President Bush keeping his promise on way to Africa-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
Jan 10 2003.

Bono stated earlier he thought GW gives a shit about how the world sees Africa and wants the world to know America is concerned for Africa..

Bono also stated after GW's meeting w Bono in the Oval Office that he refered to the AIDS Crisis in Africa as genocide.
I think the reason Bush is going is because he is a decent human being..
Period.

Out-
Diamond:|

Last edited:
diamond said:
Jan 10 2003.

Bono stated earlier he thought GW gives a shit about how the world sees Africa and wants the world to know America is concerned for Africa..

Bono also stated after GW's meeting w Bono in the Oval Office that he refered to the AIDS Crisis in Africa as genocide.
I think the reason Bush is going is because he is a decent human being..
Period.

Out-
Diamond:|

I am sure many of you watched Bono on Larry King.

One thing Bono said was that of the top 23 industrialized nations the U. S. is 23rd in giving aid.
That is shameful.

Bono also said the War on Terror must be fought equally with the War on Poverty.
That 40% of the African continent is Muslim and the U. S. would benefit more from giving aide and saving lives.

As the President of the U. S., Bush needs to give more to Africa, than just a shit.

Something needs to be clarified here. The USA is 23rd in giving aid as a percentage of its GDP. But as a simple money total, its higher than most of the countries if not all the countries on that list! When looking at it correctly, how can you say that is shameful?

Plus, no one looks at the vast amount of money that the USA spends every year to help keep peace and stability around the world. Were talking hundreds of Billions of dollars. This is a totally unmatched contribution to international peace and stability. In addition the USA has the the most open economy to trade on the planet! US consumers by nearly 2 Trillion dollars worth of goods and services from around the world! This should also be included when looking at foreign aid.

I agree with Bono that the USA should increase its direct humanitarian foreign aid part of the budget. But I would not characterize current foreign aid efforts as shameful.

But sting they are still 23rd.

And i do agree that they do give alot of military to other nations. But AIDS money is not high on their list. Maybe when there is no buddy left to save they will start to put the money where their mouth is. Thats like saying that if you had a millionaire and a person that makes 10000 a year and they both give 1000 dollars it allright because you are giving just as much moneyif not more. Come on. But you do admit they need to give more so i think you are in agreeness(sp) with me but are to afraid to admit it...:wink:

Yeah, I am sure it was GWB's idea to go to Africa.

He probably does not even know where Africa is...

Eat that!!!

(brought to you by friends of OUIZY'04)

Re: Re: President Bush keeping his promise on way to Africa-

Hi Bias said:

1-I am sure many of you watched Bono on Larry King.

2-One thing Bono said was that of the top 23 industrialized nations the U. S. is 23rd in giving aid.
That is shameful.

3-Bono also said the War on Terror must be fought equally with the War on Poverty.
That 40% of the African continent is Muslim and the U. S. would benefit more from giving aide and saving lives.

4-As the President of the U. S., Bush needs to give more to Africa, than just a shit.
Mr Biashead-
I noticed some hostility in your post.:huh:

Anyway...-

re the items in your post my responses..

#1-yes i did he also said he thought Pres Bush understood the emergency of AIDS/Africa, along w Clinton..:)-

#2-sometimes if ppl have diffrent methods of addressing a crisis, doesnt make one shameful.
you need to get past that logic
:|

#3- i agree, perhaps Bush will come around to this, and if he did would u applaud him for that, here?:)?

#4-i think he does..

Peace
Out-
DB9

Last edited:
ouizy said:
Yeah, I am sure it was GWB's idea to go to Africa.

He probably does not even know where Africa is...

Eat that!!!

(brought to you by friends of OUIZY'04)
Ouizy-
that was not one of your better posts..
regardless,
Merry Christmas,
Diamond
xxox
:sexywink:

I know - I am just a little sleepy from my Wonton soup and was a little excited by the prospects "we" now have that Gore has decided to do the right thing and hibernate.

Late last night I was watching an old documentary about Muhammed Ali and his fight against George Forman in Zaire.

