Paul Wellstone dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
He is a Minnesota Senator - and probably the most liberal thing in the senate - up for re-election against a formidable Republican candidate. Died in a plane crash today.

This is one of the seats that is pretty important for both parties in the senate. Should be interesting.

:sad:

His wife, daughter, three staff members, and two pilots also died in the crash.

I can't imagine what his office here must be doing right now.

WOW......wow...wow...apparently there are two surviving sons and six surviving grandchildren. :sad:

This really is shocking.

i don't have a lot of time right now. But this is utterly shocking for us here. Not that I am a huge supporter or anything but the election is in 15 days. We dunno what will happen if he wins, etc. And how this happened..maybe due to weather. I dunno its a very sad day for the nation and my home state :(.

very sad

Such a tragedy. I know he was well liked by people on both sides for his kindness and enthusiasm. So sad the family members and others were also killed.

He was not my guy, but it saddens me none the less. This will certainly change things.

I think Minnesota Election Law states that within 16 days of the election, if there is an absent on the ballot, the party (Democratic here) can send another candidate.

howEVER....since he was incumbent (and that race was close when I left in August...but I think he still had the upper hand over Republican Norm Coleman. And that leaves the Democrats with finding a competent replacement. And really, there isn't anyone right now that can compare to Wellstone in the Democratic party. Wellstone was a notorious liberal, still staying with the Democratic party.

It is, indeed, a tragedy, regardless of his stature or political party.

For those wondering what is going to happen to this election...

From cnn.com:

"Under Minnesota law, if a nominee in a Senate race dies during a campaign, his or her political party can select a replacement candidate no later than four days before the general election. Election Day this year is November 5."

Melon

Last edited:
I am very sad about the death of Sen. Wellstone. I liked his political views. This was one politician who didn't vote according to what polls said and what would be politically expedient for him...he was true to himself and his vision of what was best for Minnesota, and the country in general.

He was proud of being a liberal at a time when being labelled a liberal was seen as a major flaw.

I am really, really sorry that he is gone, and am praying for his family.

Diane

I'm embarrassed to say this-I'd never heard of the guy until today.

But from what I've heard, he seemed like a really cool guy (sounded like someone I'd have agreed with on a ton of issues).

Anywho...that is just so awful about what happened, what with him and all those other people (his wife and his daughter, too...:tsk:. How sad).

My condolances go to his remaining family members and friends.

:sad:

Angela

This is a tragedy indeed and my prayers are with his constituents and family.

I heard our junior Senator, Jeff Sessions, speak on the radio this afternoon, and although Sessions is oppsite the aisle from Wellstone politically, he admired him as a friend and one who truly believed in the causes he supported.

~U2Alabama

It was a terrible shock to hear the news on TV today. :sad: I heard him speak in Sioux Falls, SD, a few years ago when I was living in that area. He was a tremendous public speaker and you could tell he had very strong convictions.

That's a cute puppy MVD_75

I have never had a problem with saying I am a Wellstone supporter. Yes, he anchored the left-end of the Senate, voting often against or for things when no one else would have the guts to vote that way for fear of not winning re-election.

I did not vote for him because he was the left-anchor - I voted for him because he fought and voted for what he felt was right. I don't think we have a lot of people like that in politics these days.

In 1996, a close friend and I jumped in my car election night and headed to his victory gathering. We talked to his supporters, shook his hand, enjoyed some bubbly, checked out the "green bus," and listen to him speak. WOW. Listen to him speak, from th heart, with great conviction, confirmed why I had casted my vote for this person earlier in the day.

He will be greatly missed.

Too bad the memorial service was no more than a political rally. The VP, who was the administration's representative at the service, was asked not to come.

Re: That's a cute puppy MVD_75

zonelistener said:
I have never had a problem with saying I am a Wellstone supporter. Yes, he anchored the left-end of the Senate, voting often against or for things when no one else would have the guts to vote that way for fear of not winning re-election.

I did not vote for him because he was the left-anchor - I voted for him because he fought and voted for what he felt was right. I don't think we have a lot of people like that in politics these days.

In 1996, a close friend and I jumped in my car election night and headed to his victory gathering. We talked to his supporters, shook his hand, enjoyed some bubbly, checked out the "green bus," and listen to him speak. WOW. Listen to him speak, from th heart, with great conviction, confirmed why I had casted my vote for this person earlier in the day.

He will be greatly missed.

I liked and respected him a lot. You're right--there are not many Wellstones left. He seemed to be in politics because of his convictions and not because of anything else (ego, fame, etc). What a loss. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom