Pope George Pell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Beware world...

This Aussie is evil and according to some reports the possibility of this sad sad man becoming Pope is not as farfetched as it seems. Some Italian newspaper had him in the list of 18 possible successors to the John Paul bloke.

George Pell is all about:

Anti-abortion

Anti-contraception

Anti- homosexuality (and gay marriage)

Pro-Paedophilia? (Been discussed in relation to child molestation controversies)

Fascism? (Has Extreme right wing views according to some)

That's some CV....

A threat to world harmony if ever I've seen one.

One thing is for sure, I won't be sticking around in Australia for very long if this bigot becomes Pope.

All Aussies saw how the media and the public reacted when Princess Mary married that Never-worked-a-day-in-his-life Prince Fred of Denmark.

All of a sudden EVERYTHING about royalty and Denmark was wonderful and perfect. We were supposed to have established a strong link with Denmark and all of a sudden Monarachy was such a wonderful thing and was "Oh so acceptable!"

All based on one marriage....

Imagine if Pelly becomes Pope. All of a sudden the media will glorify Pell and glorify Catholism as if it is the most amazing and perfect and beautiful thing in the world. (which is far from the truth).

How far could it go?

To not be a Catholic is to be un-Australian?

Aussies, brainwashed by the media, will jump on the Catholic bandwagon and become, based on one bloke getting some rather meaningless and job, essentially a Catholic nation?

How would this impact on other relgious minorites?

Pope George Pell I

I couldn't think of anything worse!

Let's hope the world (and Australia, a country that has benefited oh so much from it's widespread agnosticism and lack of religous dogma), won't have to put up with the threat to world peace that is George Pell.

Oh for goodness sake he is not pro-fascist and is not pro-paedophilia. And how is he a threat to world peace?

There is bugger all chance of Australia suddenly transforming into a Catholic nation and there is no reason to be concerned.

intedomine said:
Let's hope the world (and Australia, a country that has benefited oh so much from it's widespread agnosticism and lack of religous dogma), won't have to put up with the threat to world peace that is George Pell.

Well I'm not familar with this dude Pell but 'threat to world peace'?? A bit over the top.

I really want to laugh at the comfortable ludicrousness of this thread, but the thought of that revolting man becoming pope gets me too fucking angry.
Interesting thread intedomine.

Yes, the original post in this thread is just a *tiny* over reaction, however, I agree with the general sentiment here - the guy is a flat out f*ckhead.

For the non-Aussies, he's very much the media/public face of the Catholic Church here. Very outspoken. Very conservative.

To me his ideas sound a lot like those of the last one. :reject: He's just not so good at masking it.

I'd be willing to put serious bucks on the next pope being a European--perhaps not an Italian, but a European. There will be other factors--do they want a "caretaker" after a 26-year pontificate? They'd better be careful, the last time they elected a "caretaker" they got Vatican II--Pope John XXIII. There's an element of unpredictability in any papal conclave. This might be another one.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much resigned to the next Pope being a pompous asshole. It's just a matter of picking which one!

Melon

Just because Australian public went bananas over Princess Mary doesn't mean that they have a similar gushing view of the -British- monarchy. In fact IMO it's precisely because Denmark is so far removed from Australia in just about every aspect that it's ok to find their royals acceptable.

George Pell... ugh. :mad:

Angela Harlem said:
I really want to laugh at the comfortable ludicrousness of this thread, but the thought of that revolting man becoming pope gets me too fucking angry.
Interesting thread intedomine.

Sorry...hope I haven't spoilt your day too much.

:wink:

Earnie Shavers said:
Yes, the original post in this thread is just a *tiny* over reaction, however, I agree with the general sentiment here - the guy is a flat out f*ckhead.

For the non-Aussies, he's very much the media/public face of the Catholic Church here. Very outspoken. Very conservative.

Maybe a bit over the top, but I had to get this nightmare out in writing...

All of the cardinals are against abortion. All are against contraception (advocating nfp instead). These positions (I'm going to ignore the 'fascist' and 'pedeophilic' accusations, they don't merit further comment) aren't specific to any one individual, whether they be an Aussie cardinal or an African deacon. Such positions are simply part of Catholic theology, and all those Catholics who adhere to Catholicism will share those same views. Any Catholic Cardinal, yesterday, today and tomorrow will hold the same opinions you so despise.

Also, just about all of the present Cardinals were chosen by Pope John Paul II, so they are going to have his views, more or less. Still, it was claimed, at one point right after the Pope's death, that one candidate, a Czech, had some liberal views. Pope Paul VI opposed the Viet Nam war and had peace masses at the Vatican. Right now the name floating all over the place is Ratzinger, but he's about to turn 78.

Back
Top Bottom