Poll shows Bush faltering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
An ABC/Newsweek poll this past week showed for the first time ever that if the election were held today, fewer people would vote for Bush than against him. 49% would NOT vote for him and 44% would. I hope this trend continues.

-----------------------------------------------------
General Wesley Clark For President

DraftWesleyClark.com

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The conservatives will come out of the woodwork and rag on the new president.

That's right, just a little role-reversal. I can't imagine this place dying if we put a Democrat in the White House. I might be too busy partying the night of January 20 of 2005 to post, but what the heck?

It's a nice dream. Six months from now, however, Iraq will be under control and the economy will continue to grow. And this place will be humming with "GWB is responsible for all human suffering" threads. :) :sexywink: :wave:

nbcrusader said:
It's a nice dream. Six months from now, however, Iraq will be under control and the economy will continue to grow. And this place will be humming with "GWB is responsible for all human suffering" threads. :) :sexywink: :wave:

I hope to heck Iraq does get under control. I don't want a Democrat in the White House because the people of Iraq are still suffering. They've been through enough. We'll see..........

nbcrusader said:

Yeah, my father-in-law still thinks they will find those WMD's. You know, the things that were so imminent, the things that we had sattelite photos of, the things we went to war for, the things the the Bush administration is hoping that everyone forgets about as long as things keep dragging on in Iraq. Talk about dreams.

And the economy has to grow. pretty much impossible for it to get worse. Looks like our deficit will be 1.4 Trillion by 2004 thanks to the Shrub.

Oh, there will still be plenty to complain about. And lots to praise as we see yet another Democratic president clean up the messes left behind.

-------------------------------------------

Wesley Clark For President
DraftWesleyClark.com

nbcrusader said:
Why should a democratic country be under control ? That is what it is all about ? Under control ?

Not the most unbiased report, but interesting none the less.

New Deficit Numbers: Really Bad, and Getting Much Worse

The Congressional Budget Office released new budget estimates
yesterday, and the news is not good. Adjusting its "baseline" to
actual spending and revenue trends, CBO said the federal budget
deficit would grow to a new world-record $480 billion next year.
Worse yet, the number-crunchers estimated that cumulative budget
deficits over the next 10 years would reach $5.8 trillion.
Recall that CBO was estimating 10-year budget surpluses of more
than five-and-a-half trillion dollars when George W. Bush took
office, and you get an idea of the breathtaking deterioration of
the country's fiscal condition in less than three years.

The Bush administration reacted to this very bad news in its
accustomed What-Me-Worry fashion, suggesting that the economic
growth that's just around the corner will wipe out deficits, and
that after all, no one estimated the budget surpluses of the
1990s 10 years out.

These responses are, to use the online abbreviation, LOL
(laughing out loud) hilarious. The CBO estimates already assume
a big, booming economic recovery beginning next year and
continuing throughout the rest of the decade -- hardly a lead
pipe cinch, especially if public borrowing continues to spike
ever upwards. Furthermore, the surpluses of the 1990s did not
magically appear due to some fortuitous economic growth. There
was, ahem, that big deficit reduction package forced through
Congress by the Clinton administration in 1993 without a single
Republican vote (the package, you may recall, that Republicans
said would produce a deep recession), along with a balanced
budget agreement that President Clinton signed in 1997. Most
economists would say that these acts of fiscal discipline helped
produce the sensational economy of the late 1990s.

Today, if anything, CBO is underestimating the vast borrowing
binge the federal government is about to undertake so long as the
Bush administration is the drunken sailor with the national
credit card. Progressive Policy Institute senior economist Jeff
Lemieux adjusted the CBO estimates to reflect what will happen if:

The tax cuts enacted since 2001, which CBO assumes will vanish
in 2011 due to the phony sunsets placed in tax legislation to
disguise their real cost, are in fact made permanent.
Discretionary spending (which includes defense) grows at least
as fast as the economy, an extremely conservative estimate.
A Medicare drug benefit costing at least $400 billion over 10
years is enacted (both Houses of Congress have passed, and the
administration supports, a drug benefit that will cost at least
that much).
Congress acts to index or otherwise adjust the Alternative
Minimum Tax, which will soon start to bite into upper-middle-
class incomes in a politically intolerable way within the next
couple of years.

With these vastly more realistic assumptions, Lemieux calculates
that the budget deficit will reach a cool half-trillion next
year, and will total $6.1 trillion a decade from now, or an
alarming five percent of the gross domestic product. The
national debt, which we were seriously talking about retiring
altogether towards the end of the Clinton administration, would
reach $10 trillion a decade hence. At that point, annual debt
service alone would be $526 billion, considerably more than
today's defense budget. And then, mind you, things would really
start to get down and dirty due to the retirement of the baby
boom generation, and the massive new Social Security and Medicare
costs that phenomenon will entail. Indeed, according to Lemieux,
on the Bush administration's present trajectory, deficits will
rise from 6 percent of GDP in 2015 to 12 percent by 2025, while
the national debt will grow from 60 percent of GDP to 120 percent
by 2025.

It's very important for Democrats and responsible Republicans to
start talking about these numbers in a simple and vivid way as
part of the evaluation of the Bush administration's stewardship
of the national budget and the national economy in 2004. These
folks are on a reckless path in which our nation's solvency, the
vibrancy of our national economy, the ability of government to
provide for the common defense and other common needs, and the
opportunities to be enjoyed by future generations, are all being
sacrificed to a monomaniacal determination to cut taxes on the
wealthy without the courage to cut spending to make ends meet.

Rono said:
Why should a democratic country be under control ? That is what it is all about ? Under control ?

Not to put words in nbcrusader's mouth but the term "under control" here, I think, is meant as "at peace" or "stable" and not "under our rule".

womanfish said:
An ABC/Newsweek poll this past week showed for the first time ever that if the election were held today, fewer people would vote for Bush than against him. 49% would NOT vote for him and 44% would. I hope this trend continues.

-----------------------------------------------------
General Wesley Clark For President

DraftWesleyClark.com

Anything would be better than another 4 years of Dubya.

bonocrazy88 said:
I know I am not in good company, but I love Dubya! I can't deny it...don't ask me why...it's just my opinion... :)

Each to their own. I don't have anything against Bush personally. I just don't like his agenda and I will vote for the Democrat next year.

44% would? holy cow those are good percents connsidering the other 49 percent has nonone else to vote for. bush will be the next president

megadrum2002 said:
44% would? holy cow those are good percents connsidering the other 49 percent has nonone else to vote for. bush will be the next president

What do you mean the other 49% have no one to vote for? There will be a Democrat candidate selected from the candidates involved in the primary, and most likely a number of candidates from the smaller parties. If all of those 49% who won't vote for Bush do get out and vote against him in November '04 then Bush won't be the next President. (At least that's supposed to be how it works. :p)

bonocrazy88 said:
I know I am not in good company, but I love Dubya! I can't deny it...don't ask me why...it's just my opinion... :)

You can't post in FYM and not expect someone to ask the inevitable question...what do you like about Dubya? Is it more about his domestic policies, or his foreign policy? Do you support him because you think he's better than the alternatives or because you think he's absolutely the best person for the job? Will you vote for him next election?

:)

FizzingWhizzbees said:

You can't post in FYM and not expect someone to ask the inevitable question...what do you like about Dubya? Is it more about his domestic policies, or his foreign policy? Do you support him because you think he's better than the alternatives or because you think he's absolutely the best person for the job? Will you vote for him next election?

:)

I started loving GWB @ the start of the election. Anyone who goes to my school will tell you I am the girl who likes George W. (Since I found Bono though, I am over Dubya:wink: )
I always used to watch him, and I always loved the fact that he has a good heart...he may not always make the right decisions in other people's opinions, but I think he cares about us. That's just my opinion.
If I could vote I suppose I would vote for Dubya...depends on who else ran (blasphemy!):tongue:
wgirl002[1].jpg

bonocrazy88 said:

I started loving GWB @ the start of the election. Anyone who goes to my school will tell you I am the girl who likes George W. (Since I found Bono though, I am over Dubya:wink: )
I always used to watch him, and I always loved the fact that he has a good heart...he may not always make the right decisions in other people's opinions, but I think he cares about us. That's just my opinion.
If I could vote I suppose I would vote for Dubya...depends on who else ran (blasphemy!):tongue:

I would like some specific examples of this man's "good heart."

I personally don't know if he is just evil or if he is so incompetent that he doesn't know how to do any good things.

nbcrusader said:
Also, you can't post in FYM and expect someone to answer those questions.

I don't *expect* people to answer my questions, I just throw them out there for discussion. :)

And while Dubya may or may not have a good heart, I prefer a President to have a good brain to go with it. :p

womanfish said:

I would like some specific examples of this man's "good heart."

I personally don't know if he is just evil or if he is so incompetent that he doesn't know how to do any good things.

I just like Bush! Who you like may not be who I like :)....I just have always had a thing for Bush!

its all good. I liked Bush in 2000 but decided to write in a vote for McCain in the end. The problem in 2000 was that both candidates sucked. Since then, Bush has totally f---ed up. As a New Yorker, I find the last few years under his reign disgusting. Pushing for the EPA to lie about air quality after Sept. 11. Using the deaths of 3000 people as a reason to fight Iraq and then using them to drum up support for him at the GOP Convention in NYC the week before the anniversary of their deaths as if all 3000 people would have voted for him.

the guy grosses me out.

Back
Top Bottom