Prince Harry Wears Swastika To Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
digsy said:
that said, has anyone seen what the theme of the party was...?
"Natives and Colonials"
know if anythign is offensive that is - its such a stark indication of the upper classes and the supremist little world they live in. No one mentions that William went dressed in leopard skin as a "native". personally i reckon thats pretty offensive....
this lot must be taking advice off Grandpa Philip...
"Gramps, i got a Native and Colonials fancy dress party, what should i go as?"
"Well why dont you go as a spear chucker (his words once in reference to Aborigines) and you as a Nazi"
lets be honest... its a Philip type thing to do!

I couldn't agree more. Instead of pushing Harry and William to take a unnecessary trip to Auschwitz to prove they recognize the horrors of Nazism, they (and Europeans in general) could focus on stopping the glorification of colonial times. And instead of milking this and making some easy money, tabloids could publish articles about the support the Nazi party got from the British aristocracy and industrialists. That would ruffle some feathers.

Ah well, I’m tired of people beating this dead horse.

when i went to college, a popular party theme was "Pimps 'n Hos." it's hard to draw the line sometimes -- embedded in just those words are a milllion-and-one social issues, with racism and misogyny being just two. yet, at the same time, is it not also patronizing to assume that the partygoers are firstly endorsing these things (saying that it's good to be a pimp, or good to be a ho) and are utterly unaware that they're replicating for fun a very real social crisis (the need some women have to prostitute themselves)? maybe these students are fully socially aware, and view it as simply costume and performance -- a way of mocking in order to remove the power from. i.e., "the producers"?

I believe when U2 did what they did, it was an anti-Nazi statement.

I don't see any indication that Prince Harry was making that kind of statement. If he thought it was funny or cool, then he needs help.

They were discussing this last night on CNN, and someone suggested that people of Prince Harry's generation aren't that aware of the horrors of Nazism, the extent of the atrocities. I can't see how that's possible, and if they aren't, that is extremely pathetic.

It is different sense of humourous in England.
Germyny is a very serious place where you go to the jail if you were the swastika.
But i don't know why people can think Harry is the nazi. This is something amazing to my mind.
Harry is a bit stupid perhaps but even if not he is allowed to have fun in costume of idiots that his ancestors killed. It is same for putting the foxes head on the wall. Old tradition of the hunting man.

Last edited:
Good Lord people.

It was a party costume. A poor choice for one, granted, but it was a party costume nonetheless. He's apologised, he's agreed to go with his brother on a trip to Auschwitz later this month, what the hell more do you want from him?

He's a 20 year old male! 20 year olds make mistakes, even if they are members of the royal family. He was caught drinking and smoking a bit of weed a while back I remember; people were all up in arms about that, but people fail to realize that if you went to a normal party of 20 year olds you won't find much different. Hell, you could go to a party full of 15 and 16 year olds and find much worse. But nobody cares about that.

So he's exercised some poor judgment. He's apologised, he's learned a lesson, what the hell more can you ask of the kid?

He's obviously just trying to live a normal teen life as much as he can, being 3rd in line for kingship and having lost his mom in such a brutal way at a young age.

Let the kid live a little. People need to stop picking over every little mistake he makes.

Quite frankly, I'd much rather have Harry as my King than William.

Harry's just a stupid kid, rebelling as much as possible before he goes into the army. He didn't have much chance to be brainy, with his family's genes. bless 'em :laugh:

BTW, William was there when he chose his costume

I think both harry and william, but harry in particular, are struggling to adjust now they've become adults and the press have started covering their movements again

And I'm have to say, I'm not convinced that Harry would be that much different if his mum was still around. She wasn't the angel the media made her out to be

:shrug:

No, but she at least had the good sense to 'appear' useful, as opposed to running around and causing people offence, Unfortunately, Royals such as Charles, Phillip, Harry or the Duchess of York and countless others, never really had this trait.

Princess Diana has always been, and will remain, a controversial figure. I will not defend the 'Saint' status she was afforded, but I will say this - that woman did a lot more good than harm for the public (nevermind the Royal Family) and at least tried to do 'some' good with her power and wealth. Silly and naive or manipulative and scheming - take your pick, the woman didn't go around insulting her subjects. She, like the Queen, realised that the only thing the Royal family can do is at least appear to be useful.

Its a shame other Royals can't do the same.

Ant.

mar22-03-0004.jpg

DaveC said:
Good Lord people.
It was a party costume. A poor choice for one, granted, but it was a party costume nonetheless. He's apologised, he's agreed to go with his brother on a trip to Auschwitz later this month, what the hell more do you want from him?

Exactly.

This is getting ridiculous. Over 150,000 people have died in Asia and what Prince Harry wore for a PRIVATE party is dominating the news - surely, it's a sensation,it's going to make a fuss and sell the papers! :rolleyes: Understand that was a tasteless choice but the kid will grow up! And excuse me,The Sun are always being hysterical where and when it suits them.Didn't they go for Sir Bob Geldof when he said "Holocaust was a tea party compared to Ethiopia"?I bet if he said vice versa they couldn't care less.Do they ever talk about the Orangist parades in N.Ireland and how the Catholic population feel about that? Would they kick up such a fuss if Prince Harry wore a Roman costume for a fancy dress party? After all, didn't the Romans feed Christians to lions?

Last edited:
oceane said:
I agree this was a bad move on his part, but I can't help to see the irony in the fact that the party he was going to had 'Colonial Africa' as a theme ( I heard this on the radio). So if he had dressed up as a British or Dutch Colonial Officer in 19th Century South Africa, or in a ridicule 'primitive' African dress for example (like probably most other rich kids there), nobody would have cared.

Hundreds of years of slave trade, all the damage and plunder the British Empire was responsible for in Africa and elsewhere in the world, apartheid, all that is ok for a party theme. But a swatsika ? Nooooo...

Don't get me wrong, anything related to the Nazis disgust me to the highest point, and I certainly don't think the Holocaust or WWII is any subject for fun and partying. But this double-standard from our part (Westerners) never ceases to amaze me.

:up: I couldn't say it better!

However, wearing a costume like that is inexcusable, especially in his position.

What would you say if the Bush daughters appeared like that?

This 20 year old lad should spend a few weeks in a concentration camp with his Hooligan friends. Maybe they can try the showers [insert sarcastic smile here].

It is disturbingly distasteful that Prince Charles doesn´t utter a word on this. Could be the Royal family has no proper education?

Last edited:
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
What would you say if the Bush daughters appeared like that?
I wouldn't defend them either, and somehow it changes everyone else's story. It all depends on who it is.

Back
Top Bottom