Poll: Is George W. Bush becoming unpopular???????????? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2003, 02:43 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:08 AM
hey theres too much of this - here!

Old 03-04-2003, 02:48 PM   #82
War Child

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Well... Bush sure isn't becomin unpopular around here

Old 03-04-2003, 02:50 PM   #83
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Considering the secular Enlightenment philosophy of the Founding Fathers and some of their comments, especially Benjamin Franklin ("Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security are deserving of neither") and their cynical view of government, I tend to think that I'm right on this.

Melon
Classic Liberal Theory believes that the government should only exists to protect it's citizens. There is a contract between the government and it's people. Upon agreeing to this contract, the individual is aware that he will sacrifice a small amount of his liberty in order for the government to protect him/her.

I tend to think I'm right on this...
Old 03-04-2003, 03:40 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
verte76: well if you go back in time you allways get the "winners history" - so i don't think it's biased.
Why not take the informations you can get (not only the ones you like) and make up your own mind?

Klaus

I do have an opinion. It's no secret that Bush is even pissing off allies. The Arabs are against a war in Iraq. The press has been quoting Rumsfeld as claiming that the Arabs want a war in Iraq. Huh? The news about the Arab opinion came out of reliable sources reporting on a summit held by Arabic powers to handle the Iraq crisis. Like I said before, I am anti-Bush. I don't like his arrogance, and I don't like this pro-war stuff of his. Rumsfeld is a . I'm just saying that in the future some stuff may come out that we don't know about right now. Maybe some aide will write memoirs of the Bush White House in ten years and spill some previously untouched beans. That doesn't erase the fact that Bush is pissing off allies right and left. I work in a library and people are still writing books about the Reagan administration. The more time goes on, the more complete the knowledge is about any and all public figures.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:38 PM   #85
Refugee

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Sidenote: I love that people are begining to call Dubya and Rumsfeld 's and mother- 's and pieces-of-dog- . It's about time!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah....and here's a for diamond
Old 03-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #86
She wore graaaapes

Local Time: 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
Sidenote: I love that people are begining to call Dubya and Rumsfeld 's and mother- 's and pieces-of-dog- . It's about time!!!!!!!!

That seems unnecessary.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:14 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropa

Classic Liberal Theory believes that the government should only exists to protect it's citizens. There is a contract between the government and it's people. Upon agreeing to this contract, the individual is aware that he will sacrifice a small amount of his liberty in order for the government to protect him/her.

I tend to think I'm right on this...
I don't think what Bush is doing is sacrificing a "small amount" of liberty. The Patriot Act of 2001 authorizes domestic espionage and secret trials. I don't think that is what classical liberals envisioned, particularly since they revolted against imperial kingdoms that did both.

Melon
Old 03-04-2003, 09:18 PM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:08 AM
bush is a cool cat under pressure.
as true artists and true leaders do..
he
will
not
sell
out.

thank u
diamond
Old 03-04-2003, 09:21 PM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

I do have an opinion. It's no secret that Bush is even pissing off allies. The Arabs are against a war in Iraq. The press has been quoting Rumsfeld as claiming that the Arabs want a war in Iraq. Huh? The news about the Arab opinion came out of reliable sources reporting on a summit held by Arabic powers to handle the Iraq crisis.
I just want to jump in here. Arab governements in public have not always stated publicly what they are saying privately.

This may or may not be different than any governement, but it is particularly true, for them, that they make public statements to appease their populations, and then say another thing in private.

Peace
Old 03-04-2003, 10:18 PM   #90
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
he
will
not
sell
out.
he already did 18 months ago.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:38 PM   #91
Ghost of Love

Re: re: making the world a safer place

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
:
Old 03-04-2003, 10:53 PM   #92
The Fly

Anti-Bush
Hes a corporate puppet, a moron, and it sickens me that in America you can ride your fathers coattails into the white house.
I heard I cool lil song recently
if youre corporate fraud is growin, bomb Iraq
and if youre personal ties are showin, bomb Iraq

sung to the tune of 'If youre happy and you know it'
I cant remember the rest of it
Old 03-05-2003, 01:49 AM   #93
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I don't think what Bush is doing is sacrificing a "small amount" of liberty. The Patriot Act of 2001 authorizes domestic espionage and secret trials. I don't think that is what classical liberals envisioned, particularly since they revolted against imperial kingdoms that did both.

Melon
This may be true, however, we no longer follow the classic liberal theory in our government. Government has played an increaingly larger role in our everyday lives. Social Security, Welfare, and various other federal run social programs have no place in the classic liberal government, yet they are alive and well in the US. Liberal theory revolted against arbitrary government, particular in against Monarchs in France and Britain. The US revolution was not a revolt against tyranical government, it was over the the right of self sovereignty. The colonies and Britain actually had virtually identical ideological beliefs (Whig Ideology).
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that while the founders may have formed the US Govt based on the Classic liberal state (Locke in particular), the state has evolved into an increasingly intrusive state, moving further away from it's origins. The patriot act is justified on two counts, one which I've already stated, and on a secondary level that follows the increased role of the federal govt that justifies further intrusion into our privacy in order to protect us.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:11 AM   #94
Ghost of Love

"There will be no justice as long as man will stand with a knife or with a gun and destroy those who are weaker than he is. "

Isaac Bashevis Singer, 1904 - 1991
Old 03-05-2003, 10:39 AM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I just want to jump in here. Arab governements in public have not always stated publicly what they are saying privately.

This may or may not be different than any governement, but it is particularly true, for them, that they make public statements to appease their populations, and then say another thing in private.

Peace

This is true. Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of those governments. It was just in the headlines on my ISP that Iraq and Kuwait are having a monumental dispute at the summit. Surprise, surprise........