President gives unwelcome massage to Chancellor of Germany

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
melon said:

I can only imagine the outrage had it been President Clinton with the circumstances being exactly the same.

Melon

Good grief, the public didn't even get outraged when Clintion used a room paid for by taxes to cheat on his wife, and then lied to a federal grand jury about it.

I don't think this qualifies as sexual harrassment. No one's calling for impeachment or anything. However. . .

It does make Bush look like a buffoon. I'm mean, have some sense! This isn't a bunch of guys and gals in middle managment. This is a head of state. A world leader! It seems to demonstrate a serious lack of understanding of what is appropriate behavior towards a fellow head of state.

And yes, there is some implied sexist attitude in what he did. It's along the same lines as if he were to refer to her as "honey" or say "she's a sweet girl". He's most likely completely unaware of what he's communicating.

I also don't think its sexual harrasment, but really its not up to us to decide that or not, it would be up to Merkel to decide whether she felt harrassed or uncomfortable by Bush's touch (i think i'd throw up if he touched me, but then i'd never get close enought ot him for him to do that!)

But like above, he is a world leader, and he isn't Merkels best friend or confidante giving her a quick pat, it just shows how utter thoughtless and unstoic a leader he is. Just mind boggling how he thinks that was appropriate at all. I mean i'd love to see what would happen if she touched him (he'd probably yokel around and guffaw like he usually does and Laura would slap the shit out of her hahahha)

but yeah, totally unprofessional and yet another reason why he is certainly not the man for the jobs he seems to want to keep doing.

I agree with maycocksean and dazzlingamy, not sexual harassment by any means, but as I said earlier, just bizarre. :huh:

I can see co-workers in a more casual setting who have formed some sort of a relationship and know each others' boundaries doing something like this, but I'm guessing that given Merkel's reaction, she's just not feelin' George in that way.

JMScoopy said:
you know what, piss on this forum. i dont know why i even waste my time with this bullshit. i just made that comment above out of frustration. every thread, if you disagree with the majority here, you get pounced on like a wounded wildabeast by lions.

I feel sorry that you can't debate like an educated human being, I really do...

You can't just speak opinions without anything to back them up...

That's not how things work here.

melon said:

I can only imagine the outrage had it been President Clinton with the circumstances being exactly the same.

Melon
If it was Clinton the question of intent would be more pertinent.

What the hell is wrong with this forum? Everyone loves to act like a paragon of fucking virtue, but get a guy invading someone's personal space and touching them in an uncomfortable and inappropriate way and you not only defend him but debate whether it is harrassment!

And scoopy, for god's sake, the animal is spelled Wildebeest.

For the record, I'm not making a case for sexual harassment here. They were just the best series of the photos I could find. If I was computer literate enough to post the pictures without the accompanying text I would have done so. I think they speak for themselves.

This is a guy you can't let out in important social or diplomatic situations without a keeper. He doesn't have a clue on boundaries.

Axver said:

The hostility has come from your sexist attitude. Your derogatory and insulting comments about Merkel and towards the opinions of others here are completely unwarranted.

Exactly

Wow, just unreal-so many of the responses to this are unreal, and depressing

And I understand what you're saying Bonos Saint, but not having a clue on boundaries and sexual harassment go hand in hand as far as I'm concerned.

If Clinton ever did something like that (and I think even Bill would know better) people would be all over it- when Bush does it the press thinks it's funny and just one more example of his clueless, juvenile behavior. It's embarrassing.

80sU2isBest said:
Good grief, the public didn't even get outraged when Clinton used a room paid for by taxes to cheat on his wife, and then lied to a federal grand jury about it.

Republicans certainly didn't get outraged when people like Newt Gingrich cheated on their wives either.

While in high school, Gingrich started to date his geometry teacher, Jackie Battley. On June 19, 1962, they were married. Their first child was born the following year.

In 1980, Gingrich separated from his first wife. Battley developed cancer: while she was in the hospital recovering from surgery, Gingrich tried to discuss the terms of a divorce. In February 1981, the divorce was finalized, and in August 1981, Gingrich married his second wife, Marianne Ginther.

In December 1999, Gingrich divorced his second wife, Marianne, after she discovered that he had been carrying on an affair for the past five years with a House aide twenty-three years his junior, Callista Bisek. Critics such as David Corn blasted him for hypocrisy, noting that this activity was concurrent with his leadership role in the impeachment of Bill Clinton during the Monica Lewinsky scandal and his ascension to speaker on a family values platform. On August 19, 2000, Gingrich married Bisek as his third wife.

All they cared about was whether there was an oath or not. Adultery was, apparently, unimportant.

So don't consider Republicans to be the paragon of morality and ethics, because they're just as guilty of looking the other way as you'd accuse Democrats of doing. This thread certainly furthers my point.