I only hope John Kerry will have the heart Ali did during that fight...

Happy Holidays to you Diamond, and the rest of the lot, Have a great New Years as well...

PS. Diamond I think I may be in Scottsdale again for a brief stint sometime near May - I would love some recommendations for a restaurant or two...

Don`t take me wrong, it is great all this help, but does the western world listen to Africa when they say what they need ?

For example,..

There is a huge foodproblem in Zambia and millions are in danger to die of hunger. There is a lot of American corn in storage for Zambia but the Zambian goverment do not want it because it is genetic engineerd corn. Why should we force this corn to Zambia when there is enough not genetic engeneerd corn to give.

I think that Zambia has the right to say no. The reason for reject genetic corn is simple and valid. This genetic corn will cross with natural corn so Zambia can`t sell natural corn in the future to other country`s.

Read you,...

the Zambia situation (it's been in the news quite prolific over here) also entered my mind when reading this thread

STING2 said:
Something needs to be clarified here. The USA is 23rd in giving aid as a percentage of its GDP. But as a simple money total, its higher than most of the countries if not all the countries on that list! When looking at it correctly, how can you say that is shameful?

I am reminded of the story in the New Testament about the Pharisee and the poor widow giving their offerings. The Pharisee gave more in terms of a monetary sum and was very proud of himself for being so holy, even though he was very rich and the amount was only a small percentage of his total wealth. The widow gave only 2 pennies, but it was all she had. Remember which one Jesus commended?

Food for thought.

I have said I think the USA should increase the percentage of the budget that goes to humanitarian aid. After all, its in our long term national interest to do just that. But I wanted to emphasize that the lump sum that the USA gives is more than most countries because clearly there are many here that may not have realized that. In addition I do not think the current percentage that goes to humanitarian aid to be "shameful". But it should definitely be increased. How many interferencer's here give all their "disposable income" to charity instead of going to U2 concerts, movies, out to eat, etc? How do you judge whether this level of giving or that level of giving is shameful? What about #22 or #20 or #15, was their level of aid as a percentage of their GDP, "shameful"?

Bonoman,

Your example between the millionaire and the person making 10,000 dollars is not accurate. I do not believe the USA's total wealth is several 100 times that of the other countries on the list. To really look at this acurately, we need to see the percentage of each countries GDP that goes to humanitarian aid. Although the USA is behind, I do not think they are nearly behind by the level you seem to be indicating.

In addition, I think there are few people here that realize the enormous scale of the USA's defense efforts around the world that keep peace and stability. The value of that to the world is so huge its impossible to caculate. The USA has the most open economy on the planet and USA consumers buy nearly 2 Trillion dollars worth of goods and services from around the world every year. These are two important facts that deserve just as much mention as the amount that the USA spends on humanitarian aid.

Rono,

Totally off topic and not even something for this forum, just wanted to say that Steeltown is my favorite Big Country Album!

Re: Re: Re: President Bush keeping his promise on way to Africa-

diamond said:

#3- i agree, perhaps Bush will come around to this, and if he did would u applaud him for that, here?:)?

Yes, I would!

Also, there is an opportunity for all Americans to speak their mind and support helping Africa financially.

http://www.datadata.org/whitehouse_action.htm

Please call the White House tomorrow and show your support!

STING2 said:

Plus, no one looks at the vast amount of money that the USA spends every year to help keep peace and stability around the world. Were talking hundreds of Billions of dollars. This is a totally unmatched contribution to international peace and stability. In addition the USA has the the most open economy to trade on the planet! US consumers by nearly 2 Trillion dollars worth of goods and services from around the world! This should also be included when looking at foreign aid.

I agree with Bono that the USA should increase its direct humanitarian foreign aid part of the budget. But I would not characterize current foreign aid efforts as shameful.

I would characterise it as SHAMEFUL.

here is the data

Last edited:
Myself as well would say it is shameful for the USA to have these numbers. My country is just as bad. SHAMEFUL!

Yes you were right Sting the US does give the most, but only .1% of their GNP. Did anyone else notice how the top 14 were all countries from Europe. Maybe Europe does aprciate what others have done for them and are showing it by helping others?

I repeat for many countries this is very SHAMEFUL!!

Hi Bias,

Hey thanks for the web link with the numbers. That is a very interesting web site although some area's are clearly biased and unobjective. So why do you characterize USA development aid spending as "shameful" in light of the other things the USA does for the rest of the world in terms of defense and international trade. US forces are deployed around the world and ensure peace and security in Asia, the Persian Gulf Region and of course Europe and are ready to respond to problems in other places as well at a level and speed no where near matched by any other country on Earth even taking into acount the size of the country. US consumers buy nearly 2 Trillion dollars in goods and services every year from the global community. In addition, while the US government may only spend about 11 Billion dollars on development aid per year, the value of charitable giving from private US citizens to help development overseas is 34 Billion dollars per year! US citizens have a much lower tax burden than many other countries. But still what country out there can match the private donations of US citizens to foreign development aid?

I do think the USA should increase aid to the .7 level although I'm not sure if that would be politically possible in the USA. I'd think reaching the average that the other 22 countries spend at which is .38 of GDP is more realisitic but even that would be difficult to achieve. Still I do not see giving 11 Billion dollars in develoment aid to be "Shameful" in light of the other things the USA does for the world community and has done for the world community in the past. Guess who rebuilt Europe and Japan after World War II? No single country in history has ever taken on a task that large.

But if the level of development aid is "shameful" why has no one mentioned Italy or Canada's levels of aid as "Shameful"? What level of spending on development aid would you consider NOT to be "shameful"?

Sting, I said two times n my last post that Canada's foriegn aid was shameful. It is very much shameful but because Canada and Italy is shameful does not make your countrries aid any less shameful. Canada just blew 2 billion on a gun registry that went nowhere. My country is certainnily at fault!!

But Sting just because the USA built Europe back to what it is today does not excuse this. EVERY country should be giving .7 persent. MINIMUM!!!

You keep bring up this 2 trillion dollar figure. We got it.:wink: !!

But you know as well as i that this 2 trillion would not be happening if it didnt cause your country to gain money. Every bit of money givin to trade is given back to the US. Canada exports 71% of all GDP. Does that make Canada any less acountable then anyone else. It seems to me that you are hiding behind your milatary spending. Which is huge. But is something that again benefits your country as well. It seems to me that you agree but are to afraid to admit that the USA is fully wrong. 0.1 percent of GDP is shameful. And 0.23 (Canada) is equally shameful. Any country that is not giving what is asked by the UN is shameful. Sting dont be afraid to admit your country is wrong. It doesnt make your arguements for your pro America stance any worse off.

Canada gives 0.23%, compared to USA 0.11%. So that's more than double and it's still pathetic and embarrassing.

Bonoman,

Your post in response to high bias came right before my response did, so I had not seen your post until I finished writing and posting mine.

The fact that US consumers buy nearly 2 Trillion dollars worth of goods is not something that can be swept under the rug. Allowing US consumers to buy all these foreign goods is a huge benefit to the global economy, and yes the USA does benefit as well.

But the USA also benefits by providing humanitarian aid. Economic development of the third world is very beneficial to key US foreign policy interest.

Canada's exports benefit Canada directly, so I don't think you would use that as a factor in showing that Canada helps the world. Canada's imports are what it buys from the rest of the world and that is what directly benefits other countries.

The USA spends nearly 400 Billion dollars every year on essentially international security! Few countries come close to this level of spending even as a percentage of GDP. International Security is extremely important as it helps prevent anarchy and war and can protect regions and countries from the actions and moves of other countries. Without the international security and stability that the USA provides many regions of the world, discussions of and or actions to develop the third world would not be possible, because of the instability and war that would exist in several other countries and regions of the world.

There is no attempt to hide behind spending on the military. The attempt to narrowly define international aid as simply development aid is incorrect and un-objective. Military spending, free trade, and development aid are all important parts of international aid. I've tried to show you and others here the lack of military support that the USA recieves from countries like Canada. Canada needs to more than double its defense budget, perhaps triple it. The USA spends nearly 4% of its GDP on defense while a country like Canada spends only .9%. When it came to military action in Kosovo to prevent the slaughter of muslims by the Serb military, over 90% of the combat missions flown, were flown by the US military. If force is needed to disarm Iraq and bring it into compliance with 16 different UN resolutions passed under chapter 7 rules, the vast majority of the forces involved in combat will be US forces.

You cannot dismiss these facts and sweep them under the rug. While the USA needs to increase its development aid, it does far more than its share in safe guarding security in places all around the world and imports nearly 2 Trillion dollars of goods from other countries. These two factors more than make up or balance out the USA's lower level of development aid. Still the USA should increase development aid because it is in the USA's best interest to do so.

STING2 said:
Bonoman,

Your post in response to high bias came right before my response did, so I had not seen your post until I finished writing and posting mine.

The fact that US consumers buy nearly 2 Trillion dollars worth of goods is not something that can be swept under the rug. Allowing US consumers to buy all these foreign goods is a huge benefit to the global economy, and yes the USA does benefit as well.
The USA spends nearly 400 Billion dollars every year on essentially international security! Few countries come close to this level of spending even as a percentage of GDP. International Security is extremely important as it helps prevent anarchy and war and can protect regions and countries from the actions and moves of other countries. Without the international security and stability that the USA provides many regions of the world, discussions of and or actions to develop the third world would not be possible, because of the instability and war that would exist in several other countries and regions of the world.

There is no attempt to hide behind spending on the military. The attempt to narrowly define international aid as simply development aid is incorrect and un-objective. Military spending, free trade, and development aid are all important parts of international aid. I've tried to show you and others here the lack of military support that the USA recieves from countries like Canada. Canada needs to more than double its defense budget, perhaps triple it. The USA spends nearly 4% of its GDP on defense while a country like Canada spends only .9%. When it came to military action in Kosovo to prevent the slaughter of muslims by the Serb military, over 90% of the combat missions flown, were flown by the US military. If force is needed to disarm Iraq and bring it into compliance with 16 different UN resolutions passed under chapter 7 rules, the vast majority of the forces involved in combat will be US forces.

Guess who has the biggest weaponsindustry,...and somehow i do not have the feeling that all those weapons made this world a better place.

Why turned this discusion about aid to the third world into a promotion for the weapontraders. They need tractors not tanks, they need waterpumps no M16, they need respect, not patronizing.

And yes , i am grateful for the help from America in the second world war but in feel very pissed of when somebody use this to gain support. My Grandparents had to endure hunger, desease and worked hard to build my country.

To bring this back to Dubyah - I think he's all talk about Africa as stated in this article in the News

"But U.S. funding is uncertain; according an editorial Monday in The New York Times, Bush vetoed the appropriation containing this year?s first payment, and Senate Republicans killed a bill agreed on unanimously that would have provided $4 billion over two years to fight global AIDS. "

If our military budget is 369 billion or so , 3 biilion should be taken out if it and used for Africa.

And yes the US percentage of aid is shameful and should be increased and while we are at it maybe we can pay our UN dues. That we haven't is disgraceful.

I'm curious if STING2 has ever disagreed with anything the Republican's, or our government under them, or the military has done.

By the way WTF is with this Star Wars defense bullshit again. I thought that was a dead horse under Reagan?

Just a few random thoughts. Why is military spending being brought in as a part of humanitarian aid? I am going to venture the guess that the rest of the world is highly unlikely to consider US military intervention as altruistic and peace-loving. If anything, it is seen as meddling and directed towards maintaining and protecting our business interests, not a desire to maintain impartial justice. Just to use one example that is close to me personally, in Indonesia the Suharto regime was given the go-ahead to take over by force the island of Timor by Kissinger with the implicit understanding that the US would look the other way. Indonesia was a desirable ally in the SE Asian front of the Cold War. So rather than enforce "peace" the US was willing to sacrifice innocent lives to maintain national interests. And that is just one example. Too bad for the people of East Timor that they weren't situated over a field of oil. Perhaps it should also be noted that during Suharto's governing, millions of people were killed, millions of Indonesian citizens, and the US never batted an eye or made a move to depose this dictator. Why the double standard?

