Pick the VP Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeannieco said:
Obama/GORE !!! Ya, it's a stretch, just speculating, but it makes sense.

Gore didn't want to fight the Clinton's for the nom. and he will have 8 yrs in the WH to work his global warming agenda and then take the reins after Obama. It's perfect!
16 yrs of dems in the WH!

have you woken up yet or are you still in REM sleep?

Jeannieco said:

16 yrs of dems in the WH!

:no:

Obama wouldnt pick Gore. Isn't he trying to break free of the Clinton/Bush legacies, which Gore is a part of? Obama would lose all his credibility about being a candidate of "change" or "the future" or whatever it is he says.

Is there still hubbub from certain quarters about assassination fears for Obama?

Maybe Obama should go with Clinton as VP - surely the same people who would want to assassinate Obama are the same people who would rather eat their own feet than see Clinton as president.

Knowing Clinton would take over as president would surely give them pause in their plans.

corianderstem said:
Is there still hubbub from certain quarters about assassination fears for Obama?

Maybe Obama should go with Clinton as VP - surely the same people who would want to assassinate Obama are the same people who would rather eat their own feet than see Clinton as president.

Knowing Clinton would take over as president would surely give them pause in their plans.
Geez....That is an awful premise
I see what you are saying, but I don't think the Obama camp will select vp based on the likelihood of his dimise. Ya, let's put our arch-rival in the VP slot just to piss off the pyschos out there in case you murder me. Nevermind what the majority of the American people feel. wth??

She is the last one I would pick to be on the ticket with him, and I am not the only Barack supporter that feels that way.
She is tearing this party apart with her negative garbage...
Dividing and poloarzing long time dems like me... and lot's of other own party. This not a unified way to make friends and supporters.

corianderstem said:
people who would rather eat their own feet

I got nuttin' to add to the thread, but damn, what a great line! :lmao: :love:

Jeannieco said:
Geez....That is an awful premise
I see what you are saying, but I don't think the Obama camp will select vp based on the likelihood of his dimise.

My post wasn't a serious suggestion.

deep said:
The absolute best thing for Obama

would be for him to pick Hillary to be on the ticket

with him

him as VP

and Hillary as the Presidential candidate

it would also be the best for the Dems
and the hardest ticket for McCain / Hutchinson? to beat.

So you're supporting Obama, deep?

Irvine511 said:
Condi has intellectual heft, but close to zero political talents and, more importantly, ambition.

i don't think she has any desire at all to run for public office. seems she'd be much happier back in Palo Alto, writing books, teaching, and playing the piano.

Condi would probably rather teach. God knows teaching would be easier than being President.

verte76 said:
Yeah, and it will be a white one.

I do think you are right

McCain is seen as "progressive" enough for the GOP ticket

the pick should balance him out
without completely alienating potential "swing" voters

verte76 said:

So you're supporting Obama, deep?

I have said I don't have a candidate

I have said I expect to vote for the Dem candidate in November

but, I guess things could change,
I can't say they will

in the post above
if you read it carefully

I was suggesting that;

1. Obama is in the driver's seat

2. the best thing for him would be to let Hillary get the nom
and take the VP slot.

Last edited:
All hail Slick Mitt

By Scot Lehigh
Boston Globe Columnist / March 14, 2008

With apologies to William Shakespeare, levity is the role of Mitt.

One simply can't help being amused watching our ever-evolving erstwhile governor make his maneuvers.

Having recently spent weeks criticizing John McCain as a counterfeit conservative, Romney has now let it be known that he would be honored to run as his vice-presidential nominee.

That notion has gotten some lift from conservative pundits Robert Novak and Fred Barnes. Why, you might say there's a Mitt-for-second-banana boomlet beginning.

Now, this space poked occasional fun at Romney during his presidential campaign, somewhat to the annoyance of his supporters, who chided me for twitting him. After all, I might have ended up having to call him . . . Mittster President. That peril has now passed.

And yet, I have to admit that Romney would bring valuable assets to the GOP ticket as McCain's number two.

Like, say:

A handsome head of hair, fairly glistening with styling product.

Imaginative, outside-the-box - heck, outside-the-car - solutions to the pressing problem of long-distance canine transport.

A vast wardrobe of expensive suits, all conveniently empty.

A proven ability to pander, particularly to Michiganders.

A spacious Belmont home where McCain could stay if bad weather grounded his plane at Logan, and where he might well have a chance to study illegal immigration first-hand. Plus vacation homes in New Hampshire and Utah where Romney could impart some varmint hunting tips.

And, of course, a photogenic brood boasting teeth that are positively Kennedyesque.

What's more, if McCain's long years as a POW are a testament to fortitude and courage, Mitt has made his own impressive sacrifice for his country: He forfeited a promising future to protect us from terrorism.

What do I mean?

Well, recall what Romney said in his concession speech last month. If he battled McCain all the way to the Republican convention, "I'd forestall the launch of a national campaign and . . . I'd make it easier for Senator Clinton or Obama to win. Frankly, in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."

When was the last time we saw that kind of selfless sentiment? By my reckoning, you have to journey all the way back to Nathan Hale, who, moments before being hanged by the British for spying, spoke words that ring almost as nobly as Mitt's: "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."

There are, however, a few obstacles standing in the way of a McCain-Romney team.

One is that, as he noted in the same concession speech, Romney disagrees with the Arizonan on any number of issues.

For any other VP hopeful, that could prove tricky. But knowing Slick Willard the way I do, I'm confident he could parse and pirouette his way free of any problems. Why, I can almost hear him now: "I may have said that I hoped to double Guantanamo, but that was always contingent on obtaining the proper building permits."

Or perhaps: "Holy moly, you thought I said I opposed cap-and-trade on greenhouse gases? What I meant to say was that I'm against cap-gun raids on schoolhouse classes. You see, as an NRA member, I firmly believe that students have Second Amendment rights."

Still, there is one problem I'm not sure can be overcome: McCain himself.

Queried during his Wednesday stop in New Hampshire about whether Romney would make his short list for VP, the GOP's nominee-to-be looked, to my skeptical eye, as wary as he might have been had a Granite State trapper presented him with a skunk and asked if he would like to have it for a house pet.

"I just started the process, and we haven't compiled a list yet," said McCain, before offering some polite praise of Romney.

When a second reporter asked whether he would at least consider Romney, McCain praised his former rival again, calling him "a fine man" who had made an "enormous contribution" - but pointedly refused to go any further.

"I can't make a definitive statement because we haven't started the process yet," he said. "We don't have a list. As I said, I think he's earned himself a very big role to play in the Republican Party in our future."

The bet here is that what McCain really meant was this: the distant future.

Could be a good pick for McCain

with the economy in the condition it is.

chairman of Securities and Exchange Commission.

dpt-cox032008_thumb.jpg

Will Newport Beach soon be known as the home base of Vice President Christopher Cox?

That’s the question on some people’s minds this week as syndicated columnist Robert D. Novak, in an article Monday, said a number of conservative members of Congress are pushing for the former Newport Beach congressman as a running mate for Republican presidential candidate John McCain this year.

Novak didn’t specify which members of Congress are backing Cox for the vice presidential slot, but said his supporters favor him for his “stature in the conservative movement.” Cox, who served as a congressman for 16 years before stepping down in 2005, is now the chairman of President Bush’s Securities and Exchange Commission.

Back
Top Bottom