Photo Essay from NY Times on Burial of Soldiers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/30/u...600&en=430085ff772a7512&ei=5065&partner=MYWAY

Burials at Arlington National Cemetery took on a grim regularity in October, when at least 103 American troops were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. In Iraq, the toll had reached 99 by Saturday, making October the deadliest month since January 2005.

Photo Essay
A Mournful Month Military officials attributed the high number of deaths to a spike in violence during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which began in late September and ended last week. They also pointed to a three-month campaign to win control of Baghdad from death squads that led to increased attacks on American troops.

But such explanations were little comfort to a 6-year-old girl weeping at the grave of her father, a mother clutching the flag from her son’s coffin, or a widow walking slowly through the rain behind her husband’s honor guard.
30funeral_horse.jpg

30funeral_casket.jpg

30funeral_girlcrying.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Devastatingly sad...

As most of you know, I'm an Infantry Officer the National Guard. My time overseas is coming. I am prepared to offer my life (otherwise I wouldn’t join). But the thought of my wife and kids having to attend my funeral absolutely crushes my heart. The picture of the mom (I’m guessing) and of the daughter is simply heart wrenching.

I am so torn when I see this. Duty to country and duty to family are tough things to balance in one’s mind.

AEON said:
Devastatingly sad...

As most of you know, I'm an Infantry Officer the National Guard. My time overseas is coming. I am prepared to offer my life (otherwise I wouldn’t join). But the thought of my wife and kids having to attend my funeral absolutely crushes my heart. The picture of the mom (I’m guessing) and of the daughter is simply heart wrenching.

I am so torn when I see this. Duty to country and duty to family are tough things to balance in one’s mind.

as a 51 year old tax paying American

you would have my support if you chose not to go

having you die in Iraq
will not make America any safer

deep said:

as a 51 year old tax paying American

you would have my support if you chose not to go

having you die in Iraq
will not make America any safer

I appreciate the support. I don't know what to think about Iraq these days.

Unfortunately, I think the entire world economy would be thrown into a chaos if this region gets completely out of control. It no longer matters how or why this war started - the only thing that matters is finding some sort of solution. Pulling out is a crap option. Staying there is a crap option. I see no good options...

My wife is having a hard time with all of this. The kids are too young to really know what's going on, especially my 16 month old. I understand why my wife suffers, and so many other wives and husbands and sone and daughters...

The Iraqi people are suffering as well.

Back
Top Bottom