Peace Wreath-Symbol Of Satan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Boy oh boy :rolleyes: And displaying a peace wreath means you don't support the troops? And if you can't distinguish the peace sign from a satanic symbol, well to put it nicely you might need glasses.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/27/peace.wreath.ap/index.html

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A homeowners' association in southwestern Colorado has threatened to fine a resident $25 a day until she removes a Christmas wreath with a peace sign that some say is an anti-Iraq war protest or a symbol of Satan.

Some residents who have complained have children serving in Iraq, said Bob Kearns, president of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association in Pagosa Springs.

He said some residents believed the wreath was a symbol of Satan. Three or four residents complained, he said.

"Somebody could put up signs that say drop bombs on Iraq. If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," he said in a telephone interview Sunday.

Lisa Jensen said she wasn't thinking of the war when she hung the wreath. She said, "Peace is way bigger than not being at war. This is a spiritual thing."

Jensen, a past association president, calculates the fines will cost her about $1,000, and doubts they will be able to make her pay. But she said she's not going to take it down until after Christmas.

"Now that it has come to this I feel I can't get bullied," she said. "What if they don't like my Santa Claus?"

The association in this 200-home subdivision 270 miles southwest of Denver has sent a letter to her saying that residents were offended by the sign and the board "will not allow signs, flags etc. that can be considered divisive."

The subdivision's rules say no signs, billboards or advertising are permitted without the consent of the architectural control committee.

Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything.

Kearns fired all five committee members.

story.peace.wreath.ap.jpg

Geesh, have people forgotten to speak with each other? How comes every time you see something you don't supoport you go to the authorities to make this being removed or be fined?

Why can't they just ask her why she put that wreath up? Then she could explain.
But, no, they immediately go to the president of the association to force him take action and put a fine on this very well known peace sign.

Why can't people just tolerate other's opinion anymore, or like said before, jst speak about it?

MrsSpringsteen said:
Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything.

That's kind of sad too, isn't it? This whole thing is insane. The angels themselves said, "Peace on earth."

I think they were saying that it wasn't saying anything political or as they put it, "divisive"

Homeowners associations are the real Satanic things

I'm so sick and tired of these fucking stupid, psedo-christian, war loving, wouldn't know an intellectual thought if it hit them in their face whiny little bastards.:|

Apparently now Jesus is the 'Prince of poorly planned unilateral attacks'.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Homeowners associations are the real Satanic things
Now THERE'S a statement full of wisdom. :macdevil:

And since when in the Hell (no pun intended) has the peace sign been a symbol of feckin' Satan!??!?!? :confused: I thought the holiday season was supposed to be all about peace on Earth... seems to me a very seasonal display. :up:

The whole thing's pathetic, really. :(

Last edited:
deep in HELL said:
yes
this is how it is done
a broken, upside down cross :yes:
this is the secret symbol
I thought you were joking--but now having Googled around a bit, I see this is in fact exactly what some people think.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm so sick and tired of these fucking stupid, psedo-christian, war loving, wouldn't know an intellectual thought if it hit them in their face whiny little bastards.:|

Apparently now Jesus is the 'Prince of poorly planned unilateral attacks'.

Right on.

Oh, and by the way, :macdevil:

It's only a few weird individuals who think it is a symbol of Satan, not really fair to extrapolate from that to generalizations about God or religion or all religious people.

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A subdivision has withdrawn its threat of $25 daily fines against a homeowner who put a Christmas wreath shaped like a peace sign on the front of her home.

Homeowner Lisa Jensen told The Associated Press on Monday that the board of directors of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association had apologized, called the incident a misunderstanding and had withdrawn its request for the wreath's removal.

Jensen was ordered to take the wreath down when some residents in her 200-home subdivision saw it as a protest of the Iraq war. Bob Kearns, president of the board, also said some saw it as a symbol of Satan.

The homeowners' association demanded Jensen remove the wreath from her house, saying it doesn't allow flags or signs that are considered divisive.

None of the three members of the board in the scenic town 270 miles southwest of Denver was available for comment late Monday. Kearns and colleague Jeff Heitz both had their phone numbers changed to unlisted numbers Monday. Tammy Spezze, the third board member, did not return a call seeking comment.

Jensen, a past association president, said she was overwhelmed with hundreds of calls of support and offers to help her pay the $1,000 fine that would be due if she kept the wreath up until after Christmas.

"We would like to thank everyone who has contacted us with moral support and offers of financial support. We are grateful to hundreds of complete strangers who felt so moved by this story they contacted us," she said.

"It seems whenever someone tries to say 'Peace on Earth' it is met with so much resistance," she said. "The incredible amount of support we have received over the last couple of days really is proof to us of how many people believe in peace and in our right to say it."

Last edited:
Suddenly they can apologize and it was a misunderstanding.

If the five board members get back their job?

Homeowners Associations:madspit:

My wife had just survived chemotherapy when she moved with our twins from LA to San Antonio (I was finishing Voiceover Acting classes before re joining them a few months later.)

She went through this creative phase where she was painting a mural on one of our walls and decorating the yard with an ethnic flavor. The Homeowners Association jumped all over her. Two neighbors argued with her on our front lawn essentially telling her to cease and desist with working outside and to remove the artwork. They claimed that it was because the picture she painted on our home had a Mormon theme and that the plants on the front yard garden were too ethnic ("Why do you have to call attention to yourself declaring to the whole world "I AM MEXICAN, I AM MEXICAN"...She is from Nicaragua). It is worth noting that the mural she painted is behind vegetation one would have to be leaning in pretty intimately to get close enough to be offended.

I was with the family again by this time and went to the meeting held at the Presbyterian Church with a tape recorder. The leader of the meeting stopped the proceedings, asking who I was and tried to tell me that I had to turn off the recorder. I identified myself as the husband of the woman with the hideous ethnic and religious agenda and that there was no need to fear a recording since the proceedings of the meeting were completely in the right. They asked me why I "allowed" my wife to do these things while I was gone.

In the weeks that followed cars kept driving up and down the street slowing down in front of our house with fingers pointing and jaws flapping.

But something interesting followed. Soon bus drivers, mail carriers, and other neighbors caught wind of what was going on and were taking our side, even saying that the artwork was beautiful and to keep it up. Some neighbors pointed out that this homeowners association has been throwing its weight around with folks for some time now and that it was refreshing to see someone not allow themselves to be bullied.

Homeowners Associations. I am sure that there are some decent ones out there. But from personal experience I am not a fan.

dietcokeofevil said:
They claimed that it was because the picture she painted on our home had a Mormon theme and that the plants on the front yard garden were too ethnic

What made it a mormon theme?:huh:

And ethnic plants?

What a bunch of morons!!!

So, what exactly are homeowners associations and why can they, or their members, tell other people what they should have to do with their homes and what they shouldn't?

I think people really don't become more tolerant, but more intolerant again.

And these fundamental Christians are having their big share in making the world less tolerant again, together with the fundamental muslims.

dietcokeofevil said:
Homeowners Associations:madspit:

My wife had just survived chemotherapy when she moved with our twins from LA to San Antonio (I was finishing Voiceover Acting classes before re joining them a few months later.)

She went through this creative phase where she was painting a mural on one of our walls and decorating the yard with an ethnic flavor. The Homeowners Association jumped all over her. Two neighbors argued with her on our front lawn essentially telling her to cease and desist with working outside and to remove the artwork. They claimed that it was because the picture she painted on our home had a Mormon theme and that the plants on the front yard garden were too ethnic ("Why do you have to call attention to yourself declaring to the whole world "I AM MEXICAN, I AM MEXICAN"...She is from Nicaragua). It is worth noting that the mural she painted is behind vegetation one would have to be leaning in pretty intimately to get close enough to be offended.

I was with the family again by this time and went to the meeting held at the Presbyterian Church with a tape recorder. The leader of the meeting stopped the proceedings, asking who I was and tried to tell me that I had to turn off the recorder. I identified myself as the husband of the woman with the hideous ethnic and religious agenda and that there was no need to fear a recording since the proceedings of the meeting were completely in the right. They asked me why I "allowed" my wife to do these things while I was gone.

