Please read: Posting newspaper articles and editorials.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzingWhizzbees

ONE love, blood, life
Hello FYMers,

Just a couple of quick requests for you all:

1) Over the last few days people have been posting a lot of newspaper articles and editorials. This is fine in that it provides information and can act as a starting point for a discussion. However, the posting of huge blocks of text taken directly from other sites can sometimes mean that other posters contributions are lost in the midst of numerous thousand-word long newspaper articles.

A while ago we had an FYM policy which encouraged people to post a brief quote from newspaper articles (perhaps the introductory paragraph, or one or two sentences you feel are most relevant) together with a link to the article so other posters can choose to read the rest of the article or not. After reading through several threads which are composed primarily of newspaper articles and editorials, it seems that now would be a good time to try reinstituting this policy.

2) Please can everyone try to be a little more selective when quoting posts which you're responding to. If you only want to reply to one or two comments another poster has made then you only need to quote those comments, not the entire post. Again, this just makes the forum easier to read and participate in.

So in summary: If you want to post a newspaper article or editorial, please use the [ quote ] tags to post a paragraph or two of the article and provide a link to the full article. And try to be more selective when quoting a post which you're responding to.

I hope this is okay with everyone. As always, you're all welcome to PM or email me any time if you have any other ideas on how we can make FYM even better. :wink:

Thanks,
*Fizz.

Brief quotes do not always work, especially when you have registered sites or sites like Yahoo, which delete their articles after a few days.

This is an ideal policy perhaps, but it is not always a realistic one.

Melon

yes I only do it when it's a registered site or the article will disappear after a few days

it restricts what we can post but I will comply w/ your order fizzing :wink:

I feel this is a "Discussion" area...not a place to get news.

When people do nothing more than post article after article after article...it gets a bit annoying!

Generate discussion....don't "Just" post news. PLEASE.

zoney! said:
I feel this is a "Discussion" area...not a place to get news.

When people do nothing more than post article after article after article...it gets a bit annoying!

Generate discussion....don't "Just" post news. PLEASE.

I've noticed this too lately. Certain person(s) are just posting random articles that we all are reading on news sites anyway.

Also, I know the other posts are old, but as for posting long quotes, I like how some people have taken to putting in bold text the pieces of the article their thread is referring to. :up:

Back
Top Bottom