Peace on Earth...will there ever be one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
If it's not Middle east, it's somewhere in South America or South Africa, if it's not there it's something in the Balcans, if it's not that, it's terorrist strikes several places around the world.

is it really that impossible to have a time off from battling? Aren't the people tired of all the killing?

------------------
"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked about the airplanes in the videos, and the airport pics on ATYCLB)

"Not just any band...the best band on the planet." - Bono

"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge about playing live

"There's still stuff left for us to do, and that's why we still do it." - Larry, 1998

Not until we have a common enemy that all of humanity can fight against. Until then, we will keep the petty disputes amongst ourselves, keep killing each other, pretty much spilling blood where it really doesnt need to turn into violence... If you look at the historical aspect of it, nations always put their differences aside and fight a common foe, regardless of differences, until that happens for the whole world (ie an alien invasion or something of that nature) then its really not going to happen.

And if its not in South America... its in the FREE YOUR MIND forum...
smile.gif

Well, I can not rule out peace on Earth in a few hundred years or so, but I know that neither you or I will ever see it, unfortunately.

It will have to take a big ass meteor to threaten ManKind's existence like it did in ARMAGEDDON for Humanity to be united... well, ok, thats far-fetched and immensely corny, but you get my drift. Damn that movie sticks in the head.

Ant.

Originally posted by Anthony:
It will have to take a big ass meteor to threaten ManKind's existence like it did in ARMAGEDDON for Humanity to be united... well, ok, thats far-fetched and immensely corny, but you get my drift. Damn that movie sticks in the head.

Ant.

Sticks in your head because of the message behind it? Or sticks in your head because it really wasnt all that good like a lot of people seem to think it was? lol
tongue.gif

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
maybe when there are no humans left...

This reminds me of a scene in Thin Red Line where a parasitic plant coils around a tree trunk. Overvoice: "what is it about Nature that fights against itself?"

foray

I believe there can be peace on earth. How??? Well, you'll get a long way just by exterminating poverty, because you only go into a war if there's something to win and when you're all wealthy, there's too much to loose for starting a war. The costs are much higher than the profits. When you're life is already shitty, or appears to become real shit if you won't do anything, than it's much easier to go to war.
I don't believe that wars are that closely connected to the violent nature of humans (which contrary to popular belief, isn't reserved just to humans, animals can be real assholes too). "Just simple" killings are, and normal fights, or murders, or sometimes even terrorist atacks, but true war, a more or less direct long lasting battle between different groups of people isn't, i think war is far too complex for such an easy explanation, it can however be triggered with a simple act of violence)

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
maybe when there are no humans left...
Thats what i was going to say. Humans are the most violent bloodthirsty predator on earth.
Without divine intervention, i dont see how it will ever be possible.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

I was just thinking about this not too long ago actually. Here is the only reason I came up with on why it's not easy to just become a peaceful world:

Economy.

Think about it. THere are thousands upon thousands of people in the U.S armed forces that would be out in the job world with nothing to do. Factories that produce materials for the armed forces would go out of business, so there's another few thousand out of a job. U.S exports of maleable metals would decrease significantly, thus the stock market taking a drop.

However, these economic reasons are all overshadowed by one good reason to achieve peace: LIFE. I'd rather be alive and poor that fearing war and terrorism.

------------------
I will not expose the ignorance of the faculty.

I agree Miss Mac - things will get worse before they get better. I feel that the world cannot--and will not--be peaceful until Christ's return. Humans are violent and cruel by nature (even as we struggle against it every day), and the world is being brought to its knees...it truly will take Divine intervention to make things right.

It's the End Times folks...read Matthew 24...

Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto:
Humans are the most violent bloodthirsty predator on earth.
Without divine intervention, i dont see how it will ever be possible.

Lilly,
I thought you made a really good point there - but does it ever make you feel as though our whole world is built on conflict? Maybe it doesn't have to be that way. Maybe instead of scientists working on creating new weapons to kill and hurt people, they could work on discovering new medicines to save lives. Maybe instead of people being employed to build weapons, they could be employed to build homes or schools or hospitals.

Maybe people have a point when they say I'm too idealistic ;-)

*Fizz

There will never be peace on earth for the simple reason that war and conflict is a part of nature.

Animals kill each other and form power bases. Humans are no different. The only difference is that humans are much more intelligent and are aware of the GAINS to be had from wars and conflicts.

All wars are to do with money and territory. They will never, ever end. With each generation comes a new war, because people will never learn from past mistakes and always think they are right.

History is based on mistakes being repeated.

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Not until we have a common enemy that all of humanity can fight against.

This first sentence brings to mind the film "Independence Day."

No.

As for humanity uniting to fight against the common enemy, I think that the very next day after the enemy comes there will be humans willing to do dirty work for the enemy for the sake of their own profit/survival.

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
Lilly,
I thought you made a really good point there - but does it ever make you feel as though our whole world is built on conflict? Maybe it doesn't have to be that way. Maybe instead of scientists working on creating new weapons to kill and hurt people, they could work on discovering new medicines to save lives. Maybe instead of people being employed to build weapons, they could be employed to build homes or schools or hospitals.

Maybe people have a point when they say I'm too idealistic ;-)

*Fizz

I wouldn't say you're too idealistic at all. Between '93 and maybe '98 military spending was thrashed severely. Military production went down until we got into Kosovo and whatever. The problem with the military producers making houses and schools is that there are already people who do that. Can't take their jobs. Now, military spending is up ike 200% (exaggeration, I don't know the number exactly, but methinks it's in the billions) 'cos we're in a war. So production naturally has to go up. As far as scientists trying to make more destructive weapons, I'm split. Because as long as the weapon isn't likened to an atom bomb and it's more like a better bomb that will better destroy a mountain, I'm not really against that. But if it's for biological weapons or things of that nature (which I'm not sure we use, but if they did, would they tell us?), that's obviously bad. We need to employ these people. The ARMY gives good scholarships for its members, so they're getting educated too. So my point is that it's really tricky to figure out.

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

Isaiah 9:6-7

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever...

Promises like this are what give me the strength to get up in the morning and face the world.

Back
Top Bottom