Political Campaigning Is Hurting America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The midterm elections are this week. I live in Ohio. Therefore, I have been bombarded with an incredible amount of political commericals in the past two or so months. I hate these commercials. I find them to be offensive and disheartening.

Offensive in that they're hurting America. The political system in the wealthiest, most powerful country in the world has been reduced to grown men(and women) trading insults with each other over the airwaves in the same way that eight year olds trade insults with each other on the playground. Only, it's infinitely worse than that because eight year olds aren't pretending to be doing something else while they're insulting each other.

Being in Ohio, the ads I've seen the most of have been those conerning the Mike DeWine/Sherrod Brown U.S. Senatorial race. I see a DeWine ad that consists of DeWine talking to us about social security and taxes and how's looking out for us, and then a two-second video of DeWine gathering his wife, children, grandchildren, siblings, their children, other family, dogs, goldifsh, and more in front of his very scenic house for a 'one big happy family' photo. 'I'm Mike DeWine and I approve this message'.

Then I see a Brown ad that consists of 'the more we get together the happier we'll be' being played over a photo of DeWine and GWB both looking mentally unstable while the voiceover reads DeWine the riot act: "Mike DeWine did this, Mike DeWine voted against/for this, Mike DeWine supported this issue and/or person, Mike DeWine can't be trusted, Mike DeWine should be fed to a firing squad, etc". Come to think of it, this might've been a 'paid-for-by-the Democratic Party' commerical rather than a Brown commercial, but if it was, let's not be naive and think Brown didn't know all about it.

Then I see another DeWine ad that consists of a few old ladies lamenting about how they 'just can't trust' Sherrod Brown, and acting all old-lady pissy and everything. "I'm Mike DeWine and I approve this message."

Then I see another Brown ad that consists of a voiceover covering all the horrible unforgivable things Mike DeWine has done, with doomsday music the background, followed by a sudden change to a voiceover telling us how Sherrod Brown is our guardian angel, living to protect us from all the evils that this big wide world may offer, with the music changing from 'doomsday' to 'the angelic theme of Sherrod Brown'. "I'm Sherrod Brown and I approve this message."

Then I see yet another DeWine ad that consists of the sister of a guy who was killed in Iraq telling us about how she has never met a man with more integrity or compassion than Mike DeWine and then, in my favorite part, she addresses Brown directly and tells him how 'we' have a senator who cares about us and tells the truth', and then, in an attempt at being clever, finishes with 'and his name is Mike DeWine'. "I'm Mike DeWine and I approve this message."

Then I see still another Brown ad that consists of U.S. Senator John Glenn supporting Brown, telling us about how Brown won't take a dime of health benefits from Congress until every Ohioan has coverage. "The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is responsible for the content of this advertisement."

And then I stick a needle in my eye to ease the pain.

And that's just one campaign. It's the same with the other Sentatorial campagins and Congressional campaigns. Even the lesser offices - i.e. State Treasurer's office, City Commissioner - have people vying for them as though they were running for President.

When I'm through watching these ads, the only think they've convinced me of is that both of these guys are just disingenious bullshit artists, and that you can't believe a word that comes out of either of their mouths. It has NOTHING to do with any of the things they talk about in their ads. It has NOTHING to do with bettering the country or the people living in it. It has EVERYTHING to do with massaging their own egos in pursuit of power and money. It has EVERYTHING to do with winning. Their job isn't to vote for this bill or that, to support this issue or that one; it's to win and to throw as much bullshit out there as is needed to do so.

I know I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know, but I just felt the need to vent. Because I feel like this system of bullshit politics is hurting America. There's nothing real about it. It's all a show, and ESPECIALLY during election season, the ads are all for show. Furthermore, the reality is that that show(the Ads) is aimed at a very slim percentage of the population - those who will vote but are as-of-now undecided, and I firmly believe that those people who are actually persuaded by 'one big happy family' photos, doomsday music/angel music dynamics, 'ordinary people' being used to spoonfeed us unconvincing rhetoric, heavy-voiced riot act voiceovers, or politicians' direct, overly contrived attempts at appearing wholesome and moral and pure, shouldn't even be allowed to vote.

