Plane Crash in Toronto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluRmGrl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Just heard an announcement on my radio... not many details.
Flight from Paris to Toronto.... 200 passengers.... appears to have overshot runway... may be a fire....

Anyone else getting this?

:angel: Prayers for all those on the flight & their families. :(

just read about this on yahoo

there saying a storm in toronto could have caused the problem

best wishes to any one involved

Air France jet crashes at Pearson AirportBy UNNATI GANDHI AND SCOTT DEVEAU

Tuesday, August 2, 2005 Updated at 5:05 PM EDT

Globe and Mail Update

An Air France passenger plane has crashed and burst into flames near Toronto's Highway 401 after skidding off the runway while trying to land.

The pilot and an unknown number of passengers have been taken to hospital, Peel Region police say.

The A340 Airbus plane was landing when it ran off the runway about 4 p.m.," said Sgt. Glyn Griffiths.

"A pilot has gone to hospital; they were picked up on the 401 and a number of other passengers were wandering around the area so we're trying to head them off. I haven't got any information on casualties at all."

The plane was attempting to land on runway 2-4 left at Toronto's Pearson International Airport on Tuesday when it ran into trouble. The number of passengers on board was not immediately available, but an A340 Airbus can hold up to 303 passengers.

story.toronto.crash.jpg

Let's hope for the best. It seems that it was not a terrorist attack.

I'm watiching this on CBC right now. Lots of smoke. Near the 401, so they're actually showing a highway camera right now.

C'est dommage.

Melon

This is horrible! :( I hope they find out what took place. I'd hate to have something like this happen again.

I'm Ready said:
this is great news: there saying everyone survived

That's wonderful. :)

Last edited:
Yes, only 14 minor injuries sustained. Great job Air France crew!! :up:

Apparently some of the crew (including the co-pilot) and passengers made it to the 401 and hitchiked to hospitals!

I just spoke with my boyfriend who's a few miles from the airport and he said there was a thunder and lightning storm at the time of the crash so perhaps it was indeed lightning...

The storm was incredible at that time. I live near the airport in the west end, we have flooding and trees down all over the place.

They closed the 401 West almost immediately which made for an interesting drive home for me.

Considering how badly it looked, the outcome really is a miracle. :up:

Geez, working a 2nd job SUX!!! :angry: I start a thread or make a post in one where I'm really anxious for a reply, then I have to wait 3-4 hrs 'til I can get home & get back on a computer. Damn financial responsibilities.... :madspit: :rant:

And to the matter at hand: I'm thrilled everyone got out alive. :up: Proof positive that prayer works! :yes:

Last edited:
I am absolutely AMAZED that everyone survived. The Air France crew (pilots AND ESPECIALLY the flight attendants) should be commended.

I have been through quite a bit of training in the last year concerning incidents like this. The media (I was watching CNN at work) did EXACTLY what every piece of training said they would do: Speculate without any true knowledge.

At first they said it was a 737. Then they said it was Lufthansa. Then they speculated on (and described numerous similar incidents) involving windshear. Then they speculated all the doom and gloom as the plane exploded.

It was obvious to me that the guy CNN had speculating has pretty limited knowledge of airplanes and airlines. It was sad knowing that potential family members could be watching them...buying into EVERYTHING they said.

Lightning should not affect braking action on an aircraft, especially one that as technically advanced as the A-340. The investigation should be interesting.

Again, hats off to the Air France crew who evacuated 309 souls off of the aircraft. I am SO amazed.

They interviewed a pilot from Montreal last night on CBC and he said at the moment the plane landed the wind suddenly shifted from being a light head-wind to a very strong tail wind and that may have propelled the plane forward. He said that when the pilot hit the runway he landed sort of in the middle of it instead of way at the end. That did not allow him enough time to stop the plane before it ran out of runway.

The pilot being interviewed basically sounded like it was a freak accident. He said that if the plane had landed just 2 or 3 mins later that he would bet his career on the fact that the airport would have switched runways in order to make planes land into the wind not with it.

I'm so relieved ! :happy:

An Air France pilot was being interviewed earlier on the French TV and he said that it wasn't a miracle, it was the result of a good crew and people who acted calmly and carefully.

No doubt the crew's efforts saved lives. They indicated the cause may have been loss of traction on the runway or microburst.

This is strange but .....according to today's newspaper....
"Ironically, the Toronto accident occurred 20 years to the day that a microburst downed a Delta Airlines jumbo jet as it approached Dallas-Ft Worth Int'l. Airport, killing 137 people.

:|

if there has to be plane crashes, it's too bad they all couldn't be this way--no deaths and no serious injuries.

:up:

i agree, the flight crew definitely deserve some kind of official recognition for their quick reaction in getting everyone to safety. i heard that they evacuated all 300 people on board in about a minute and a half. truly astounding.

They say you only have 90 seconds before it's too late to get out.

Those flight attendants did an amazing job.

It must have been terrifying for all of those people, I never thought they'd all survive.

I read an interview with several of the passengers who basically said the flight attendants did nothing to help and left the passengers to fend for themselves. They said the evacuation was chaotic and people were knocking each other down and climbing over seats. One even said a flight attendant blocked an exit door. They were also complaining about not being treated well once they made it back to the airport.

I can't second guess anyone who was there or begin to understand the emotions they felt afterward but I find it very hard to believe they all got out alive with no help from the flight attendants. Getting 300 people out of a burning plane in less than 90 seconds is an amazing feat :up:

Planes are required by US and European regulations to be able to evacuate (did I spell that correctly?) within 90 seconds.

How often do people listen to Flight Attendants (FAs). FAs are trained to yell instructions to help evacuate the aircraft. They may block a door if there is a fire or other danger outside the door...you wouldn't want to exit into MORE danger!

As for the post-crash survivor area: I wonder what "not being treated nicely" means. The airline usually needs to verify passengers to make sure they know who is accounted for. And then there is the whole customs thing in a situation like this.

The passengers will be compensated very well for their troubles.

Many people do not realize this, but if you are injured, or if a family member of yours is killed in a crash, the Federal government requires airlines to cover things such as travel, funeral services, etc. for families.

I hope to NEVER use this skill I have been trained in.

Back
Top Bottom