Plasma TVs Are A Girl's Best Friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I actually do hate diamonds. They're WAY over-valued, WAY over-priced, totally unoriginal, and for me they kind of represent a lot of things I hate about today's world (people slaving their asses off in sorely underdeveloped countries so that the rest can flash their jewels and not have to think about where they came from).

:D

I'm with you on that!

I want a diamond engagement ring - not saphire or pearl or anything else - a diamond....besides aren't some people slaving thier asses off (whether our country or another) to make some of these wonderful tech gadgets we love such as laptops and digital cameras???? Really don't see having a beautiful engagement ring is flashy - now if you wore a tiara camping then yeah...maybe :D

MsGiggles said:
....besides aren't some people slaving thier asses off (whether our country or another) to make some of these wonderful tech gadgets we love such as laptops and digital cameras????

Good point - we all know about blood diamonds but I was surprised to learn recently that many of the minerals used in e.g. the lab top I'm typing on right now also come from Central Africa and are the cause of as much, if not more, human misery when warlords fight over mining rights.

MsGiggles said:
....besides aren't some people slaving thier asses off (whether our country or another) to make some of these wonderful tech gadgets we love such as laptops and digital cameras???? Really don't see having a beautiful engagement ring is flashy - now if you wore a tiara camping then yeah...maybe :D

I agree, thus the use of the word "represents." That's what comes to mind when I think of diamonds, so they turn me off. Of course if we boycotted everything that was manufactured in some part by the developing world, we'd be left naked and homeless.

I'd take the TV (or spiffy digital camera with related gadgetry:heart:) over a diamond or diamonds anyday. I agree they have become a kind of status symbol and I'm not into that. I've got some diamond jewelry I'm considering selling. I'll take the money and travel. After my divorce I flung my wedding ring off the back of a cruise ship into the Pacific ocean! I guess I'm not into material possessions:reject:

Back
Top Bottom