I realize that's a very undemocratic thing to say, but I honestly believe that people who vote for ANY candidate for the wrong reasons are just as big a part of the problem as the politicians that bludgeon us with bullshit. I can't tell you how often I would read on the internet, during the last Presidential election, about people who decided who to vote for based on who they would rather have a drink with, and I can't tell you how disturbing that is.

And I can't tell you how disheartening it is know that no matter how bad the onslaught of ads has been this midterm election season, and no matter how relieved I am that it's over in a few days - and believe me, it was very bad and I am very relieved - that it was nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to what it's going to be like two years from now, when instead of Senatorial and Congressional campaigns, it's Hilary/Kerry/Obama vs McCain/Guliani/whoever.

Rant over.

I was actually got to post something similar to this. I cannot believe how DIRTY and ATTACKING the politics are. I am so surprised that political ads can actually attack opponants. Also why would you have an ad attacking an opponant rather then a whole ad on what you can bring to the table.

Here in australia, no politician doesn't have dirt on their hands, but the ferociousness of the attacks between politicans in the states is amazing, and frankly pathetic!

We had a news story last night on local radio about how 90% of ads for the election in the states are attack ads, with a lot using sexual innuendos and unproven allegations to sell their message, and thats not right.

No wonder people don't want to go into politics. EVRYTHING about you is scrutinised and twsited to fit an argument against you - its a horrible thing to see I feel sorry for you all!

:love:

Couldn't agree with you more. I wish there would be limitations as to what you could say in those commercials. State your stance on the issue and let the man with the better plan win.
We're getting some pretty awful ads in Florida too, with the same doomsday music for the evil candidate and the bright chipper music for advertiser. It's a nice little Pavlov experiment.
But sadly, I guess this is what the majority want. They want to see a public spectacle, a modern day pillory to determine who's going to be the best at not keeping their promises.

dazzlingamy said:
Also why would you have an ad attacking an opponant rather then a whole ad on what you can bring to the table.

Why run attack ads? It's very simple. Because they work. :shrug:

And namkcuR -- I have an easy way to ease your pain. Turn off the tv. Works like a charm.

indra said:
And namkcuR -- I have an easy way to ease your pain. Turn off the tv. Works like a charm.

They're commercials. They air DURING programs that I DO want to watch. I can't turn the TV off. I can mute the TV when the commercials come on, and I do, but that doesn't stop me from seeing them.

dazzlingamy said:
Well thats VERY scary if people are that swayed by vindictive see you next tuesday-y political candidates and vote for them.

Are people that stupid?

Yes.

Unless you go out of your way to research the candidates on your own, you'll be voting based on who has the best attack ad.

Damn the media. I suggest politicians may only address the public in person, by radio, or ride from town to town, on horseback, to deliver their message to the people in each borough's town square.

The White House Press Corps, as well as the teams of reporters traveling with senate/congressional candidates, will be replaced by one man for each team, with round spectacles and a telegraph machine. This will require the significant re-investment in America's telegraph lines, but in the end it will bring us closer as a society. Reports will be unbiased and succinct. STOP

Also, we will remove our international ties with other nations, and return to America's most Godly ambition - invading Cuba.

Last edited:
dazzlingamy said:
I was actually got to post something similar to this. I cannot believe how DIRTY and ATTACKING the politics are. I am so surprised that political ads can actually attack opponants. Also why would you have an ad attacking an opponant rather then a whole ad on what you can bring to the table.

I'm glad you started this thread namkcuR. I ahte the ads, and I just tune them out when they are on, or fast forward if I have that option.

I agree with you as well dazzlingamy :up:

Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

Couldn't agree with you more. I wish there would be limitations as to what you could say in those commercials. State your stance on the issue and let the man with the better plan win
:up:

I was discussing this with a friend recently as to why it's allowed that you can attack your opponent and twist the truth to fit your needs in these ads instead of just stating who you are and your position on the issues. And I was wondering when all this negative advertising actually began. It has to STOP. It turns so many people off to politics and voting, and this is the time when we need the people to speak up the most, and hopefully with a semi-informed decision - not to vote based on the fact that someone once attended a Super Bowl party with a LOT of other people :huh:

Bill Maher brought this up last night on 'Real Time With Bill Maher' (HBO) stating we should outlaw all the political advertising. It was near the end with 'New Rules', but the latest rules are not posted on his site for a few days, or I'd post his rant about it here as well...

namkcuR said:

They're commercials. They air DURING programs that I DO want to watch. I can't turn the TV off. I can mute the TV when the commercials come on, and I do, but that doesn't stop me from seeing them.

Actually I meant to turn off the tv entirely, not just during commercials. In a few weeks you'd be surprised how little you miss it.

Or maybe I'm just weird.

indra said:

Actually I meant to turn off the tv entirely, not just during commercials. In a few weeks you'd be surprised how little you miss it.

Or maybe I'm just weird.

I'd miss it. Big time. There are at least ten shows I watch weekly.

But that's another thread.

The main thing that frustrates me is the people who fall for the ads. If people would educate themselves and see through the ads, the ads wouldn't even exist!

So what's the real problem, the people or the politicians?

I'd say both.

namkcuR said:

I'd miss it. Big time. There are at least ten shows I watch weekly.

But that's another thread.

I DVR (TiVo) my shows, which works out well because I'm often doing something that has me busy past 8 (or 9, whatever). When I'm done tucking in my kids or whatever I start the shows, and just fast-forward past those nasty attack ads. I honestly don't know what I ever did without the DVR, and I'm not really that much of a TV nut...movies mostly.

Down here in FL the gubernatorial race has been pretty nasty...I know the attack ads do work but for me it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth about both candidates.

The problem is that your pre-elections in the US are too long. As soon as the midterm elections are over, you'll essentially get 2 years of campaigning for President. It's ridiculous.

Because we don't have fixed elections in Canada, they can essentially be called anytime. Then you're given 5 weeks to campaign before election day and that's that. It's nowhere near as hysterical.

anitram said:
The problem is that your pre-elections in the US are too long. As soon as the midterm elections are over, you'll essentially get 2 years of campaigning for President. It's ridiculous.

Because we don't have fixed elections in Canada, they can essentially be called anytime. Then you're given 5 weeks to campaign before election day and that's that. It's nowhere near as hysterical.

I have noticed this too. There is a slight period of no election crap but for the most part, from up here it does seem to be one long election wasting millions of dollars on negative and divisive advertising.

Generally, I feel that democracy is a joke now anyway. Yes, there is representation but by whom? Does the average representative represent the average constituent? Hardly. The politicians generally act in their own self-interest. There are some exceptions and it is refreshing to see a rich politician give away their salary to charity as Danny Williams, Premier of Newfoundland is doing. As Tommy Douglas once said, it's time for the mice to stop electing cats and elect mice. Unfortunately, mice can't afford to participate in the highest echelons of public office.

Aren't the Cons trying to legislate fixed elections for Canada? Of course, legislating and passing a bill are two different things considering the only legislation passed by the current House has been the budget. Great to see our humble public servants working so hard on our behalf.:wink:

Last edited:
Actually campaigning for President begins one day after the last Presidential election. They're just not spending the money yet. They're raising it.

I don't even notice the negative campaigns much anymore. There is a race for the one Congressional seat in Vermont (I think) that is getting national coverage because it has been a nice campaign.

I've watched the DeWine/Brown ads, and, yes, I find all of them annoying. However, one difference I noted is that Brown's ads focus on DeWine's record, whereas DeWine's ads are generally nothing but laughable attack ads that show a man desperate to cling on to reelection. His accusations of unpaid taxes (which were paid--one of DeWine's attack ads even said so [albeit, with a misleading, "scary" voice]) and drugs in the office really just make me chuckle.

I was under the impression that DeWine was a relative moderate in Congress, but after watching all these stupid ads, I have nothing but contempt for the man. Too bad I can't cast a vote against him, because I live just across the border in Michigan.

:up:

I agree with all of you (especially Ormus - DeWine is sad, he even has Vionovich begging for him in some new ads in Cleveland). The only real solution is public funding for elections and mandatory limited free tv ads. Everyone gets x amount of dollars depending on the position running for. It would limit all the tv ad buying and constant fund raising. It would also allow people with limited funds to run for office, not only millionaires or billionaires anymore. One of the main things is it would allow more actual work done in the Congress.

indra said:

Or maybe I'm just weird.

Hell no you're not weird! I own a TV, but only to watch DVDs. I spend all the $ I saved by not getting cable on booze. :drool: I haven't watched TV regularly for about 3 years now. I only do on occasion when visiting people, and believe me as soon as I turn it on, I wish I hadn't.

Erm...back to the topic about ads. One of my friends thought that the next thing would be pop-up campaign ads on websites. The day that happens is the day I leave the country for good.

More evidence for the title of this thread, or for the statement "Political Campaigning is Hurting Democracy in America":

my roommate was just on the phone with her mother, who lives in Tennessee, key battleground state. My roommate was encouraging her mother to vote and her mother said "I really can't see the point in voting. They've only said bad things about eachother, not what they will do for us."

Yeah I was just going to say, when both candidates act like douchebags attacking each other in commercials, it only gives people more incentive NOT to vote.

Varitek said:
More evidence for the title of this thread, or for the statement "Political Campaigning is Hurting Democracy in America":

my roommate was just on the phone with her mother, who lives in Tennessee, key battleground state. My roommate was encouraging her mother to vote and her mother said "I really can't see the point in voting. They've only said bad things about eachother, not what they will do for us."

Tell her mom that she must vote! But to get her and her friends to write my name in instead of choosing the candidates bashing each other.

I stand for love and justice, and cookies!!! :up:

But yeah, it's ironic how they come up with these ads to sway voters into one direction, but it ends up turning them off to the whole democratic process instead.

The less people who vote, the less people they have to manipulate. No wonder lobbyists rule Washington, so many people have become disenfranchised with the system, they are willing to allow a minority of people elect the government. If I was campaign organizer, this is sweet. We only have to pander to a small number of people and convince them we are the lesser of two evils. It's hard to appeal to 100% of the electorate. But much easier to appeal to evangelical Christians or hardcore liberals since they are smaller representations of a large society.

Perhaps they want to encourage ambivalence towards voting? Seems that way sometimes, don't it?

trevster2k said:
The less people who vote, the less people they have to manipulate. No wonder lobbyists rule Washington, so many people have become disenfranchised with the system, they are willing to allow a minority of people elect the government. If I was campaign organizer, this is sweet. We only have to pander to a small number of people and convince them we are the lesser of two evils. It's hard to appeal to 100% of the electorate. But much easier to appeal to evangelical Christians or hardcore liberals since they are smaller representations of a large society.

Perhaps they want to encourage ambivalence towards voting? Seems that way sometimes, don't it?

Well that's cynicism if I ever saw it. A scary thought. But these days I can't say for sure that there isn't a grain of truth in it.

I admit to being a cynical SOB!! :wink:

Until I start seeing otherwise, I vote for the politician who will do the least damage, not the best job. Cause in the end, they all get kicked out on their asses. At least I still vote, voter turnout numbers are shrinking every election. Sad sad sad!!

Back
Top Bottom