Protests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odowdpa

The Fly
My only beef with the protest is that most of the people carrying signs have no clue what is going on in reality. If I see one more sign that says, "Let's end this war, vote for Kerry," I am going to lose my mind. I am sure a fair # are well versed on the issues, but a majority of the sign bearers are lost. They just think its cool to protest, they must have just seen Forrest Gump, who knows. And when I say "they", I mean the early-to-mid twenty somethings that I see walking. And can the young ladies who are screaming for an end to war, please, and I stress PLEASE shave your under arms. For God's sake, thats not a sight for anyone to see on a early Sunday afternoon.

I think they should have some kind of test on current political issues that everyone has to take before they are allwoed to vote

that would be interesting

not being informed hardly ever stops anyone from doing something nowadays

It just kills me. An example, Hannity has Thursday on the Streets where he randomly goes up to people in New York. He asks whom they are voting for. Kerry is the dominat answer. He'll then ask why - In all of his years in Senate, what has impressed you most? The dominant answer is "doy, i dont know"

I just wish people would know why they are voting for someone. It's sad to see people vote with no reason behind it.

Yeah, I mean look at how many people admire Bush. If they only knew the truth, or were well-versed on his track record in reality, they'd vote for Nader...or Kerry...I mean KERRY.. Who's Ralph Nader :rolleyes:

As for the women with armpit hair: go to college and open your mind. It's natural...perhaps you fear reality? The reality of what women grow out of their skin? Ehh? It's amazing how little people know about human biology.

As for belief that everyone should pass a test to vote: You know that would exclude the majority of the southern vote, don't you? Wouldn't that mean the best candidate would win? Hmmm? :ohmy:

As a southerner (ahem) I would be very much against having people take a test to vote.....it's too reminiscant of the discrimation against blacks around here from 50 years ago. That's just not how American democracy should work. Like it or not, ill-informed people can vote too.

Hm, you object to armpit hair? It's August, and some people don't want to wear sleeves. They don't have to be articulate about Kerry's voting record to know that he's not George Bush, and yes, there are some big time opinions and passions out here.

so kerry supporters have armpit hair and hairy legs, bush supporters have no teeth... i'd call it even. :wink: stereotypes rule!

the organizers claim 400,000 people took place in the march... the police claim 120,000. i tend to agree with the police, 'cause frankly, why would they lie? it's not like the nypd and bloomberg are on the best of terms right now, so why would they make the numbers lower to make the republicans look better? everyone saw it, what's to hide? i'm guessing that many of the people at the front of the march got down to union square, hopped on the subway and headed back to the start and did it all over again, giving a more inflated look to the march... but still... 120,000 is impressive, wether i agree with their message or not... and thankfully it all passed peacefully. let's keep it that way for the rest of the RNC and we can all go home happy, regardless of political affiliation

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
thankfully it all passed peacefully. let's keep it that way for the rest of the RNC and we can all go home happy, regardless of political affiliation

i agree...when protests get violent they only hurt their own cause, whatever the cause may be.

odowdpa said:
It just kills me. An example, Hannity has Thursday on the Streets where he randomly goes up to people in New York. He asks whom they are voting for. Kerry is the dominat answer. He'll then ask why - In all of his years in Senate, what has impressed you most? The dominant answer is "doy, i dont know"

I just wish people would know why they are voting for someone. It's sad to see people vote with no reason behind it.

I don't think that not knowing Kerry's history in the Senate equates to not knowing why they would vote for him.

I did go to an esteemed college and none of the girls I saw ever had armpit hair. Maybe that was the cool thing to do at your community college, Danospano, but I'm not gonna judge
:madspit: :hug:

dano, I think it is ill-informed of you to make such statements about educated people and southerners. Not being very open-minded there are you? Anyway, I know smart, educated people who are voting either Dem or GOP. Also, that remark about southerners was way out of line IMHO. The demonization by both sides only creates a much harsher atmosphere. Let's try and be civil towards one another and all voters. In the end, aren't we all human beings who deserve to be treated with respect?

odowdpa said:

I trust Hannity to show Democrats who know the issues about as much as I trust Jay Leno to show people who know US history/current events during his "Jaywalking" bit. It's not in their best interests.

I'm a Southerner, from the heart of Dixie itself, Alabama. This afternoon I went to Cullman, a small town just north of here, to meet with other medieval re-enactment people. I mentioned that my sister and her boyfriend had come here from NYC to get away from the crowds, and he said the RNC "isn't my brand of politics". "I'm on the other side", he said. I wasn't exactly shocked since the guy is gay. But we're a huge minority in this group, most of our members are very conservative.

It's always great when i see a kerry/edwards bumper sticker around here. this is a very conservative area, (former capitol of the confederacy........) and the amount of kerry/edwards bumper stickers i see is astounding, and very pleasing!

I get a buzz every time I see a Kerry-Edwards bumper sticker. I actually have one, but I never put political bumper stickers on my car. I am really shy about controversy. There are a few yard signs in my neighborhood. I was pleasantly surprised to see those stickers. There are probably not more than six families planning to vote that way in November around here, this is solid Bush country.

Its too bad that Bushhitler and Herr Ashcroft has crushed all dissent in this fascist police state that was once the land of the free, watch as his stormtroopers go out and stop people from doing once allowed things like burn down McDonalds, light bonfires and blow up subway trains.
/Moore-on logic

Get real people, this is freedom and democracy at work, people are allowed to be total imbeciles and wankers with rank hypocracy to boot. Ban FoxNews was a well worn catchcry - only let me think, banning media outlets that you disagree with would actually be control of information. These protestors are enjoying their right to free speech - although I am not an American I live in a free country and I have the right to say they are a bunch of lefty-anarchist moonbats who have no comprehension of the real world and will most certainly do damage to Kerry's campaign than Bush (I don't remember violent Republican protestors at the DNC).

And again, communists for Kerry - the smartest protest group (albeit against Kerry) ive seen in a long while.
Lenin_meanGuitar2.jpg

Last edited:
No, I do agree. I don't enjoy Fox News, but there is (still) such a thing as free speech in this country. They have the right to have their say, just as we have the right to disagree.

A_Wanderer said:
Get real people, this is freedom and democracy at work, people are allowed to be total imbeciles and wankers with rank hypocracy to boot.
yeah, internet forums proof this day after day

:lol: salome

A_Wanderer said:
(I don't remember violent Republican protestors at the DNC).

I think that's because there rarely were more than few hundred gathered to protest at the DNC. Unfortunately some of them were indeed violent. But crowds of 200,000 are going to have a few more loose cannons than crowds of 200.

U2democrat said:
As a southerner (ahem) I would be very much against having people take a test to vote.....it's too reminiscant of the discrimation against blacks around here from 50 years ago. That's just not how American democracy should work. Like it or not, ill-informed people can vote too.

I am also from the south and I think it's needed very much! We have way too many people voting when they don't understand the issues or know what the candidates really stand for. It's not fair to the majority of people who are well informed when they vote to get stuck with the wrong candidate because someone voted only because somebody told them which was the 'right' party, or worse yet because somebody bought them off with cigarettes (which happened in Philadelphia in 2000) Letting an uninformed person vote is like letting a burger flipper do neurosugery on you. Sorry I believe there has to be a level of competency there to trust someone with such an important task, especially one that affects the whole population and in a way the entire world.

I also don't understand everyone touting Kerry as the anti-war candidate. He has NEVER said he'd stop the war, in fact, he has issued statements that he will reduce forces within FIVE YEARS! Bush has promised to reduce them by the end of next year. Anyone voting Kerry because they want the war to end is uninformed and sadly mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom