"Please Save Me!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
From Amnesty International....Evidence that inspections were NOT working!!!!
AI INDEX: MDE 14/005/2003 6 February 2003 Printer Friendly

PUBLIC AI Index:
MDE 14/005/2003

6 February 2003

UA 35/03 Fear for safety/"disappearance"/fear of torture or
ill-treatment

IRAQ 'Adnan 'Abdul Karim Enad (m), aged 28

'Adnan 'Abdul Karim Enad has "disappeared" after being detained by Iraqi security personnel in the capital, Baghdad. Amnesty International is seriously concerned for his safety, as he is at risk of torture or ill-treatment should he be in detention.

On 25 January 2003 'Adnan 'Abdul Karim Enad was seen on television screens around the world being taken away by Iraqi security personnel after he had forced his way into a United Nations (UN) weapons inspector's vehicle. He had reportedly attempted to hand over documents to UN weapons inspectors, but there is no information on what the documents contained. As he was led away, he shouted "Please save me". He has not been seen since.

'Adnan 'Abdul Karim Enad served about two years in prison in the southern city of Basra in 1994 or 1995 for refusing to complete his military service. He is said to have been unemployed before his arrest on 25 January and is not known to have any political affiliation.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION
In November 2002, UN weapons inspectors resumed work in Iraq after the Iraqi government had accepted UN Resolution 1441, on weapons of mass destruction and long range ballistic missiles.

The use of torture and ill-treatment in Iraq is systematic and has particularly targeted political or suspected political opponents. They are held incommunicado and at risk of being detained for months or years without access to lawyers or relatives. Amnesty International remains particularly concerned about the large number of people who have "disappeared" in Iraq. To date, the
fate and whereabouts of tens of thousands of people remain unknown

well, i see no proof of what those documents held.

dread, noone believes that saddam's regime is a good one. i think 100 per cent of us would agree with that.

No, this is not my point Gickie Bear. You cannot claim that inspections were working when people are taken away who come forward. The idea of inspections was that people would be able to approach the inspection team uninhibited. I did not start this thread to say Bad Regime.

People say inspections were working fine. I would say, that people disappearing who approach the inspectors without permission prevents the the process from working.

Peace

I have seen interviews with 3 seperate men, all former Iraqi weapons scientists. All of them say they know for sure that he has VX, mustard, athrax, etc... 2 of them also claimed that he was very close having nuclear capability. One of the men was responsible for moving 39 rods of spent uranium so they wouldn't be destroyed in 1981 by the Israeli's. He said that they were at a point were they almost had enough enriched uranium for 2 bombs at that point. He said that there were other "enrichment facilites" under contruction at that point to at the time that he fled Iraq. The other scientist said that he thought that Iraq was probably within 2 years of having nuclear capability.

Again, I am only the messenger here. I have been blasted before when I brought this up because I wasn't a "physics expert." This is just information from interviews I have seen..

p.s. - anyone who thinks that weapons inspections were truly working, is a bit dillusional IMO.

Last edited:
diamond said:
the man died a martyr.

Can we stop this "martyr" crap? This isn't a holy war...or is it?

I've heard that word so much that it makes me physically ill.

Melon

Klaus said:
Dreadsox:

The only reason why i think they worked is: they destroyed the rockets - and if G.W.B. wasn't in such a hurry the UN inspectors would have destroyed more weapons which could have saved lifes!

Klaus

the only time inspections worked is when people defected, ie Saddam's son-in-law. Then people talked freely because they were out of the country. You cannot say they were working if people could not speak to the inspectors without fear of things like this happening.

Dreadsox:

I understand your point and it was defenetly no "full cooperation" from iraq, but my point was "every weapon which was destroyed before the US invasion of iraq was a sucess story because it potentially saved a life"

Of course the inspections just worked because of the presure of the US. It's sad that G.W. didn't take the time to hold this preasure for a longer time to force the regime to dissarm completely. afik Blix made the deal that those people could be interviewed in foreign countries and Iraq agreed that their family can also leave Iraq for this time.

Klaus

Back
Top Bottom