PTC-Tv Is Actively Seeking To Undermine Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but to tie all this back in to the point of the thread, i think it's totally false to say, as the PTC seems to think, that there's some sort of conspiracy to shove certain "hollywood values" down impressionable, innocent, dewy-eyed 14 year throats.

It's naive to assume that those working within Hollywood are unaware of the power of media to shape opinions and values. Everyone from GLAAD to the PTC to Sears is aware of this. For the most part, so long as such organizations don't get in the way of the bottom line, most higher-ups in Hollywood don't care either way -- hence why I think that most Hollywoodians don't give much thought to marriage either way.

I also don't think there's such a thing as "Hollywood values." However, there are lobby groups across the political spectrum working to get the ear of Hollywood, and the resultant attention of the world. One only has to survey the recent list of political donors to see which side has more of a listening ear in town. Reasons for this are many and varied -- personally I think it's because conservatives spend more time cursing the (real or perceived) darkness than lighting a candle -- but to say that there aren't agendas is a bit naive. TV is a medium for the advertisement of much more than manufactured goods.

TV is a medium for the advertisement of much more than manufactured goods.

while i think TV can do more than advertise goods, and it sometimes does -- think of the All in the Family famous "rape" episode -- the bottom line does not change, and there is never a noble television episode on a mainstream show. if the producers didn't think the AITF audience was ready for a "rape" episode, or, more likely, didn't think that handling a "serious" subject like rape would subtly flatter their audience (see? you watch *serious* television, good for you), then it never would have aired.

smaller networks and shows can get away with more. i don't think there's much of a question that the early episodes of The Real World, especially in regards to Pedro Zamora, were enormously influential in changing how young people saw gay people and say people living with AIDS. i also think that someone like David Chase views himself as an artist -- though he has certain standards of sex and violence he needs to hit in order to make Shelia Nevins happy.

to think that any one person gets an agenda across misses the vast spectrum of influences that push and pull and shape whatever original idea there was does miss how complex the machine actually is.

I also don't think there's such a thing as "Hollywood values." However, there are lobby groups across the political spectrum working to get the ear of Hollywood, and the resultant attention of the world. One only has to survey the recent list of political donors to see which side has more of a listening ear in town. Reasons for this are many and varied -- personally I think it's because conservatives spend more time cursing the (real or perceived) darkness than lighting a candle -- but to say that there aren't agendas is a bit naive. TV is a medium for the advertisement of much more than manufactured goods.

are you suggesting that, say, the Clintons aren't only after Hollywood money? that they, say, sit down with Steven Spielberg and ask him to represent various aspects of their political platform in his next movie?

i think artists, actors, directors, writers, etc., are naturally more liberal. not all, but most of them are. why? that's a crazy complex subject.

are you suggesting that, say, the Clintons aren't only after Hollywood money? that they, say, sit down with Steven Spielberg and ask him to represent various aspects of their political platform in his next movie?

Of course not. Such meetings would be unnecessary, since most people here are already in the tank for the DNC -- and some are probably more liberal even than that. At the same time, it's no secret that GLAAD vets TV and film scripts, or that Ted Baehr regularly tries to meet with studios to give them his take on their stuff. It's a part of life -- people want to use the media to influence their particular worldview, and as long as such activities don't get in the way of the bottom line, they are free to do so.

The reasons for why artists are mostly liberal here would make for a fascinating sidebar conversation.

Back
Top Bottom