Melon

the office I used to work at people were quite physical with each other
I had collegues who would give me a rub on the shoulders just for the fun of it

these would be people I had worked with for years and I would only do it to my female colleagues if they asked me

it seems quite offensive to me to the people in Texas to suggest that a respectful way to treat women is different there

Just to be clear-I only mentioned Texas because some people were defending his behavior that way in articles that I read, saying that he is just friendly and "down home" in that way and that it is all innocent and acceptable for that reason. I would never suggest that men in and from Texas or the South in general all behave in such a manner. My experience has been that they are true gentlemen and truly respect women, the ones I have known.

Angela Harlem said:
What the hell is wrong with this forum? Everyone loves to act like a paragon of fucking virtue, but get a guy invading someone's personal space and touching them in an uncomfortable and inappropriate way and you not only defend him but debate whether it is harrassment!

I don't know. And my view on this has nothing to do with my feelings about Bush, yes it's one more instance in his entire behavior pattern that bothers me. But I would feel the same way if any Democrat and/or any other politician behaved in that way. I think it's bizarre and completely inappropriate.

I could say some other things that are on my mind because of some of the posts in this thread but, nevermind..

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I feel sorry that you can't debate like an educated human being, I really do...

You can't just speak opinions without anything to back them up...

That's not how things work here.

Threads like this don't allow for discussion. Ask a question, it is ignored.

Scoopy probably went at it too long, but this is not a discussion. It becomes a series of "how wrong are you" posts.

I'd ask the simple question - what is the point of the thread? To discuss whether the action is appropriate (as has this been confirmed - didn't we see a faked tape of the Italian Prime Minister "goose" a parking cop?)? Or to say how wrong Bush is and ridicule anyone who posts differently?

I guess the point of this thread is that the president of any country should think before acting + does have some sort of role-model function

I think the posts are being "ridiculed" because of the sexist nature of some of them. As a female I am offended by some of them. I already explained what my issues are with his behavior, and how they are separate and apart from my feelings about him.

Thank you and I can appreciate and understand your viewpoint. The shoulder grab is not the type of thing I would do.

Too bad we got a whole lot more than expressions of opinion on the subject pictures or willingness to engage in discussion.

nbcrusader said:
Thank you and I can appreciate and understand your viewpoint. The shoulder grab is not the type of thing I would do.

Too bad we got a whole lot more than expressions of opinion on the subject pictures or willingness to engage in discussion.

Politics and Religion, nbcrusader!.....guaranteed to always ruffle ones feathers:D

melon said:

So don't consider Republicans to be the paragon of morality and ethics, because they're just as guilty of looking the other way as you'd accuse Democrats of doing. This thread certainly furthers my point.

Melon

I didn't said anything about Democrats "looking the other way". I said the public didn't get outraged at the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal. The only reason I said is because you said people would get outraged if it was Clinton. I was simply responding to your statement. You are doing exactly what the author of the article did when she used the term "grope"; you are reading between the lines when there's nothing between the lines to read. Either that, or you're just making things up. Which is it?

Angela Harlem said:

Are you saying it was sexual harassment? What evidence do you have of that? I see no evidence whatsoever that there was any sexual behavior at all.

Was it a stupid thing to do? Probably. But neither you or I or anyone else here knows the context of the situation in which those photos occurred.

Monica Lewinsky wasn't a world leader and seemed a willing participant to me, all indications are that she was. I was "outraged" over it, didn't like his behavior one iota and wouldn't defend it. I think plenty of people were outraged over it. But I don't think it's comparable to this situation and like I said, I think even Bill would know better than to do that at the G8 summit. Maybe not, but I think so.

Grope or not, it was still inappropriate in my eyes-she certainly appeared rather stunned to me and like she didn't want it or appreciate it-she seemed quite uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I can't believe how blown out of proportion this is being taken.... and it never ceases 2 amaze me how the haters on both the left and the right will find ANYTHING to give them ridiculous ammunition against the source of their hatred.

randhail said:
It would've been a whole lot more inappropriate if he inquired about a happy ending. :wink:

Do you inquire about that in your workplace? I guess the :wink: is supposed to make it harmless and funny? Just like your comment that he could have picked a better looking woman, followed by the :wink: Oh well, I just have no sense of humor :shrug:

After all, he was in his workplace. I consider that his extended workplace, he's supposed to be doing his job there.

I guess you guys don't like Jon Stewart. There's a grainy video clip in his segment that was posted on the first page of this thread.

And for the record, unwanted touching can be defined as sexual harassment.
I'm sorry I brought it up in the first place but there seems to be some confusion on what constitutes sexual harassment and what doesn't.

Is this an instance of it? Probably not. It's obvious she did not want to be massaged though.

Blown totally way out of proportion. I can't believe how anyone could possibly see this as 'sexual harrassment.' Give the guy a break, the intent was hardly malicious. Some of the people here almost seem as though they fail to see the discrepancies between hands on a shoulder and rape. I've heard this innocent act classified as 'groping' for crying out loud! Can't Bush piss without it being scrutenized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom