Please pray for hurricane victims

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Please pray for all of the people who are getting hit by Hurricane Ivan. In case you don't know this includes yours truly. This is the absolute Storm From Hell. I just hope we don't lose our power, that would screw up the computers at the library and we might even have to close. I don't think the center of the storm is here yet but the storm broke landfall around 2 A. M. I think and we're catching it.

It's good to see you online Verte :hug: I hope it won't get you. I've been praying since last night. I have a friend on another board who lives right off Mobile Bay and I'm worried about her:(

It's 90 miles to the south of Montgomery. Montgomery is two hours south of Birmingham by the Interstate. The winds are slower than they were last night but it's still quite a storm.
*keeping fingers crossed*

Will say prayers for you--we are supposed to get up to 10 inches of rain here in Knoxville, TN, over the next 2-3 days.

It was announced on the news that the County Library Collective is closed. We've been told to stay home. The governor said Alabama has never had a storm like this. President Bush has declared the whole state a disaster area. Ugh. I've just got to sit tight. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

You seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to the weather, at least you don't live in Bangladesh :huh: .

Absolutely terrible thing that happened to everyone involved. However, I am skeptical of this whole 'praying' notion. Can someone please explain it to me? I never understood it myself and it just hit me then that I don't know anything about it. If we truely pray for something, and we are genuine, and it comes true, are we to thank 'God' for his goodness? If it doesn't come true, does that mean 'God' is angry at us? Or is it just a means of last resort when we can do nothing to change an undesirable event that is going to occur? Please explain.
Sorry if this is off topic, I do feel terrible for all those people involved in the hurricane.

Ahem, praying threads designed to express sympathy / hope that nothing bad happens, not question the legitimacy of the act itself. maybe just keep the last 12 words of your post :wink: ?

A_Wanderer said:
Ahem, praying threads designed to express sympathy / hope that nothing bad happens, not question the legitimacy of the act itself. maybe just keep the last 12 words of your post :wink: ?

Lol okay perhaps it wasn't the best place to ask the question of the act. It was to an extent insensitive, but I would really like to understand it if anyone would care to explain it to me.

A_Wanderer said:
You seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to the weather, at least you don't live in Bangladesh :huh: .

Yeah, we've been kind of unlucky this hurricane season. We got hit with Frances just last week. Now we are getting hit with this monster. The wind strength is dying down now that it's inland, and I hope it's not much worse than this at the actual center of the storm. Yikes, this wind is ferocious.

I also have a friend in Mobile Bay and we can't reach him or his family. I'm not going to rest easy until I hear something. I grew up with this guy, I know he's crazy/stubborn enough to try to ride out an evacuation... :mad:

verte I didn't realize you were affected! :( :censored: indeed.

I am thinking of you Verte. My aunt and uncle have a house in Punta Gorda, one of the few that more or less made it through...hope I can pass on some of that family luck to you!:wave:

I've just received word by e-mail from a friend that the hospitals here have implemented a severe weather policy and sent their essential personel home. It's getting worse and worse. We are hard boiling eggs in case we lose our power.

Verte, you're in my thoughts and am sending positive vibes (a hippy word for "prayer" :wink: ) your way. May everyone in affected areas ride the storm out swifty and quickly!

So are you around verte76, is everything alright? :)

We actually got it here a lot worse than I expected, lots of people without power and some roads are closed, etc. I went out in it yesterday to get some batteries for the flashlights and some emergency junk food. While I was stopped at a light, this electric poll (electricity poll? power poll?) started popping and shooting these fiery sparks into the air...and I was stopped right under it. I haven't been that freaked out in a very long time. :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom