pot not linked to lung cancer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]Study finds no marijuana link to lung cancer By Deena Beasley
Tue May 23, 9:40 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Marijuana smoking does not increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer, according to the findings of a new study at the University of California Los Angeles that surprised even the researchers.

They had expected to find that a history of heavy marijuana use, like cigarette smoking, would increase the risk of cancer.

Instead, the study, which compared the lifestyles of 611 Los Angeles County lung cancer patients and 601 patients with head and neck cancers with those of 1,040 people without cancer, found no elevated cancer risk for even the heaviest pot smokers. It did find a 20-fold increased risk of lung cancer in people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060524/hl_nm/marijuana_dc

[/q]

Hmmm.... but marijuana is surely generally mixed with tobacco when it is smoked?

Similarly, it is not usually the nicotine that causes cancer - it's the tar and other obnoxious substances in the ciggies.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think that's more of a European thing.

Not that I would know, just from what I've heard.:shifty:

I am confused by this survey because I definitely remember reading about a previous survey that found the exact opposite - i.e. that there was indeed a causal link between pot smoking and lung cancer. Then again I think it was a UK survey so that could back up your point.

Pot should be legal, cancer or no cancer.

That being said, I've never met one pothead who feared lung cancer anyway, nor do I suspect people will now start smoking weed because of this report.

In other words, yet another medical study that ultimately serves no purpose at all in furthering the public health. I remember reading about a similar finding back in the early 90's, anyway.

Maybe UCLA can next do a multimillion dollar study on the effects of heavy metal music on teenage violence.

whew.gif
mf_emoticon_heavymetal.gif

nbcrusader said:
Its the twinkies that give you lung cancer....

:lol:

it's true, stoners will die from a stroke or heart attack brought on by the munchies before they'll die of lung cancer

Irvine511 said:

:lol:

it's true, stoners will die from a stroke or heart attack brought on by the munchies before they'll die of lung cancer

I have a friend who claims pot and chocolate as two of his main vices -- to the tune of five spliffs and three chocolate bars a day. If it's dark chocolate, he should be in great shape. :)

there was a time when I smoked pot on a daily basis.
eventually I developed a consistent hack, a nagging tickle at the back of the throat that never went away. I didn't use tobacco in my joints. this deveoped into a regular smoker's cough before long.
lung cancer or no lung cancer, the smoke does damage.

I saw Prince at the Fillmore awhile ago, and he started yelling at us because fans were smoking weed and it was drifting onto the stage.

The only pot I smelled during Vertigo was inside the ellipse at San Jose 1. Some idiots were passing around a blunt during the war part of the show, but Edge gave them a bunch of dirty looks, so they stopped.

:edge:

LoveShower.gif
LoveShower.gif
LoveShower.gif
LoveShower.gif
LoveShower.gif

Last edited:
The Edge didn´t give me a dirty look when I puffed. He moved nearer and smiled. I think it depends on quality.

Hallelujah to Lila´s spring smilies :D Just beautiful!

Dorian Gray said:
there was a time when I smoked pot on a daily basis.
eventually I developed a consistent hack, a nagging tickle at the back of the throat that never went away. I didn't use tobacco in my joints. this deveoped into a regular smoker's cough before long.
lung cancer or no lung cancer, the smoke does damage.

I know people who have smoked pot nearly everyday for 20 years and it has always amazed me that they haven't develop a smoker's cough. No morning throat clearing or coughing, no phlegm, no nothing. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom