Paul Martin- 100 Million Contribution to WHO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
http://www.news.gc.ca/cfmx/CCP/view/en/index.cfm?articleid=85149&
g
Allow me to give you a final example: Every year 14 million people die of diseases that could be avoided if they had access to affordable drugs. In the next 24 hours, 8 000 people will die of AIDS and 14000 others will become infected with HIV, destroying families and devastating already fragile countries. Figures like these are mind-boggling, and UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has launched an urgent appeal to the international community. Canada will answer the call. This week, we will be the first country in the world to pass a law that will allow pharmaceutical manufacturers to produce low-cost drugs to combat HIV and AIDS in Africa.

I know there will be people saying this is a election spin on the part of Paul Martin .. I tend to disagree I think this is something that he has had interest in before becoming PM and is genuine on and kept his promise.. Doesnt mean I will neccesarily vote for him but I do applaud him and back him on these issues.. And today I can't help but be off the wall happy about this recent announcement of 100 million injection to the WHO program .. absolutely amazing step in the right direction and along with the passing with Bill C-9 even though it still has some things that could be better..it will allow generic drugs to get to Africa, I am so very proud of Canada on this and proud to be Canadian you can bet I will hold us to our repsonsibilites on this .. Regardless of any poltiical motives this is just fantastic for Africa and the bottom line is this is going to save lives.. I hope other countries follow..

i dont dispute the sincerity with which martin has approached the AIDS crisis. this, and even more broadly the plight of Africa, is certainly an issue which concerns him and he would like to make a centerpiece in revitalizing canadian foreign aid which has been neglected such that it is presently embarassing.

the timing of the announcement is without a doubt political.
that however is how gov works and there is nothing necessarily wrong with it.

the timing of the announcement is without a doubt political.
Yep.. but also a good chance for Bono to bring up the fact that we want more then this .. to thank Canada for what we have done but to remind is that we need to get .7% it was a good audience for him to.. I REALLY ADMIRE THIS GUY BONO.

Maybe he could have given the 200 million if the Liberals had'nt pissed away the other 100 million on their buddies.

Anyways, good news, and i would chalk this up the Jack Layton who has been really badgering Bono and Martin to live up to the promise made.

uggh I cringed when Jack Layton Layton sent that letter to Bono..poltics played and I have always liked Jack and then when the NDP said we they were sending the Liberals response to the questions to Bono.. It reminded me of a tattle tail kid on the school ground.. all I could thing was why not start an action campaign of your own get the public involved instead of saying you will tell bono who is not even Canadian ..when I'm sure Bono was aware anyway of just what was happening and was putting pressure on.. Layton he did put pressure on Martin I will give him that but the letter.. I thought bad form .... What would have impressed me more would have been to bring it out more to the public instead of laying this back on Bono..ya he said he would be a pain in the ass but what are we doing..

and that money that was "pissed away" wouldnt have come from foreign aid budget...

Back
Top Bottom