'Partial-birth' abortion ban upheld

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
http://washingtontimes.com/upi/20070418-110615-1393

WASHINGTON April 18 (UPI) -- The U.S. Supreme Court Wednesday upheld the federal ban on "partial-birth abortions" in a major victory for the Bush administration and abortion foes.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the opinion for the majority as the court split 5-4 voting to uphold the 2003 law as written. Kennedy -- joining Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas -- said lawsuits challenging the law banning "partial-birth" abortion should not have been allowed.

The proper way to make a challenge, if an abortion ban is claimed to harm a woman's right to abortion, is through an as-applied claim," Kennedy wrote.

The decision said the federal ban would be unconstitutional "if it subjected women to significant health risks" but that "safe medical options are available."

Writing for the minority, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said the decision failed "to take seriously" the 1992 Supreme Court decision reaffirming Roe vs. Wade and a 2000 decision that struck down a state "partial-birth" abortion law.

Irvine511 said:
yay.

so glad the 0.17% of all abortions performed won't now be performed. medical necessity be damned!

That's the saddest part about it, people see this as a victory, but late term abortions(this is why I asked how they define it) are usually the most necessary.

When will these people learn?

I know I can't over turn a law, and I would not due to the respect of the womans wish, but are we all who are in favor or agains ready to answer to God(if you believe in him) when we die. All life is Sacred.

This question simply doesn't matter in a secular state.
You don't have, you even must not, act according to, what you think, would be God's will.

If God deemed it to be so bad, you wouldn't be sent to heaven, would you?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Unless they are criminals?:huh:

Hypocricy, look it up...

Did I ever say criminals were never human???:huh: I dont remember, but the difference is they had a choice the child does not. And don't bring the Petrii Dish Argument.

Justin24 said:

Did I ever say criminals were never human???:huh: I dont remember, but the difference is they had a choice the child does not. And don't bring the Petrii Dish Argument.

Didn't say anything about a petri dish:huh:

But you believe in DP, and you just said "ALL life is sacred".

I see a big contradiction there.

Vincent Vega said:
This question simply doesn't matter in a secular state.
You don't have, you even must not, act according to, what you think, would be God's will.

If God deemed it to be so bad, you wouldn't be sent to heaven, would you?

Great post.

So much of what these same people do and want legal is considered sin, yet it would effect them so those don't count.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Didn't say anything about a petri dish:huh:

But you believe in DP, and you just said "ALL life is sacred".

I see a big contradiction there.

damn your right, Murderers who have been found guilty 100%, through, DNA and all other matters of law, should not live one more day. But this is not a DP thread.

Would Jesus, Mohammed, Abraham or anyone else think abortining a child, if it's not a risk to mothers correct?

Irvine511 said:
yay.

so glad the 0.17% of all abortions performed won't now be performed. medical necessity be damned!

Exactly. What needs to happen now is one of the twits on the Supreme Court or in the Senate needs to have a daughter who needs to have one of these. Then we'll see laws that treat women as something other than baby-makers.

martha said:

Exactly. What needs to happen now is one of the twits on the Supreme Court or in the Senate needs to have a daughter who needs to have one of these. Then we'll see laws that treat women as something other than baby-makers.

i think it should also be pointed out that women who have one of these nearly all do so for medical necessity -- no woman gets to be 8 months pregnant and says, "you know what? think i've changed my mind."

Irvine511 said:
yay.

Indeed. In cases that I've read, this procedure is done because of a medical emergency or the finding of a severe genetic defect late in the pregnancy.

"When she was about 26 weeks pregnant, Britell says that she was told by her doctor that her baby had no brain. The condition of her fetus, anencephaly, meant that her baby would die moments after birth.

Regarding the arguement that carrying the fetus to term would give her more time to "prepare" for the grieving process: "Prepare?" says Britell. "That would consist of months of people walking up to me and saying things like, 'How nice, you're pregnant. When is the due date?' and me having to respond time and time again, 'Well, that would be one day before the funeral.'"

http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/feature/2002/07/24/late_term/index.html?pn=1

Irvine511 said:

i think it should also be pointed out that women who have one of these nearly all do so for medical necessity -- no woman gets to be 8 months pregnant and says, "you know what? think i've changed my mind."

Exactly. Like I said before, I don't think any of these women viewed it as a "choice", like they wanted an abortion. It was a medical necessity either to preserve their health or the ability to have children in the future. I remember seeing a story about this on one of those shows like Dateline NBC or 60 minutes. The stories that these women told were heartbreaking and none of them were happy about it, but they had no other option. Then they showed clips of politicians talking like these women were horrible people, like the women intentionally chose this option just because they wanted to.

kellyahern said:

"When she was about 26 weeks pregnant, Britell says that she was told by her doctor that her baby had no brain. The condition of her fetus, anencephaly, meant that her baby would die moments after birth.

i have a younger brother and sister, and growing up, the two of them were best friends with a similar brother/sister the same ages as the two of them. their friends came from a family with 5 kids.

and that mother-of-5 is the only person i've ever heard of who had a late-term abortion for precisely the reason above.

Justin24 said:

damn your right, Murderers who have been found guilty 100%, through, DNA and all other matters of law, should not live one more day. But this is not a DP thread.
There is never 100% in guilt.

Justin24 said:
I know I can't over turn a law, and I would not due to the respect of the womans wish, but are we all who are in favor or agains ready to answer to God(if you believe in him) when we die. All life is Sacred.
Do you eat anything at all?

The law should allow people to be moral on principle - having choice allows that.

Kiki said:
what exactly is a "partial birth abortion"? I mean....you go through giving birth partially and then abort the baby????? Whether thats correct in how I'm understanding that or not.....that's just gross.

That is a term invented by the religious right in order to do exactly what it's done to you - have an emotional reaction. It means a late-term abortion, but if they can call it partial-birth, well that's just a lot more evocative - who cares if it's a mischaracterization.

I know I have said this many many times. But why chose life in prison for murderer who made the choice to kill yet Abortion the taking of a life is ok?? And in the abortion stage I am talking about when it has a head, legs, feet, heart beat etc...

Justin24 said:
I know I have said this many many times. But why chose life in prison for murderer who made the choice to kill yet Abortion the taking of a life is ok?? And in the abortion stage I am talking about when it has a head, legs, feet, heart beat etc...

Can you ever stick to the subject?

You've asked this several times before, do you think the answer will change...

Umm I am sticking to the subject of abortion and I never get a full answer only a half answer.

and A_Wanderer we are talking about people.

Back
Top Bottom