Prince Harry in Afghanistan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great, now that it is no longer a secret, the Taliban will make his company more of a target.

But at least he's getting to do something with himself :up:

Harry has been withdrawn from what i have been told, some stupid american publication blew his cover. All respectable publications knew but were sworn to secrecy.

It was originally leaked in an Austrailian news magazine a month ago...read the fuckin' article :wink:

I don't agree with his posting. If it's true that he's now been withdrawn then that's good news. Him being there puts extra danger on his fellow troops. And if anything actually happened to him, ie: he was captured or killed, Brown would go all out and kill god knows how many more people and this saga will go on and on even longer, with troops who have been promised a return home soon, suddenly finding themselves staying on indefinately.

Canadiens1160 said:
It was originally leaked in an Austrailian news magazine a month ago...read the fuckin' article :wink:

British news channels are claiming the Drudge Report to be the source.

Military service isn't a requirement for children of Presidents in the US (maybe it should be, obviously the security risks are tremendous)-isn't it required for the male members of the royal family? Or at least certain ones in the line of succession? I know there was talk of Harry going to Iraq but they put the kibosh on that.

I saw some of the video last night, he seemed to handle himself very well. I think he and William have both matured quite nicely.

An American website, the Drudge Report, broke a news blackout yesterday by revealing that Prince Harry has been serving in Afghanistan for more than two months.

To the fury of the Ministry of Defence and condemnation from the head of the British Army, General Sir Richard Dannatt, the website announced a "world exclusive" and proclaimed: "They're calling him 'Harry the Hero!".

The article brought to an end an agreement with the media that the Prince's deployment to Helmand be kept quiet in the interests of his safety and that of the soldiers with him.

By July, editors of key newspapers and broadcasting organisations were sounded out to see if such assistance would be forthcoming. Without dissent, all agreed that it was the only sensible and safe solution.

"I am very disappointed that foreign websites have decided to run this story without consulting us. This is in stark contrast to the highly responsible attitude that the whole of the UK print and broadcast media, along with a small number of overseas outlets, who have entered into an understanding with us over the coverage of Prince Harry on operations," General Dannatt said.

"The editors took the commendable attitude to restrain their coverage. I would like to thank them for that."

Months ago when there was talk about Harry going Iraq and being rejected on security grounds, i knew he would be ushered in secretly. Its not like they are gonna say Harry is going Iraq next tuesday, lets all wave him off.

I don't like the Royal family and i think they're utterly pointless in this day and age but fair play to the lad. at least he's trying to do something with his life. shame this stupid website blew his cover.

1stepcloser said:
I don't like the Royal family and i think they're utterly pointless in this day and age but fair play to the lad. at least he's trying to do something with his life. shame this stupid website blew his cover.

Agreed with this.

1stepcloser said:
I don't like the Royal family and i think they're utterly pointless in this day and age

how much tourism money comes in as a result of the family?

tradition might be the worst excuse for continuing on with things, but it is valid in many people's minds... and it certainly doesn't hurt its cause when this particular tradition brings in millions and millions of pounds every year.

If the Royal Family ceased to exist tomorrow i doubt it would stop people visiting the Tower of London and Buckingham Palace. They're beautiful old buildings with so much history so they will always be tourist magnets.

i'd like to think the beatles, the stones, led zep, shakespeare, football, cricket, rugby, crap weather ect.. contribute to our national identity more than the bloody royal family do...

1stepcloser said:
If the Royal Family ceased to exist tomorrow i doubt it would stop people visiting the Tower of London and Buckingham Palace. They're beautiful old buildings with so much history so they will always be tourist magnets.

i'd like to think the beatles, the stones, led zep, shakespeare, football, cricket, rugby, crap weather ect.. contribute to our national identity more than the bloody royal family do...

Lets take out football to hide our shame ... :wink:

Al-Qaeda is making Prince Harry its prime target now. Security has been beefed up around him:

Prince Harry has been warned that serving in Afghanistan made him a prime target for terrorists.

Muslim extremists say the young royal is a "legitimate target" after ten weeks secretly fighting the Taliban.

Two Al Qaeda-affiliated websites are calling on jihadists to "slaughter" the third in line to the throne.

There will now be an urgent review of his security and the prince may have to curb his fondness for nightclubs. Many UK Muslims have praised his sense of duty, however, even while condemning the war.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...tml?in_article_id=523219&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

I don't understand why some Muslims are condemning the Afghanistan war. Its a fight against the people who make their religion look bad. I could see an argument against Iraq, but not Afghanistan.

I'm so proud that it was an Australian trash mag that first blew the story, then the Drudge Report picked it up. We really lurve our Queen :happy:

As far as I remember it it was a tradition to serve in the Blues and Royals regiment just as it is tradition to study in Eton College.
To participate in wars is entirely voluntary.

He is now back home earlier than planned thanks to the article.

Got Philk? said:

what's wrong with the football? I download games from overseas to watch quality football. :)

Im talking about the English National side, now thats a joke.

vaz02 said:

Im talking about the English National side, now thats a joke.

yes, a complete and utter embarressment - our rubgy team isn't much better though.

I agree that prince harry had to be brought home once news leaked that he was out there - it was just too dangerous for the men he was working with, not to mention himself. But good for him going out there and wanting to to his bit, even if it was for a relatively short period :up:

Back
Top Bottom