question about World Vision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So I'm finally able to start sponsoring a child, and was wondering what you folks thought of the World Vision scheme, and your experiences if any.

Thank you in advance.

foray

Sorry fors, was feeding the parasite.

We began sponsoring a young girl named Jane from Uganda. It was World Vision season when we started it; either the 40 Hour Famine or some television phone-in caper. We got her biography, though brief, a photograh, and a list of general information about her. I recall she liked soccer and maths. She was an orphan and lived with an aunt who couldn't afford to keep her in a villge she didn't know. We weren't allowed to send her packages or presents. Gifts could be things like cards, though no money or anything, basically things which were flat and paper. If we wanted to send her a present for an occasion, like a birthday, it had to be organised through World Vision. You see celebrities and so on swanning about these poverty and drought stricken places and they make it look as though their cessna just landed. Which is bullshit. Sponsorship was (at least) very tied up with red tape. We were welcome to write to her, though warned she might not reply either due to not having English skills or not being able to mail things out. The paperwork also mentioned that governments of these countries seized incoming aid, mail, etc, at times, so contact could be sporadic. Needless, this turned out not to be a problem. We sponsored her for about 10 years, and I wrote to her 0 times. I tried to very frequently. I'd sit down and think what I'd write. Tell her about my school? My 3 bedroom family home with my sister? My favourite food? Music? Books? I didn't think I could send her photos. She was drinking dirty water and I was going to send her a picture of the stray cats my family adopted? Why not just visit her and pat her on the head condescendingly, to top it all off. Now of course, it might be easier to write to someone who was sponsored, but as a teenager I couldn't.
World Vision sent many things to us outlining what the situation was in all those surrounding countries. It was thoroughly depressing and I couldn't grasp the statistics, let alone the stories. It's eye opening. World Vision will harrass you relentlessly, too, for more money, more sponsorships, care packages, the list goes on. You cant begrudge them, but they'll stick to you like the proverbial fly.

All in all, I recommend it. And I will sponsor again.

Thanks a lot, Ang, that was what I needed to hear. Good on you for sticking to it ten years, too. I've been thinking about the writing thing as well, and was wondering if I told the child stuff about my life and work, maybe it would spur him/her on or something. Perhaps a good idea would be to send drawings instead.

foray

Sounds like a great idea, fors. Where are you considering sponsoring? We decided she had to be female and anywhere on the African continent. I'd like to do two next, one from perhaps a little closer like Vietnam or Thailand, and another African child. Drawings are a great idea. I wonder if much has changed in the way of rules regarding that. Hopefully not. If you get more info on the current situ, could you update the thread? And are you going through NZ or Malaysia?

We've been sponsoring a child through WV for about three years now, and I give an additional percentage each month for AIDS vaccines through them. World Vision is definitely on top on a lot of the issues facing the third world. They certainly make requests for money -- I get probably two emails a month from them -- but I'd prefer to be continuously asked to help than to never know what's going on.

May I ask what it costs pre-month to sponsor a child? I used to sponsor a little girl from Mexico from Children International, and it got to be to expensive for me. Now I give through my church.

Ang: I started my sponsorship yesterday! I just randomly picked an 8-year-old boy from Tanzania, a place I know nothing about. While I was signing up, I might have been thinking of sula and her own heart for Africa. I will be going through WV New Zealand - why, do you think the different branches vary much in how they operate? Yes, I'd be happy to update this thread if anything else happens.

tiny dancer: Since you're in the US, I looked up WV's US website and apparently it is USD$35/month. For myself, I would be paying NZ$40/month, which is less than an average phone bill, so I find it very affordable.

nathan1977: Thanks for your vote of confidence, it makes me feel better about it.

foray

I dont expect they'd be greatly different, per country. If anything, you being able to provide some NZ info would be useful for me, as our dollars are similar etc, yeah? Back in those days for us it was the $1 a day era. I figured it was about 40 or 50/month now.

I should just get off my butt and look these things up myself.
Thanks for the info, fors. And congrats on your choice!

the only problem i have with sponsorship is that in countries rules by evil dictators and things whats the gaurentee my money is paying for food going to the villages and not being stolen by the government

zepher25 said:
the only problem i have with sponsorship is that in countries rules by evil dictators and things whats the gaurentee my money is paying for food going to the villages and not being stolen by the government

:eyebrow: This is World Vision we're talking about, not some shady mismanaged grassroots org. You get pictures of the people you sponsor. You can even be pen-pals, or go visit them if you want.

zepher25 said:

Groups like World Vision don't just drop money or food off at the airport. They are involved at the local community level - and they stay there - for a direct and long term investment.

Many governments allow World Vision to operate so they won't have to take care of their own people.

Back
Top Bottom