Pink Arches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Check out the comments too

http://onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id=74691

Jeff Johnson - OneNewsNow - 4/4/2008 12:00:00 PM

All it takes is the smell of those fries, the taste of a Happy Meal, or the sight of the Golden Arches to know that you've arrived at McDonald's. But the founder of the American Family Association says the restaurant chain has turned its attention away from inexpensive food and toward a potentially costly political agenda.

With 30,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries, you can get your chicken McNuggets fix just about anywhere. Rev. Don Wildmon, founder and chairman of the American Family Association, says McDonald's' success can be attributed to their choice to market to one American institution.

"McDonald's caters to the family," Wildmon says. "They put emphasis on the children."

But the pro-family leader says the world's largest fast-food restaurant chain is branching out into a new business -- promoting the homosexual agenda.

"McDonald's ... has given a significant amount of money, I might mention, to become a member of the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce," Wildmon explains. "Among the many other things that the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce promotes is hate crimes [legislation], the ENDA [Employment Non-Discrimination Act]. They're dedicated to pushing the homosexual agenda."

In exchange for the donation, a McDonald's senior executive has been placed on the board of the pro-homosexual group. Wildmon says the chain's decision is baffling. "And this is so strange, because it's the family that McDonald's appeals to -- children's playland, you know, all the little toys, all of that," Wildmon shares. "And they are promoting a lifestyle that would utterly destroy the traditional family."

The American Family Association wants to talk with McDonald's, but the company is not returning Wildmon's calls. In the meantime, he says the group is not calling for a boycott. But he is encouraging McDonald's' customers to take action (see AFA's Action Alert).

"If a person really wants to make an impact," Wildmon encourages, "call your local McDonald's and say, 'As long as you are members of the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, I'm going to have to seriously consider whether or not I'm going to continue to come to your restaurant and bring my family to your restaurant.'"

080404.jpg

So McDonalds isn't just supporting human rights with this, but it's also keeping the fundies out of a place where food is served? :hyper:

I call "bullshit" here. Time and time again, these anti-gay fundamentalist Christian boycotts flop tremendously. That "poll" means absolutely nothing at all coming from them, because, like any good propagandist, they always make sure to surround themselves only with supporters.

I don't give a shit what these hatemongers think anymore than I care what the KKK thinks about blacks and Jews.

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen "And this is so strange, because it's the family that McDonald's appeals to -- children's playland, you know, all the little toys, all of that," Wildmon shares. "And they are promoting a lifestyle that would utterly destroy the traditional family." [/B]

damn, they found me out.

but then again, if your idea of a family is to structure it's creation in such a way as to preserve certain ideas about patriarchy and divine authority, i suppose i do support the destruction of that in favor of a model of equality not just in terms of access to the institution for all people, but within the very institution itself.

perhaps the fundamentalist mindset is freaked out by two men marrying in the same way that many are freaked out when they think about two men having sex. "but, but, who's the woman?"

i suppose the lack of structural superiority in a gay relationship is threatening. it kind of unmasks this particular God as rather petty, verbally abusive and quite judgmental.

Back
Top Bottom