Province of Quebec leaders block Tribute to Queen Mum over Inclusion in Commonwealth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
It's really unsurprising. The French do not like the English world. The Queen Mum, to them, probably means as much to them as, let's say, the Dutch monarchy to us. Different sphere of cultural influence.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

For once, I agree with the Bloc in principle on this issue. Canada should have long ago dropped the acknowledgement of inclusion in the Commonwealth and the reference to our people as subjects. It is archaic.

But must the Bloc always take the most aggressive stance? The statutes of the land were the same 2 weeks ago as they were today but the Bloc needs to use the Queen Mother's death as a political platform, anything to differentiate themselves from the rest of Canadian governance. The fact is they need to keep themselves in the papers as a front to the fading face of seperatism.

Though I don't believe in Canada's future inclusion as a 'subject' of the British empire, not unanimously supporting the Canadian tribute is rather petty in my books.

from the ottawa citizen

Separatists reject message to royals
Bloc Qu?b?cois objects to reference to 'subjects of the Crown'

James Baxter
The Ottawa Citizen

Tuesday, April 09, 2002
Canada's national message of condolence to the Royal Family over the death of the Queen Mother failed to receive all-party support yesterday after members of the Bloc Qu?b?cois objected to being called "subjects" of the Crown.

Despite backroom efforts to garner unanimous support for the emergency motion, Bloc MPs refused to endorse the government's message of condolence because, while admitting she had lived a great and valuable life, they objected to language that referred to the Queen as sovereign over Canada and, by extension, Quebec.

The Bloc also objected to the motion containing references to God.

"We deeply regret not being able to participate in a unanimous motion," said Francine Lalonde, the Bloc MP for Mercier. Lalonde said the Queen Mother had certainly lived an important life worthy of praise, and offered a revised motion that would have dropped all references to the Crown's rule in Canada. "It would seem to us (the Bloc) that this House should give unanimous support to a motion. It is for this reason that we today offer this amendment."

Outside the Commons, Bloc house leader Michel Gauthier was much more blunt, pointing out that the resolution put forward by Prime Minister Jean Chr?tien's government is "absurd" and almost a carbon copy of the one adopted by the Canadian government in 1952 following the death of the Queen Mother's husband, George VI.

"It proves that (Jean Chr?tien) is a man of the past," he said.

Despite the Bloc's "blatantly political" actions, described by members from other parties as "regrettable" and "embarrassing," most MPs offered words of praise for the Queen Mother, who died in her sleep March 30 at age 101.

"Although royal in stature and regal in bearing, she had the ability to connect with anyone, an indication of her true style," said Heritage Minister Sheila Copps, in her speech introducing a motion before the House for a national message of condolence to the Royal Family. "All of these characteristics went hand in hand with a genuine love for life.

"The Canadian Crown has lost a part of itself and the Canadian family now mourns one of our own. Canadians are deeply saddened by the loss of Her Majesty. In an ever changing world, she was truly a symbol of enduring strength and stability and service to humankind. We shall miss her."

The Liberal motion was quickly seconded by members of the Canadian Alliance, many of whom praised the courage and warmth of the Queen Mother, especially during the Second World War. "She was near and dear to Canadians because she personified the values that are at the core of our identity as a people, values such as dedication and loyalty to family, duty and country," said John Reynolds, acting leader of the opposition in the House of Commons. "She demonstrated discretion, poise and grace under the pressures of public life. She will be profoundly missed by people all over the world -- and, in particular, the people of Canada and the Commonwealth.

"Her Majesty was part of so many of Canada's celebrations; we will miss partying with her. Once again we offer our condolences to Her Majesty and her family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them while we share in their bereavement at the loss of Her Majesty the Queen Mum."

Tory leader Joe Clark said the Queen Mother left a lasting impression on his family when, in 1979, she supported Clark's wife, Maureen McTeer, in her decision to continue using her maiden name. Clark said the Queen Mother told his wife: "Just be yourself. Don't let them get you down, Ms. McTeer."

"The Queen Mother was a powerful and courageous symbol," said Clark. "She was a wonderful and sensitive person. We extend to the Royal Family our most sincere sympathies and our prayers during this time of sadness."

Alliance MP Jim Abbott said all Canadians should feel a sense of loss.

"She was the mother of our present sovereign, Queen Elizabeth II, but the Queen Mother showed us that a woman does not have to be a mother to become a grandmother," said Abbott. "A grandmother is a loving, kind, strong, resourceful, dedicated, disciplined human being who imparts important values to those she loves. The Queen Mum truly was a royal grandmother to the world, and what an exceptional person she was. As nanny to us all she won the hearts of millions around the globe with her warmth and sympathy."

Canadians will end a week of mourning for the Queen Mother with her funeral in London and memorial services across the country today.

Coverage of the services in London get under way on all major Canadian television networks at 5:30 a.m. and will run for about three hours.

Canadians will also say farewell to the Queen Mum in an hour-long memorial service at the Christ Church Cathedral in Ottawa, beginning at 12:30 p.m. The service, which will feature the Queen Mother's favourite hymns and a piper's lament, will include a eulogy written and delivered by Gov.-Gen. Adrienne Clarkson.

Protocol officials said yesterday they expect to be able to accommodate 400 members of the public in the church, along with another 400 in an adjacent room watching the service on closed-circuit television.

The Bloc Qu?b?cois' decision to vote against the motion of condolence is in keeping with the cool reception the sovereigntist movement has traditionally had towards the monarchy.

For example, Canadian flags across the country have been at half-staff since shortly after the news of the Queen Mother's death was made public. But while Quebec Premier Bernard Landry immediately sent a message of condolence on behalf of his government, he decided that the fleur-de-lis atop Quebec government buildings will only fly at half-staff the day of the funeral.

Well, if the Canadians are indifferent, the Australians are nothing but adamant about the Queen Mum and the rest of the Royal Family, and its bloody ridiculous. I say we should get rid of this 'commonwealth' business, along with the Royal Family. There, I said it. I've been wanting to say it for ever so long, but if one says that over here one is considered either mad or not a true Brit.

Ant.

Originally posted by Anthony:
Well, if the Canadians are indifferent, the Australians are nothing but adamant about the Queen Mum and the rest of the Royal Family, and its bloody ridiculous. I say we should get rid of this 'commonwealth' business, along with the Royal Family. There, I said it. I've been wanting to say it for ever so long, but if one says that over here one is considered either mad or not a true Brit.

Ant.

hold your sovereign horses there anthony. amongst canadians opinions like yours and mine are also in the minority. canadian population, on the whole, is far from indifferent.

I find the whole monarchy business to be quite silly. Also, my guess is that in Canada, as immigrants continue to amass in number, the Commonwealth will play a lesser and lesser role. As it is now, most people are holding on to it just to distinguish the country from our southern neighbours.

Originally posted by anitram:
As it is now, most people are holding on to it just to distinguish the country from our southern neighbours.

Yeah, because WE decided 200+ years ago that monarchies weren't for us, so we kicked them out.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

*just trying to stir up some American/Canadian angst*
wink.gif

I find the concept of monarchy to be obsolete. And if it is just "symbolic," then why retain it? Sure there have been a few good-hearted, reformist monarchs in the past century (the late Queen mother of whom this thread speaks, the late King Hussein and current King Abdullah II, both of Jordan) but their very method of ascension to their position, symbolic or not, is deplorable.

The same goes for the British Commonwealth; it is a symbolic vestige of the British Empire, which is "imperialism" which most people in here rail against. When I go to the Bahamas, I find it odd to see some old white lady on a dollar bill!

Man, I am glad we broke from that whole system!

~U2Alabama

I see the monarchy as the only family on the planet which lives in luxury and gluttony while on welfare. God knows these people don't get up in the morning and go to work. I guess people are keeping it as some symbol of antiquity, since there is no practical use of it.

Back
Top Bottom