praying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
How often do you pray? Do you use recited prayers, such as the Lord's Prayer? Do you use scripture? If you're Catholic, do you pray the rosary? I am Catholic and pray a decade of the rosary every day. I also pray a Psalm every day. No matter what kind of day I'm having I find I can pick a Psalm that fits. If you're not Christian, but you pray, which faith tradition do your prayers come from, and what are they?

I pray every day. I rarely used formal prayers, I find I use the Lord's prayer only if it is part of our Church service.

Scripture is a great source for prayer - what better words than God's Words! A great resource are books like "Face to Face Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship" by Kenneth Boa. The Scriptures used include prayers of adoration, confession, renewal, petition, intercession, affirmation, and thanksgiving.

I try to stay disciplined in prayer by remembering to start with Praise, Thanksgiving and Confession before jumping right to "asking for" things.

I pray random prayers of random length and content whenever I feel like it to Jesus and/or God. I'm not Catholic so I don't have a rosary and I don't believe the church/saints are a mediator between me and God, I pray directly to the Lord, not through a Saint. I don't have a prayer book and the only time I recite prayer is in church and at home (our family has a prayer everyone uses before meals).

Sometimes I meditate, sometimes I pray traditionally (I've also done the rosary a few times). Don't read from scriptures, really, unless I'm in church.

My great-grandfather's best friend was St. Leopold (Mandic), and we have many letters from him, and some prayers that he prayed, and so I like those a lot.

I used to pray every night, before I sleep, and I used to join my family in the church... but last semester I had an emotional breakdown, I was so depressed that I couldn't find the sense in prayers and I don't pray since then...

I know that I need God but I don't think that he is listening my prayers. sometimes I try to pray again, but it doesn't feel the same. I just try to do my best everyday and I'm not waiting for help.

U2zoogirl, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time right now. I've been there, and I know it's not fun. I will pray for you. :hug: :hug:

I'll admit, I haven't really prayed a lot lately since Amanda died. I just end up getting pissed at God all over again. God and I are not on the best of terms right now...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'll admit, I haven't really prayed a lot lately since Amanda died. I just end up getting pissed at God all over again. God and I are not on the best of terms right now...

I understand how you feel, I have felt that way myself

After some time passes, maybe you could talk about this w/ someone from your church. I'm sure Amanda was such a beautiful person and wouldn't want you to suffer w/ feelings like this.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way. I don't know how to put it into words, and in no way am I judging you for feeling that way. But you take all the time you need and let yourself feel what you need to feel. I think He will be there for you when you're ready :)

I'm ashamed to say that I don't pray every day. Usually I try to thank God when I feel I've neglected that, or to ask Him for strength (I ask that so often He must be sick of it by now :D) Sometimes I say the Our Father or the Hail Mary.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I understand how you feel, I have felt that way myself

After some time passes, maybe you could talk about this w/ someone from your church. I'm sure Amanda was such a beautiful person and wouldn't want you to suffer w/ feelings like this.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way. I don't know how to put it into words, and in no way am I judging you for feeling that way. But you take all the time you need and let yourself feel what you need to feel. I think He will be there for you when you're ready :)

I'm stuck in that 'angry' phase of grieving, lol! Actually, what REALLY pushes my button (this has nothing to do with prayer) is when people say "oh, it's ok, she's in a better place" or "oh, this is how God meant for it to be" b/c we all know that that's bullshit. God did NOT intend for people to die, it's only b/c of original sin that people have to suffer death. Death does NOT = better. And what else bugs me is when people who don't even know me or her say that, like I'm supposed to feel better! For example, at Amanda's funeral we were all standing in a tight circle and this lady comes up, don't know her or who she was, and she starts preaching with a SMILE on her face about how it's sad but it's all for a reason and bla bla bla. I stepped away and turned around b/c otherwise I would've slapped her. It was more for my friend's sake than my own. Teresa is another good friend of mine and Amanda was her best friend, they'd lived together for years and we were all going to live together again next year, and we're trying our best to keep Teresa as emotionally stable as possible and this lady basically steps up and tells her not to feel bad that her best friend died. Like, where the hell was SHE when Amanda was sick in the hospital for two months?!?!? Who visited Amanda? oh yeah NOT her!! Who called the hospital to ask if she was dead? definitely NOT her!! Funny that we'd never seen her before and she thinks we're going to feel BETTER knowing Amanda is dead.....I'm sorry, but when one of my friends dies and all my other friends are crying and everyone is devastated, I get PISSED AS HELL and don't feel the least bit comforted by people who have to tell themselves that "it was all part of a plan". :mad:

/rant

LivLuv, I remember when you posted some notes in PLEBA about Amanda. I know how you feel. *No one* on the planet should have to go through what she went through. No one should have to go through what her friends went through. That was truly hellish and there's no way that that can be "for the best". That stupid woman should have kept her mouth shut about the whole affair. I got pissed about it just reading your post. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom