POLL!: Death Penalty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Thanks Fizzy.

I only took into account the result, rather than the process to get there -> laywers are paid too much imho, but I suppose thats where the extra costs come in, since trials are quite pricey. The more you know. Once again beauracratic red tape has screwed me over lol

But that's exactly it.

Executing someone doesn't cost more than keeping them alive in prison for the remainder of their days.

The bullshit appeals sure do though.

In some (many) cases I believe this is more an indictment of the judicial system than it is a good argument against capital punishment. But I waver.

Absolutely, resolutely against. For a number of reasons. Here are a couple of good examples:
<A HREF="http://www.dnai.com/~mwood/deathpen.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dnai.com/~mwood/deathpen.html

</A> http://www.psv.com/death.html

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

[This message has been edited by Crzy4Bono (edited 02-09-2002).]

Cheaper to let them live. AND they suffer so much more! So if it's a penalty you want them to pay, let them live. Military tribunals should however, keep capital punishment. *prepares to take many hits from flying objects*

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

Against. Mainly because of the irreversibility issue, but also because I consider lifelong imprisonment a worse punishment.

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:
http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum12/HTML/001701.html

'nuff said.

Kill the cunt.

OMG I just read that, Rufus.
I just can't believe those kind of things. But sadly, they do happen and all the time, everywhere.
frown.gif

I'd rather see that motherfucker bastard being raped and tortured to death instead of just 'losing his life' without any physical pain

That son of a bitch
mad.gif
In fact, I'm that raging that I'd cut his balls with a knife. Honest
mad.gif

------------------
I Love controversy

Why am I not a vegetable??

Against it. If I said I was "pro-life" and then stated I was for the "death penalty," I would be a major hypocrite.

As for those who are obvious threats to society, nothing suits them better than rotting away in prison forever with no chance for parole. I don't buy the usual crap argument that prison is just an easy ride. If that's the case, then why are most reasonable people scared of it?

Besides, the last thing we need is martyrdom. I'm always reminded of V.I. Lenin's older brother, who was executed for plotting against the tsar. Not only did such a situation profoundly anger him, it was his motivation to start the communist revolution and the Soviet Union over thirty years later. We would like to think that by executing someone, we are simply disposing of that person forever. That may be the case, but that person does have loved ones, and it is selfish to take that person away from their family. It is certainly not going to erase what crime he/she perpetrated. Like I said, let them rot in prison without parole. Seems like more than a fit punishment.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by MSU2mike:
The bullshit appeals sure do though.

I find it funny how people value the beauty of our American system, and, when it is working, somehow we trash it. Appeals were put in place to ensure that judges would not be biased and to ensure that the due process of the law would be assured. This is of utmost importance when a person's life is at stake. "Justice" should not be equated with "guilt." Whatever happened to "innocent before proven guilty"?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Back
Top Bottom