Mr BAW's and Doozer's father
- Eddie -- nephew of Mr Baw & Doozer, cousin of DeadMansParty
- the father of another poster here (not sure the poster wants to be identified, so I'm not.)
-- Ian Copeland
-- the friends and relatives of the people on this board who have died this year

Some were famous, some weren't. All were important to someone. RIP.
Indra, thank you for your thoughts...I never stray too far in FYM but someone brought this to my attention...thank you for recognizing our father and Eddie...Eddie's service is Weds...

A_Wanderer said:
No it doesn't, but your RIP for Milosevic and Pinochet sure do :wink:

The world is better off without some of these bastards walking around, and there is a big difference between that attitude and what they did; so maybe if we dump the moral high ground, feel sorry for good people who die and do whatever or nothing for the rest.

I agree completely.

There's nothing wrong with this thread. It's physically impossible to list everyone who passed on in 2006, and the ones who were famous and well-known should be publically memorialized. I don't consider myself celebrity-crazy, either. I know damn well these people aren't any better than you or me. They're just known to many people. Personally, I wouldn't even mind a thread to celebrate every baby born to a famous person, be it a musician, actress, politician, etc, etc, as well as every baby born, period. Let's hear it for the babies of 2006! For the record, I think it would be possible for me to get a list of the babies born into my parish, but I don't know how appropriate it would be to post a list of Catholic babies. There were plenty of them to be sure especially if you want to include the community who come in at 1 on Sunday afternoon for a Spanish mass. I went to a bilingual mass once, all of the Latin people were there, and I've never seen so many babies in my life. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven because I love babies.

Last edited:
Incidentally, I agree with the people who want to exclude Saddam, Milosevic, and Pinochet. I'll be damned if I'll miss these people.

Adding Elena Mukhina to my personal list. She was one of the greatest gymnasts and athletes that ever lived. She was paralyzed in 1979 from the neck down b/c she had broken her leg and though not fully confident with her skills, was told to do her difficult tumbling pass by one of the team coaches and landed on her head. She died on Dec. 22 at the age of 46.

Elenamukhina1.jpg

-Tele Santana , One of the greatest football coaches

Coach of Brazil in the World Cup 82-86

-Ferenc Puskas ..... Needless to say anything bout this legend

Liesje said:
Adding Elena Mukhina to my personal list. She was one of the greatest gymnasts and athletes that ever lived. She was paralyzed in 1979 from the neck down b/c she had broken her leg and though not fully confident with her skills, was told to do her difficult tumbling pass by one of the team coaches and landed on her head. She died on Dec. 22 at the age of 46.

Elenamukhina1.jpg

that is really sad:sad:

Well, we lost a lot of folks who entertained us in some way this year. But, I would say that the world will miss a man like Steve Irwin in a big way. We need more people like him to do what's right and respect nature. Afterall, nature came first.

xaviMF22 said:

that is really sad:sad:

Yeah, it was such a terrible waste of talent, when she was paralyzed. She was competing skills most people cannot do now almost thirty years later. Had she not broken her neck, she would have further revolutionized our sport and I bet she would be as much of a household name as Nadia Comaneci. We're still not even sure why she died. I'm assuming some illness or complication with her condition. :(

MrPryck2U said:
Well, we lost a lot of folks who entertained us in some way this year. But, I would say that the world will miss a man like Steve Irwin in a big way. We need more people like him to do what's right and respect nature. Afterall, nature came first.

:up:

“My Daddy was my hero - he was always there for me when I needed him.

“He listened to me and taught me so many things but most of all he was fun.

“I know that Daddy had an important job. He was working to change the world so everyone would love wildlife like he did.

“He built a hospital to help animals and he bought lots of land to give animals a safe place to live.

“He took me and my brother and my mum with him all the time. We filmed together, caught crocodiles together and loved being in the bush together.

“I don’t want Daddy’s passion to ever end.

“I want to help endangered wildlife just like he did.

“I have the best Daddy in the whole world and I will miss him every day.

“When I see a crocodile I will always think of him and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals.

“Daddy made this place his whole life and now it’s our turn to help Daddy.”

LF20807.jpg

*sniff sniff*

Liesje said:

Anyway, thanks for compiling the list again. I gotta say out of them all, I'm still stuck on Steve Irwin. Think about him every day.... :sad:

:yes: Same here.

I don't even know who alot of those people are.

indra said:

Some were famous, some weren't. All were important to someone. RIP.

So true. :up:

I just want to say RIP to my best friends mum who passed away earlier this year.

RIP Angela. :(

RIP to all those who passed away this year except Saddam, Milosevic and Pinochet.

Last edited:
Liesje said:

Elenamukhina1.jpg

Thats awful. :sad:

shart1780 said:
Oh, so you're only including celebrities in this list huh. It's clear to me now that the lives of celebrities are more important to you than every day, common people. Such a shallow person. I despise this kind of attitude.

This thread is an outrage!!!!

Must we derail this topic this way?

RIP to ALL who passed on in 2006.

i agree that the "may your dreams be realized"-line is a bit inappropriate in saddam's and pinochet's case.

MrsSpringsteen said:
RIP to all except brutal murderous dictators and any of their ilk who might be on that list. Someone on CNN suggested that Saddam might have been responsible in some way shape or form for 1 million deaths, now that's something to ponder over your breakfast :|

Yeah... I feel sorrow for those 1 million people who died, moreso than for the man who brought about those deaths. I just can't bring myself to mourn for Saddam. lol.

RIP to Connie, who i have had the wonderful pleasure of working with she IS and WILL BE sadly missed by all who knew and worked with her. Connie died in a horrendous car crash on Boxing Day Evening.

RIP to all who have lost their lives on our Australian (and abroad) roads in 2006.

:sad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom