Post-election Commentaries, Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
People have started several threads today with semi-specific topics that all have derailed into it's-the-end-of-the-world comments or get-over-it-you-lost gloating.

Please feel free to unload here, everyone is allowed to express their feelings, but keep in mind the mantra, "I respectfully disagree".

Carry on. :)

I'll just say that I'm going to commit as much general debauchery as I possibly can over the next 4 years, as Armageddon is now surely inevitable before 2008. :|

Headache in a Suitcase said:
:eyebrow: many of those seperate threads had seperate themes... but eh... ok... i guess we're stuck to vote here in one cluster-F instead.

The "Congrats Pres. Bush" thread, "51% of Americans..." thread, and "Kerry Concedes" thread all had melted into a bunch of bickering on similar things. If you have a specific concern to address, such as the draft, you can start another thread and it can stay open as long as it stays on track and the personal attacks stay out.

Everyone should attempt to be at least somewhat civil here. The fact that we are all so passionate means we all care about the direction of the country and the world, so no more put downs. Arguments, yes, but keep the insulting down.

PS - Yes, this includes me too. I have been somewhat of an ass the last few days. Lot of stressful stuff in my life right now, and it is just too tempting to piss people off when posting. So, I apologize to those I have been obnoxious to.

DaveC said:
I'll just say that I'm going to commit as much general debauchery as I possibly can over the next 4 years, as Armageddon is now surely inevitable before 2008. :|

Pssst. Dave. Bush was elected President of the US. Not Canada.

It's the Democrats fault for coming up with such a crappy candidate. If they would've given a better option I guarantee he would've been elected over Bush.

The whole basis of the non-Bush supporters is exactly that: Anyone but Bush. You can't base a campaign on that.

It somehow managed to backfire on them into a "Anyone but Kerry - even if it's Bush" result.

Kerry is so bad he made Bush look good. :huh:

perhaps the merging of all the threads into one big cluster F woulda been a better idea... 'cause i had about 4 different discussions going on and now i'm sorta lost here :shrug: oh well

The problem with merging is that the new merged thread lists every post by time, and since people don't always quote who they are commenting on, it would be really screwed up since most of the comments in all 4 threads were made in the span of a few hours. I'm not saying we can't restart a topic of a specific concern that one had gone into, such as the draft or ballot counting concerns etc, we're just trying to get some of the chaos organized.

I think there is something substantially wrong with the media in the US. Newspapers and television networks openly supporting presedential candidates?:eyebrow:

BrownEyedBoy said:
It's the Democrats fault for coming up with such a crappy candidate. If they would've given a better option I guarantee he would've been elected over Bush.

The whole basis of the non-Bush supporters is exactly that: Anyone but Bush. You can't base a campaign on that.

It somehow managed to backfire on them into a "Anyone but Kerry - even if it's Bush" result.

Kerry is so bad he made Bush look good. :huh:

True, I voted for Kerry but was really just voting against Bush. While people have differing opinions of Clinton's political views (and possibly his antics while in office) he was a likeable, charismatic candidate. If Kerry had half of the charisma of Clinton or half of the presence of Reagan, I think he would be president.

bsp77 said:

True, I voted for Kerry but was really just voting against Bush. While people have differing opinions of Clinton's political views (and possibly his antics while in office) he was a likeable, charismatic candidate. If Kerry had half of the charisma of Clinton or half of the presence of Reagan, I think he would be president.

I believe that's true...the democrats didn't have someone who could match up to Bush. Bush won the popular vote fair and square.

I voted for Kerry just to send Bush a message even though I think I support Bush.

Maybe a lot of Americans were doing that. Sending Bush a message, saying that they prefer him but sending him a strong message that they expect him to shape up.

Last edited:
mathieu_cpfan said:
I think there is something substantially wrong with the media in the US. Newspapers and television networks openly supporting presedential candidates?:eyebrow:

well technicaly newspapers are only supposed to put their support behind a candidate in the editorial section of the paper, but more and more it's become harder for these editors to keep their opinions to themselves in the real news section of the papers.

U2Traveller said:
I voted for Kerry just to send Bush a message even though I think I support Bush.

Do you think Bush cares about your message? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, I was just wondering. :wink:

this makes up for the cardinals losing.

i did not like edwards' speech, but i thought kerrys was alright.

i'm just glad it's all over. it was a pretty tedious and taxing campaign.

:up:

FUCK FUCK FUCK, sorry for the language, I apologize, but WHAT THE HELL ARE PEOPLE THINKING?

What an awful day in American history, in world history. Our economy is completely horrible, prices are way up, we're in a country we have no business being in, and top it off....he just lifted the ban on assault weapons.. HURAYYY!!

America's thought they put into voting seriously reminds me of middle school, when we voted for class president. Remember? One guy wins when he says "I'll put coke in all of the water fountains" or "I'll extend lunch one hour." And then he wins. Forget about young middle and lower class kids dying in Iraq for no reason, its all about ethics and gay marriage. It's like all the people in the south and midwest just sit around and watch FOX NEWS all day, and don't have a clue whats going on in the rest of the world.

It is UNBELIEVABLE that people voted for this guy...I dont mean to bash the Bush supporters, this is a democracy, but can you seriously watch the debates and listen to Bush talk and actually think he should be the leader of the free world? GIVE ME A BREAK. This is going to be a long 4 years.

perhaps the merging of all the threads into one big cluster F woulda been a better idea... 'cause i had about 4 different discussions going on and now i'm sorta lost here :shrug: oh well

i agree

this has the appearance of closing threads because one does not like some opinions being expressed.

I wonder if young Bush supporters 18-22 believed Bush when he said we're not going to have a draft...cause its coming :banghead:

well technicaly newspapers are only supposed to put their support behind a candidate in the editorial section of the paper, but more and more it's become harder for these editors to keep their opinions to themselves in the real news section of the papers.
I don't even think that belongs in the editorial section. Newspapers should be informing people, not giving them voting-advice.

Threads were closed to eliminate clutter or to defuse shouting matches, nothing more.

Can't wait to see you guys when someone with less patience than me steps in to mod FYM. :|

RademR said:
I wonder if young Bush supporters 18-22 believed Bush when he said we're not going to have a draft...cause its coming :banghead:

We don't know that.

StlElevation said:

no, it's not.

keep thinking that my friend, after Bush invades another country for no reason he'll need some good young Americans to serve the time that he never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom