Perry (R) still the Governor of Texas...I QUIT!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allegra

Refugee
The stars at night are big and bright *clap, clap,
Well, it looks like another four more years of Rick "The Dick" Perry (Rep.) to remain in office as Governor here in Texas. Yeah, he might have won by the popular vote by 40%, but that means 60% of the people hate his ass which is good. The only problem is that's what happens when you get three other people running against him that could be combined to kick his ass out. Bell (Dem) got about 30%, Grandma (Ind) got 18%, and Kinky (Ind) about 12%.

Anyway, here's my shit list about Perry...

He was given $200,000 from TXU (Utilities) to keep coal electrofied plants running and expanding.

He lets huge businesses have huge tax cuts...basically money that could go to the local school district.

He hides lottery money that is suppose to go to education.

He only wants to give teachers a $2,000 pay raise.

He promised $1000 for teachers to help with health care, but he took it back.

He was the only person running that supported the stupid TAKS test (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills).

He only wants to make teachers responsible for their students for passing the test and school...not the principals, not the administration, not the parents, and not the students.

...I could go on and on, but it just makes me sick to my stomach...

I cannot believe how many stupid idiots there are in this state to vote for him. Yeah! That's right! You heard me! If you voted for him, YOU ARE STUPID!!!!!!!

Why do you think that both teacher unions didn't even support Perry? Huh? Hmmm? ...........DUH!!!!! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!!!!

If you voted for Perry, you are against teachers, so that makes you my enemy!

So therefore...AS OF TONIGHT I QUIT TEACHING UNTIL THE DAY RICK "THE DICK" PERRY DIES OR IS FINALLY OUT OF OFFICE.

I just told my husband this and he totally agrees. I will stay home with the baby or I'll get a regular job, but I ain't going to work for the state of Texas as a teacher ever again as long as he's in office!

I'm a certified Secondary Math teacher, and all I can say is that this state has lost another good teacher.

Adios!!!!!

Allegra, you need to build a wall between your political views and your career path. Life goes on.. for you and the children you educate.

BTW, I'm a conservative that happens to be very pro- Public Ed., so the (R) does not automatically mean "enemy".

Clark W. Griswold said:
Allegra, you need to build a wall between your political views and your career path. Life goes on.. for you and the children you educate.

BTW, I'm a conservative that happens to be very pro- Public Ed., so the (R) does not automatically mean "enemy".

I never said that....

I said if you voted for Perry, then you are my enemy.

Oh and about that wall...that ain't gonna happen. The people who voted for Perry will only listen if all teachers step down. I could care less if he was a Republican, he just happens to be one. The "Grandma" [ex-comptroller] that was running as an Independent was an ex-Republican, was backed by both teacher unions, and left the party because she couldn't stand Perry and his bullshit any longer. So the only thing that us teachers in this state can do in order to make a point is by stepping down. I know the kids get hurt in the end, but if that's the only way that we get heard, then so be it!!!

Also, I never said I'd quit being a teacher. I said I'll never work for the State of Texas. I'll teach privately.

Allegra said:

I know the kids get hurt in the end, but if that's the only way that we get heard, then so be it!!!

Not cool. I sincerely hope these are not your true feelings.

Allegra said:

Also, I never said I'd quit being a teacher. I said I'll never work for the State of Texas. I'll teach privately.

But at the end of the day is the state of Texas REALLY who you work FOR?

I would think that students in private schools are less in need of passionate teachers than kids in the public system.

Good luck either way, I just don't think that living life according to election results is the way to go.

Basically, I'm on strike. You know, like those teachers in the Northeast that wouldn't go back to the classroom until their demands were met. There have been teacher strikes where kids didn't have school for six weeks. Those teachers stood up and said they weren't taking the bullshit any longer. That's what I'm doing, but I'm doing it alone. But from what I'm hearing, there are a lot of teachers that are quitting in this state, like me, and going to the private sector whether that be teaching or simply getting a desk job.

Private institutions are not bound by this state. They don't have to give the TAKS test. They can basically do whatever they want as far as curriculum and testing are concerned. They don't have to worry about outdated textbooks. The state can only control a private institution for health reasons and the safety of the children in the institution.

And for your info, I've been teaching under Perry since Bush left early to become President. Things were OK until the last two years. The teachers here have put up with things that Perry's done or not done. It's been building up. Last year for me was the straw that broke the camel's back. And again, I'm not the only teacher that feels this way.

This has nothing to do with an election or a particular party. I would be happy to go back if Grandma won it, and she's an ex-Republican. She was his right hand woman. Even she hates him because she could get nothing done as his comptroller. That's why she quit and left the party to try and run against him.

This whole thing is about one man that just happened to win a election, a man that will continue his bullshit, and who will not go away.

Would you work at a job with a boss like this and stay there while you are continuously being beat down? No, you'd quit and find something else better.

Why do I have to work for him? This is a free country you know.

I couldn't decide who to vote for..Chris Bell and Kinky were absolute NOs for me, so when it came down to Carole and Rick, I voted neither. I voted for the official write-in.

I'm with 80's, they all sucked. Kinky would have been fun to watch, and I wasn't sure exactly where Bell stood...but the worst one did win.

The joys of living in TX.:|

Sorry to hear this, Allegra. It's been my continuing observation that teachers in much of this country never get the respect and compensation they deserve. It seems like they are always the ones being blamed, when really it's the government's, parent's, and administration's fault the school systems are the way they are.

Hopefully you can find something more gratifying in the private sector, although if the places I am familiar with are any indication, the pay will not compare. My most qualified high school teachers were paid about $24K/year and this was the best high school in the area. But, none seemed to care and there was relatively little turnaround. I guess given more freedom and support, they're able to make the most of it and enjoy teaching for teaching.

BTW, your baby is a darling!

Let me ask you this....will the Teacher's Union be on Stike, or is this your personal "campaign?"

I am sure your Union contract states you cannot just "strike" the school board because Perry got elected. The teachers that went out on strike in the northeast reached a a point in negotiations on a new contract that allowed them to strike. I am pretty sure if you declare you are on strike....you will be FIRED!

Instead of taking your anger out on the children (who may be further lost with this re-election), why not take the high road and be a champion of the children?

In my opinion (and I have read this both in your journal AND here in FYM), your anger is misdirected.

Allegra said:
but I ain't going to work

:yikes:

Gotta love any politician who agrees with these sorts of attitudes
"If you live your life and don't confess your sins to God almighty through the authority of Christ and his blood, I'm going to say this very plainly, you're going straight to hell with a nonstop ticket,"

Liesje said:
Sorry to hear this, Allegra. It's been my continuing observation that teachers in much of this country never get the respect and compensation they deserve. It seems like they are always the ones being blamed, when really it's the government's, parent's, and administration's fault the school systems are the way they are.

Hopefully you can find something more gratifying in the private sector, although if the places I am familiar with are any indication, the pay will not compare. My most qualified high school teachers were paid about $24K/year and this was the best high school in the area. But, none seemed to care and there was relatively little turnaround. I guess given more freedom and support, they're able to make the most of it and enjoy teaching for teaching.

BTW, your baby is a darling!

Thanks! Glad you like the pics!

And it's nice to see a few people in here understand what I'm talking about and where I'm coming from.

zoney! said:
Let me ask you this....will the Teacher's Union be on Stike, or is this your personal "campaign?"

I am sure your Union contract states you cannot just "strike" the school board because Perry got elected. The teachers that went out on strike in the northeast reached a a point in negotiations on a new contract that allowed them to strike. I am pretty sure if you declare you are on strike....you will be FIRED!

Instead of taking your anger out on the children (who may be further lost with this re-election), why not take the high road and be a champion of the children?

In my opinion (and I have read this both in your journal AND here in FYM), your anger is misdirected.

:yikes:

It just so happens that I have a new born baby, and my hubby and I thought it would be best for me to stay home for a year or two. So right now I'm not even in the school house. So you don't have to worry about that. It doesn't matter anyway. Before I knew I was pregnant, I knew I was going to quit teaching for a while. My contract ended with last year's school year so I planned to move on to greener pastures. This election helped me to decide not to jump back into teaching right away because I didn't want to put myself back into the same situation that I just got out of.

Allegra said:

It just so happens that I have a new born baby, and my hubby and I thought it would be best for me to stay home for a year or two. So right now I'm not even in the school house. So you don't have to worry about that. It doesn't matter anyway. Before I knew I was pregnant, I knew I was going to quit teaching for a while. My contract ended with last year's school year so I planned to move on to greener pastures. This election helped me to decide not to jump back into teaching right away because I didn't want to put myself back into the same situation that I just got out of.

And you would think zoney would know that since he seems to have an obsessive interest in all your postings and journal entries.... :wink:

Allegra said:

So, basically....this isn't really a "strike" - you are not "walking off the job' - you have already made this decision? Okay. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom