Political Activism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzingWhizzbees

ONE love, blood, life
I was just wondering how many people here are politically active? Like campaigning for a certain political party? Or being involved in a campaign like anti-racism, or anything else? Or lobbying the government to pass better legislation on certain issues?

If you are involved, then what sort of activities do you do? How often do you participate? What do you enjoy about it? What motivates you?

Well, i am on a point i want to do something again. I joined a politic party and i will take some course in politics, this authumn and i am involved with union work.

I do not know what i will do with it in the future but i a sick of complaining about the world and than do nothing.

A nice side effect, i do meet very interesting people and i learn a lot about myself.

nothing formal for sure. i couldn't bring myself to align with a mass mentality and say this is my ideology(i think that is how anarchism was born, out of fear of the group mentality of socialsm).

i have a certain set of beliefs. i've been involved in various forums in which i've been given a chance to express them, in some cases gained access to high up people who have been kind enough to lend an ear. has it really effected a change of any significance? i don't think it's realistic to expect laws/regulations in your nation to change unless you are in a position of some importance(otherwise governance would be a mess).

rather, in the end, it is peoples actions that matter, that effect, and if i express my opinion and what i believe to be right within my network of contacts and they happen to agree with me...well then i'll settle for that.

[/senselessramble]

hmm. I'm not politically active more than making sure to participate in elections (civic duty and all that;) ). My small attempt to do my part to change the world at this point in time is volunteering two years of service to the Peace Corps. It seemed a more practical, hands-on, less-rhetoric, no-partisanship thing to do. :D

kobayashi said:
i couldn't bring myself to align with a mass mentality and say this is my ideology(i think that is how anarchism was born, out of fear of the group mentality of socialsm).

:yes: this is exactly the way i feel. no matter how well my beliefs line up with a political party, i won't identify myself with them.

i have been really interested in politics since fifth grade (i was 10) when my mom went on a trip to cambodia. ever since that i've been really interested in how our government works and the like.

my "activism" comes in the form of informing. my peers all throughout high school never knew what was going on, and i could explain it in good terms to them, so i was always the person to tell them what was going on with our government. hell, i even had a venn-diagram of the beliefs of republicans, democrats, and independents.

about 4 months ago though, i got into drop the debt pretty hard core, getting my friends to write letters and call. i'm trying to set up a meeting with betty mccollum (my rep) to talk about it.

what i enjoy about it is knowing that my friends are more informed about what's going on in their country and that hopefully they will stay informed by *gasp* reading a newspaper or watching the news. that makes me happy.

Lilly said:

:yes: this is exactly the way i feel. no matter how well my beliefs line up with a political party, i won't identify myself with them.

This is all fine and good, as I myself would identify myself on the basis of my ideals before I would a Political party. Though I'm going to vote the Party that A)Closely represents my beliefs and B)Holds a realistic Shot at Winning and Implementing those beliefs... Be wary of making yourself into a "Idealistic" martyr, as a lot of good it is going to do you if you spend your entire life wasting your vote on the 'Libertarian' party.

Using my vote to make a visible difference,
L.Unplugged

Lemonite said:

This is all fine and good, as I myself would identify myself on the basis of my ideals before I would a Political party. Though I'm going to vote the Party that A)Closely represents my beliefs and B)Holds a realistic Shot at Winning and Implementing those beliefs... Be wary of making yourself into a "Idealistic" martyr, as a lot of good it is going to do you if you spend your entire life wasting your vote on the 'Libertarian' party.

Using my vote to make a visible difference,
L.Unplugged

i only said i was hesitant to be associated with parties, not vote for them. i understand your point completely, as i have been thinking of that balance (vote for who will be able to implement what you want cos if you vote for them and they aren't in office, they aren't doing shit for you) a lot seeing as this november will be my first time eligeable to vote.

Back
Top Bottom