President Bush Interview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
God help us all.

I knew he wanted a "culture change" (reminds me loosely of the German "Kulturkampf"), but now I'm reading it. The man is a nut. He should be head of the Christian Coalition, not the United States. He is not fit to lead a pluralistic society of different cultures and religions.

Argh...that homophobic bastard. I hate him more than Ronald Reagan, whose rants back in the day actually appear reasonable compared to this joker.

Melon

"I think what we're dealing with are people?extreme, radical people?who've got a deep desire to spread an ideology that is anti-women, anti-free thought, anti- art and science, you know, that couch their language in religious terms."

"No, I think they have a perverted view of what religion should be, and it is not based upon peace and love and compassion?quite the opposite. These are people that will kill at the drop of a hat, and they will kill anybody, which means there are no rules. And that is not, at least, my view of religion."

"An "ism" like Communism that knows no boundaries, as opposed to a power that takes land for gold or land for oil or whatever it might be."

Nahh, doesn't sound like anyone we know, does it Mr. President?

Scary stuff.

Last edited:
I think I heard about that interview, its significance being that in this case he (the President) was among friends, and I guess felt free to speak his mind.

Which is useful.

Finally, government has got a responsibility to support and nurture institutions ? foster institutions that provide hope and stability. That's why I took the position I took on the sanctity of marriage.

ROTFL! Tell it to the 60% who get divorced. Hilarious.

anitram said:

ROTFL! Tell it to the 60% who get divorced. Hilarious.

This is a bit off topic, but I don't understand why everyone puts the divorce rate on Bush. Forget for a second that he's the President.....he's married and has been for a long time. It's OUR fault the divorce rate is disturbingly high. Don't get me wrong, I don't support his opposition to homosexual marriage, but I do support the idea of the sanctity of marriage, homo- or heterosexual.

I sure as hell do not think the divorce rate should be "put on" Bush. After all he isn't divorced. The thing is that a gay marriage ban won't stop the many divorces that are going on, and will continue to happen.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
This is a bit off topic, but I don't understand why everyone puts the divorce rate on Bush.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion?

All I'm saying is that it's hilarious how he is arguing that heterosexual marriage is a union of stability considering the majority of heterosexuals who marry end up divorcing. It's his argument that is nonsensical - nobody here said anything about faulting him for the current divorce rates.

This is a bit off topic, but I don't understand why everyone puts the divorce rate on Bush. Forget for a second that he's the President.....he's married and has been for a long time. It's OUR fault the divorce rate is disturbingly high. Don't get me wrong, I don't support his opposition to homosexual marriage, but I do support the idea of the sanctity of marriage, homo- or heterosexual.

You know, that's ultimately why I wish I could believe he was actually serious about caring about the "sanctity of marriage," but, really, I don't believe him. At all. It is more about pandering to his homophobic, extremist Christian base.

But maybe, as his generation grows old and withers away, the younger generations will realize this and maybe take this issue more seriously. Politicians and "sanctity" are an oxymoron at this point.

Melon

This is a bit off topic, but I don't understand why everyone puts the divorce rate on Bush.

I don't know, after watching him a bit, it is enough to make you not want to reproduce.

But maybe, as his generation grows old and withers away, the younger generations will realize this and maybe take this issue more seriously.
Not bloody likely with the way the conservative christian movement has infiltrated the education system. I am sickened at the damage they continue to do with their anti-science, ultraproconservativechristian tripe.

I have no problem if somebody want's to interperate the bible in a fundamentalist manner, that is their right, but they have no right to perpetuate myth's about others and push anti-science agenda's to children under the pretext of religious freedom. I said some time ago that these types should be told that it is the "god given right" of people to make their own decisions for better or worse on matters of sexuality, I think this is an example of where that attitude would do very well.

Back
Top Bottom