Quite frankly, to expect the rest of the world to look on US military intervention purely as a form of "humanitarian" aid when both the motives and the methods have so often proven to be anything but even-handed is naive. The cynicism is well-founded, and even if not always proven to be correct serves as a legitimate and necessary restraint on the most powerful nation in the world abusing its position.

The idea that the rest of the world should be grateful for the great consumption power of America is another topic in and of itself, but perhaps later I will have time to comment on "free" trade and the imbalances within the international monetary and trading system. Needless to say, I would argue that our immense appetite for cheap goods and willingness to use double standards in tariffs has only contributed to the worsening of third world economies.

Last edited:
Bethany-
You always write brilliant well thought posts.
We dont always agree but your ideas are always articulated well.

That said I guess the thinking of the "ends justifying the means" is prolly the cold reality here.
The older I get, the more Im becomning uncomfortable w/this mindset.

Merry Christmas-

Dave
:)

ps-
isnt GW sexy?:huh:
thank u
:angry:

diamond said:
Bethany-
You always write brilliant well thought posts.
We dont always agree but your ideas are always articulated well.
dare I ask on what part you do not agree?

Rono,

Well until the collapse of the Soviet Union, it was the Soviet Union that had the largest weapons industry. But today it is the USA and having a large and strong military helps to deter war in many different area's on the planet. The USA had a very small weapons industry and international presense during the first 50 years of the 20th century. The partial result of that was the two most destructive wars in the history of the planet. Low military spending and isolationism are not ways to prevent global crises or conflict.

Certainly the third world needs strong level of development aid, but if the global community were to collapse into anarchy and war, aid to the poorest countries would never happen. Security is extremely important and the USA has taken on most of the burden in providing this to many area's of the world.

Its not just the Second World War or the Marshal Plan, its defending Western Europe for 40 years from the Warsaw Pact and providing nearly all the military force that stopped the fighting in Bosnia in 1995 and Kosovo in 1999, just to name a few things. How many people in Kosovo in March 1999 were hoping for tractors and waterpumps? They wanted SECURITY! Security that the European countries failed to provide them! It was the USA that got NATO to launch the war that stopped the Serb slaughter and abuse of Muslims in Kosovo. 90% of the combat missions flown against the Serbs were done by USA aircraft.

You refuse to see the value of international security and the level of work the USA does to provide this on a daily basis. You cannot sweep international security under the rug as not being important. Without global stability and security, sustainable development would never be possible in the third world.

Scarletwine,

It is disgraceful that 90% of the air sortie missions flown by NATO to stop Serb slaughtering Muslims in Kosovo in 1999 were flown by the USA. Where the hell is the support from the 18 other countries that make up NATO? Several NATO nations contributions to defense and global security are disgraceful.

I agree the USA needs to increase its level of development aid and pay its UN dues, but it is not shameful in light of the other things the USA does for the international community.

For your information, I have disagreed with a lot of Republican policy on such domestic issues like gun control and occasionaly on taxes to name a few. Just ask Achtung Bubba.

I have disagreed with several things the military has done or not done on much more technical issues that have not surfaced in this forum.

SDI or ballistic missile defense has never been a dead horse at least not at the battlefield or theater level. Our soldiers in the field need defensive systems against ballistic missiles. A National missile defense against ICBMs is another story. It is a far more difficult task, but could stop a launch of a nuclear weapon from a rogue nation in the future by intention or by accident. Would you like me to tell you what a 1 megaton airburst 1,000 feet over Los Angeles would do to the city and surrounding area?

Sting-
Face it we will always be considered bastards here.:|
Well not always, but most the time:angry:

It is kinda cool though to be a voice of reason in a sea of chaos..

God Save The Queen.

thank u-
shut up:angry:

DB9
:dance:

Back
Top Bottom