Pot: it can't be that great...right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whatever.

When I was 14 I said to myself that I would try anything once, with the exception of incest, and so far I've lived up to my promise. Its a big world with a lot of things to experience, if you want to find out about something you should try it out, that way you can be fully qualified to make an opinion concerning it.

I tried it once, and it was the most boring experience (except listening to the Conservative Manifesto EVERY YEAR) I've ever had, and I never could understand what people seek in it. Its irritating to prepare and smoke, its tedious to 'enjoy' and it leaves you stinking like a Colombian drug-lord afterwards; the smell was positively redolent of canchred shit. A truly monotonous experience and I never cared to repeat it again.

Having said that, I don't see why smoking pot (or any other drug) makes you less of a human being if people can still vote Conservative and be called 'intelligent people'.

The world's a big place, its a large price for such a small vice, and true open-mindedness is in realising that there are different things for different people, calling something immoral just because you find it offensive is not only ridiculous but really rather silly.

Ant.

Good first paragraph there adam's mistress.

I dont care to try to argue why people like pot.. I feel like it would be a waste of time on you bunch so I just wanted to post some facts and be on my way.

To each his own, but if you've never tried it I dont see how you can comment on it being bad or evil or whatever.

And no I would not give a 9 yr old a joint, just like I would not give a 9 yr old alcohol.

Lilly: NO. Nothing is worth sacrificing a friendship.

Personally, i haven't tried drugs. It's not something anyone i know would do, i was never interested in those things - plus it's too scary not to be in control of your body and mind. I guess some people can do it occasionally and they don't suffer any major consequences, though if it affects your everyday life and you become addicted it's time to quit.

Originally posted by Anthony:
Whatever.

if you want to find out about something you should try it out, that way you can be fully qualified to make an opinion concerning it.

I tried it once, and it was the most boring experience I've ever had, and I never could understand what people seek in it.

Ant.

Dude. You only tried it once? Your really not qualified to make an opinion concerning it then. Third time is the charm, it IS boring until then, but after that........

Originally posted by paxetaurora:
And no, I would never give pot to a nine-year-old. Hell, I have mixed feelings about nine-year-olds with refined sugar and remote-control cars.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Enjoyable.

I enjoy a bit of weed. I have a great job and am a high-energy, health conscious kind of woman. I don't fit any pot-smoking stereotypes you can think of. Inhaling smoke into one's lungs is never a good idea, but like adam's mistress said, we all pick our poison. Marijuana is mine. I haven't eaten meat in 14 years, and rarely drink alcohol, but I enjoy smoking pot.

I went to a business dinner Saturday night and all of my colleagues got drunk except for me, and don't remember the evening. I went home sober, smoked a joint to chill out, watched a U2 video, got up early the next morning, went to the gym, cleaned my house, did laundry, had a productive day, and this morning I had to tell all my colleagues what they did and said Saturday night because they don't remember and 2 days later, are still hungover.

Now, I know this thread really isn't about comparing alcohol to marijuana, but I just wanted to offer a little snippet out of the life of an ordinary pot-smoker as compared with ordinary drinkers because of the stigma attached to the pot-smoker. I looked around that room Saturday night and felt like the most together-person there, but I know I would probably be judged as the fucked up one (in general, in life) were it common knowledge that I smoked weed.

Anyway, all in moderation.

but that's the problem, though. people like you, joyfulgirl, can smoke it in moderation, never go overboard with it, etc. for some people, for too many (for me one is too many) use it as a stepping stone to move on to worse things, or to at least take it enough to where you have to have it once a month, then once a week, then once a day, etc. i know not everyone is like that but the ones who get addicted just fuck it up for everyone else. it kinda sucks...like the jerk in kindergarden who gets the whole class in trouble, i guess. i for one think pot should be legalised. if it was, i'd have no problems with anyone smoking it. really.

------------------
and your heart beats so slow through the sleet and driving snow, across the fields of mourning lights in the distance...
ME!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

[This message has been edited by KhanadaRhodes (edited 02-12-2002).]

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
but that's the problem, though. people like you, joyfulgirl, can smoke it in moderation, never go overboard with it, etc. for some people, for too many (for me one is too many) use it as a stepping stone to move on to worse things, or to at least take it enough to where you have to have it once a month, then once a week, then once a day, etc. i know not everyone is like that but the ones who get addicted just fuck it up for everyone else. it kinda sucks...like the jerk in kindergarden who gets the whole class in trouble, i guess. i for one think pot should be legalised. if it was, i'd have no problems with anyone smoking it. really.

from the Institute of Medicine, 1999:
Q: Is marijuana addictive?

A: "Compared to most other drugs ... dependence among marijuana users is relatively rare." [p. 94]

"In summary, although few marijuana users develop dependence, some do. But they appear to be less likely to do so than users of other drugs (including alcohol and nicotine), and marijuana dependence appears to be less severe than dependence on other drugs." [p. 98]

Q: Does marijuana lead to harder drugs?

A: "It does not appear to be a gateway drug to the extent that it is the cause or even that it is the most significant predictor of serious drug abuse; that is, care must be taken not to attribute cause to association." [p. 101]

"There is no evidence that marijuana serves as a stepping stone on the basis of its particular physiological effect." [p. 99]

Taking a hit of pot every day is no different than having a glass of wine with dinner.

Originally posted by z edge:
Dude. You only tried it once? Your really not qualified to make an opinion concerning it then. Third time is the charm, it IS boring until then, but after that........

I must admit, z edge, its not the only thing I've tried, believe me - if it didn't impress me the first time, a third time won't help.

Ant.

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
i didn't say it was guaranteed that everyone who smokes pot will definitely become addicted *and* also move on to harder drugs. i said it can happen. i don't see what is so wrong with me thinking smoking pot is wrong. after all, it is illegal. doesn't matter how stupid the reason is for why it's illegal, it is. i don't wanna risk throwing away my entire future to get high.

Nothing wrong at all with you thinking smoking pot is wrong. I was simply addressing two common myths about marijuana smoking.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I'm gonna go with Khanada on this one. No matter what your personal convictions are and what the medical "evidence" is...the fact remains that at least in the U.S., it is illegal. By all means, go through the proper channels to legalize it if you feel it should be done...vote, lobby, campaign, etc. But as of the moment, if you do pot, you're breaking the law. That in and of itself would seem to make it "wrong" for the moment.

Agreed. And I do fight for its legalization/decriminalization through the proper channels.

Originally posted by Anthony:
I must admit, z edge, its not the only thing I've tried, believe me - if it didn't impress me the first time, a third time won't help.

Ant.

Actually, many people don't feel the effects of mariujuana the first time they try it--this is very common. Which is not to say that, therefore, you should run out and give it a second try, but just to say that your one experience may not be an accurate reflection of what marijuana does.

sulawesi, there are laws everywhere that are wrong and pointless. If it was illegal to own U2, like it is in Burma, would you then burn your U2 cds?

The legal side of pot is pointless. They dont do anything for possesion charges that are under 7-8 grams.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
Actually, many people don't feel the effects of mariujuana the first time they try it--this is very common. Which is not to say that, therefore, you should run out and give it a second try, but just to say that your one experience may not be an accurate reflection of what marijuana does.

Exactly! Thats what I meant Ant, and you probably shouldn't run out there and try it some more
smile.gif

when I was young I used to smoke weed as well for fun, but as I got older it started doing things to me:

made me stupid
made me REAL hungry even when I knew I wasn't, and I gained weight
made me stupid
made me paranoid
made me stupid
dried out my eyes/contacts like mad
made me stupid
made me drive like a total idiot
made me forgetful
did I say it made me stupid???

They say pot isn't harmful? Don't believe the hype. You may not become a raging lunatic from smoking it, but can waste away from indolence...

I feel for you (and your friend) Lilly...but she can only make herself stop.
frown.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
Nothing wrong at all with you thinking smoking pot is wrong. I was simply addressing two common myths about marijuana smoking.

all right. btw, if what i said came off as bitchy or mean, i'm sorry.
frown.gif

------------------
and your heart beats so slow through the sleet and driving snow, across the fields of mourning lights in the distance...
ME! all day, every day!

i didn't say it was guaranteed that everyone who smokes pot will definitely become addicted *and* also move on to harder drugs. i said it can happen. i don't see what is so wrong with me thinking smoking pot is wrong. after all, it is illegal. doesn't matter how stupid the reason is for why it's illegal, it is. i don't wanna risk throwing away my entire future to get high.

------------------
ME!

I'm gonna go with Khanada on this one. No matter what your personal convictions are and what the medical "evidence" is...the fact remains that at least in the U.S., it is illegal. By all means, go through the proper channels to legalize it if you feel it should be done...vote, lobby, campaign, etc. But as of the moment, if you do pot, you're breaking the law. That in and of itself would seem to make it "wrong" for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom