Please help: Free Tenzin Delek! (URGENT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Tenzin Delek Rinpoche, a Buddhist monk and teacher, was sentenced to death with a two year suspension that expires on January 26th. He will then face a review by Chinese court that will decide whether he will be executed or his sentence will be changed.

Over the past two years, supporters of Tibet and of justice have spoken out for Tenzin Delek by the thousands. Together, we have catapulted his name into government debate and the media, and made his case a huge public image problem for the Chinese government. When his case is reviewed by the Sichuan Higher People's Court after January 26th, he could be executed, he could be sentenced to life in prison, or he could receive a shorter sentence. If justice were served, he would be released. Please write to the Chinese Minister of Justice and the Director of Justice in Sichuan Province to help make sure that that Tenzin Delek is not executed, and to remind the Chinese authorities that he is an innocent man who should be released immediately.

fellow U2 friends, if you want to help it's very simple - just click on http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/tdrj26/ and fill in a few fields that will process and send an email to the Chinese Minister of Justice - it will take up only 1 minute of your life.

thanks, ewen. :up:

Thanks DaveC,

I fully understand and there's not enough information on that link.

For more information about Tenzin Delek Rinpoche and Tibet please visit www.studentsforafreetibet.org

Thanks,
Ewen

Last edited:
Background on Tenzin Delek RInpoche

In April 2002, the Chinese authorities in Lithang, Eastern Tibet, arrested Tenzin Delek Rinpoche and his distant relative Lobsang Dhondup, a former monk. Both were accused of involvement in bombings and explosions. On December 2nd, 2002, Lobsang Dhondup was sentenced to immediate death, and Tenzin Delek Rinpoche was sentenced to death with a suspension of two years.

Ten other Tibetans were also either arrested or disappeared in connection to the case; at least four remain imprisoned, detained, or missing. It is believed that all these men are being targeted because of their connection to Tenzin Delek Rinpoche. More than 100 people have fled the area because they feared harsh treatment or imprisonment.

According to Human Rights Watch, "For more than 10 years, Tenzin Delek struggled to develop social, medical, educational and religious institutions for the impoverished nomadic Tibetan communities in Sichuan province. He also worked to preserve the area’s fragile ecological balance in the face of unbridled logging and mining activities." Rinpoche was also an advocate of the Dalai Lama's philosophy of nonviolence.

Because of Tenzin Delek RInpoche's influence in his community, and his efforts to preserve Tibetan identity, the Chinese authorities view him as a threat to their control in the region. Over the course of a decade, he was the target of increasing harassment, intimidation, and control by Chinese officials.

The Chinese government did not present credible evidence against Tenzin Delek Rinpoche or any of the Tibetans detained. They were denied access to independent lawyers and did not have a fair trial. Because of massive international outcry about the case, the Chinese authorities assured international governments that Tenzin Delek Rinpoche and Lobsang Dhondup would receive a thorough retrial in China’s Supreme Court. However on January 26, 2003, after a secret retrial in the Provincial Court, Lobsang Dhondup was executed, in the first known execution of a Tibetan for political crimes in 20 years, and Tenzin Delek Rinpoche’s 2-year suspended death sentence was upheld.

To learn more about Tenzin Delek's case, please read the full report by Human Rights Watch, issued in February 2004.

Hope this helps Dave.

Message sent, ewen. Peace out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I admit I didn't know about this. I filled out the form and bookmarked the Students for a Free Tibet web site.

Glad to help a free Tibet.

Thanks for posting, ewen.

And keep us updated. :up:

tenzin-deleg-rinpo.jpg

Tania, please explain your callous, disturbing reaction, "This Stinks" I'd like to point out over 1.2 million Tibetans dies as a direct result of the Chinese Occupation. So unless you took pary in that invasion or are member of the Chinese Communist Party, I fail to understand your motive. Shame on you.

erm... evenbetterthan, perhaps Tania was reffering to the fact that he was going to get executed, as opposed to the petition?

Lets not be too quick to shame.

Ant.

evenbetterthan said:
Tania, please explain your callous, disturbing reaction, "This Stinks" I'd like to point out over 1.2 million Tibetans dies as a direct result of the Chinese Occupation. So unless you took pary in that invasion or are member of the Chinese Communist Party, I fail to understand your motive. Shame on you.

You've misunderstood her. I know Tania (on interference anyway)...she's refering to Tenzin's situation and not that we have a thread about it. So I apologise on her behalf that you got the wrong idea from her posting. She meant the complete opposite....I can guarantee that.

evenbetterthan said:

Sorry, think you must have got the wrong end of the stick.

What I meant was that this situation stinks. No one should be treated in this manner, no matter what their religion, beliefs etc. I totally sympathise with the plight of the Tibetans and look forward to the day when they are no longer under Chinese occupation.

evenbetterthan said:

:eyebrow:
okay.......I dont think she was being callous

lets not have a go at 'evenbetterthan' - his/her comments are understandable as their heart is in the right place; it was just a misunderstanding. hopefully they'll come back and respond and we can all be happy.

thanks folks, on behalf of tenzin, for the support. although his death sentence has been commuted, he's still in prison serving a life sentence for a crime he didn't commit.

ewen said:

thanks folks, on behalf of tenzin, for the support. although his death sentence has been commuted, he's still in prison serving a life sentence for a crime he didn't commit.

And that's what really stinks!!

Back
Top Bottom