In the weeks that followed cars kept driving up and down the street slowing down in front of our house with fingers pointing and jaws flapping.

But something interesting followed. Soon bus drivers, mail carriers, and other neighbors caught wind of what was going on and were taking our side, even saying that the artwork was beautiful and to keep it up. Some neighbors pointed out that this homeowners association has been throwing its weight around with folks for some time now and that it was refreshing to see someone not allow themselves to be bullied.

Homeowners Associations. I am sure that there are some decent ones out there. But from personal experience I am not a fan.

That's horrendous. I hope your wife has recovered from the cancer, too.
I dont know what these Housing things are; there's been threads in here before on them and I was informed 'if you dont like them you dont move into one.' And while that is all well and good, it still makes bugger all difference to anyone else having rights to dictate what happens in and to your own home. I live in a covenence restricted suburb, but it's realistic limitations - essentially to things which might prove dangerous or hazardous.

It looks as if Robert Kearns will live in Wikipedia infamy. :D :evil: click here

I guess I'm a bumpkin, but I was shocked when I first heard of homeowners associations (it was in the 80s). Until just last year I lived in a rural area with minimal rules and yeah there were places with a lot of "character" but so what? They weren't hurting anyone and some were mighty interesting. I certainly won't wax rhapsodic about how open-minded and tolerant the people in the area were (cause they weren't particularly) but the cookie cutter sameness of so many housing developments is to me far more tacky than many of the things frequently prohibited by homeowners associations.

I can believe there are people who would want to form them (there are always nasty little people who want to control everyone else), but I still can't believe there are people who would want to live live in communities with them. Does it really take much imagination to see the potential for stupid and incredibly restrictive rules? Maybe they are just so ubiquitous it's almost impossible not to be under one's jurisdiction, but it seems awful so many people are so blase about giving up yet another freedom.

indra said:
I can believe there are people who would want to form them (there are always nasty little people who want to control everyone else), but I still can't believe there are people who would want to live live in communities with them. Does it really take much imagination to see the potential for stupid and incredibly restrictive rules? Maybe they are just so ubiquitous it's almost impossible not to be under one's jurisdiction, but it seems awful so many people are so blase about giving up yet another freedom.

Haven't seen Arcadia?? The HOAs have a monster they need to keep happy, or it will feed on the blood of the residents.

As much as I believe HOA's are agents of Satan, I will admit there are times when they serve a valid purpose. Preventing folks from doing stuff like parking crap vehicles or boats on their drives, making sure no one gets too lazy with their landscaping - that kind of thing I appreciate. But we have stupid shit that goes on with our HOA like one homeowner whining to the board that a particular neighbor is parking on the street overnight after he (the whiner) got busted for having a broken-down boat parked in front of his house for about 2 weeks.

True, the neighbor in question WAS parking his work van on the street overnight - as were several other neighbors. They do it to keep the college kids who live in nearby apartments from driving too fast down the street. But was everyone fined by the HOA board??? Nope, just the one neighbor that whiny ass complained about. :mad:

Dammit, #1) if you're going to enforce a rule, enforce it with everyone. And #2) cars parked on the street overnight force passing traffic to slow down some, which is a good thing. Granted, the speeders could hit a car in the street easier than one in a driveway, but I'd rather have them hit my car than lose control of their vehicle at 3 am in the morning & come crashing into my house. Which is exactly what happened to a family about 5 doors down from us a few months ago.... I'm sure he'd have been happier with a busted up car than his garage & den torn all to Hell. (Luckily, everyone was upstairs asleep & didn't get hurt. Even the drunk little 16yr old punk that caused the damage. :grumpy: )

:endrant:

Last edited:
BluRmGrl said:
As much as I believe HOA's are agents of Satan, I will admit there are times when they serve a valid purpose. Preventing folks from doing stuff like parking crap vehicles or boats on their drives, making sure no one gets too lazy with their landscaping - that kind of thing I appreciate.

:uhoh:

Oh. Those are things I don't really mind. :shrug:

We don't have an actual association, but some of the outrageous complaints I've heard about in my parent's neighborhood:

1. When we moved in in 1996, we moved on a Sunday. Some neighbors really had a problem with that (well, as did we since it was over 100 degrees and no one has air conditioning).

2. The lady I babysat for painted her mailbox red to accent her house and flowers. Mind you, the house is white with blue trim, quite bland, but she got harassed and was asked to paint the mailbox a different color.

3. A young family moved in across the street and the mom is real artsy. She has an AMAZING garden out front, and she painted the house this blue color with a hint of purple. It looks great but most have shunned her for painting her house an actual color.

4. The lady across from my parents had her son come over and move her nasty car, which doesn't even run, in front of her house just so that no one else could ever park there.

IMO, these homeowner associations sound like a fancy term for PEOPLE WHO HAVE WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS.

As much as I hate it sometimes, I'm glad I live in a small town where people can put up cheesy lawn decorations rather than in some snotty gated community ruled by a bunch of anal-retentive control freaks.

I don't really know that much about HOAs but since Vincent asked, here's a little from Wikipedia about them.
A homeowners association is an organization comprised of all owners of units in a housing development, which may or may not be part of a gated community. The fastest growing form of housing in the United States today are these common-interest developments, a category that includes planned-unit developments of single-family homes, condominiums, and cooperative apartments. Before the first unit is sold in one of these developments, the developer records restrictive covenants on all of the properties. These "run with the land," meaning that all successive buyers are bound by the same covenants as the original purchaser...These covenants, among other agreements, form the basis for the homeowners association.

Covenants and deed restrictions are exclusionary by nature, and in the first half of the 20th century most were racially motivated. The following is an example of a 1928 racial covenant taken from a Seattle neighborhood: "No part of said property hereby conveyed shall ever be used or occupied by any Hebrew or by any person of the Ethiopian, Malay or any Asiatic race..." Although the federal courts ruled such covenants unenforceable years earlier, private agreements kept them alive at least into the 1960s—the decade of emergence for the civil-rights movement. The Fair Housing Act of 1968 rendered them illegal.

Modern homeowners associations collect fees, fines, and other assessments from homeowners, maintain the common areas of the development, and enforce the association's governing documents. These may include detailed rules regarding construction and maintenance of individual homes. The common areas maintained and governed may include landscaping, common buildings (e.g., clubhouses) and recreational facilities such as swimming pools, common walls in attached housing developments, and infrastructure such as streets, mailboxes, sidewalks, and parking lots.
Some of the responsibilities that the covenants delegate to homeowners association boards would otherwise be performed by local governments or require private legal action under civil law. Nevertheless, association boards are almost always comprised of amateur volunteers, and as such do not require training, certification or the possession of credentials of any kind. The vast majority of homeowners associations are incorporated and are therefore governed by a board, which is in essence a private government.

In recent decades, homeowners associations have become increasingly common in the United States, exercising control over 22.1 million American homes and over 50 million Americans in 2005, according to the Community Associations Institute.
A goal of a homeowners association is the preservation of property value. It does this by enforcing its governing covenants. It makes sure that all properties are attractive and consistent with each other. As an example, this prevents one home from being painted pink while all the other homes are painted brown. An active homeowners association may have numerous subcommittess, such as social committees, pool committees and neighborhood watch committees.

There are many criticisms of homeowners associations, most notably that they can wield the power of a government without having to submit to the checks and balances and other responsibilities of one. Some homeowners believe they may be victimized without due process or appeal. The Bureau of Homeowner Protection of the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs reported... : "Curiously, with rare exceptions, when the State has notified boards of minimal association legal obligation to owners, they dispute compliance. In a disturbing number of instances, those owners with board positions use their influence to punish other owners with whom they disagree...Perhaps most alarming is the revelation that boards, or board presidents desirous of acting contrary to law, their governing documents or to fundamental democratic principles, are unstoppable without extreme owner effort and often costly litigation."

Many of the problems affecting Homeowner Associations today may be explained by another statement taken from the Hannaman Report: "The complete absence of even minimally required standards, training or even orientations for those sitting on boards and the lack of independent oversight is readily apparent in the way boards exercise control."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom