Parents: White Teacher Should Not Teach Black History

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Using a white teacher at Oberlin High School would send the wrong message to black students, said A.G. Miller, an associate professor of American and African religious history at Oberlin College.[/Q]

[Q]Phyllis Yarber Hogan, a member of the Oberlin Black Alliance for Progress, said a white teacher wouldn't be well-suited to teaching students about subjects like slavery.

"When you talk about slavery, students need to understand it is not our fault," she said. "Our ancestors did nothing wrong to be enslaved.

"How do you work through that when the person teaching it is the same type of person who did the enslaving?" [/Q]

Thoughts anyone?

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/2360897/detail.html

I think this is ridiculous. Granted, I'm white. But I didn't own the slaves (even though admittedly I am actually descended from a nineteenth century slave owner on my mother's side). I had an African-American history prof who really did not agree with the premise that whites can't teach black history. He was a Napoleonic scholar, and he thought that was about like someone telling him he couldn't teach French history because he wasn't French. Personally, I have been to about a zillion demonstrations denouncing racism, the Ku Klux Klan, and every other anti-black activity and group known to the human race. There's nothing preventing us knowing our stuff if we choose to teach black history and work really hard on our research and pass the tests.

I find this silly.

I've had a true blue American from Oklahoma teach me a course in Slavic history at university. He was one of the best profs I had. Should they have hired a Russian or a Czech instead? I don't think so.

The halls of academia should be centred on the best possible people teaching kids who are paying big bucks to get the best education they can.

verte76 said:
I think this is ridiculous. Granted, I'm white. But I didn't own the slaves

Exactly.

Originally posted by verte76
Personally, I have been to about a zillion demonstrations denouncing racism, the Ku Klux Klan, and every other anti-black activity and group known to the human race. There's nothing preventing us knowing our stuff if we choose to teach black history and work really hard on our research and pass the tests.

Yep. Exactly right.

Angela

"the same type of person that did the enslaving" :eyebrow:

I have no right to judge African Americans on this or any other issue, and I never would, but that just seems like an unproductive attitude to me.

The only way they are the "same type of person" is in skin color. :grumpy:

As a Caucasian woman who has spent the last several years working with minority children and teenagers, including several children who were born in Ghana, I really, really resent this.

paxetaurora said:
The only way they are the "same type of person" is in skin color. :grumpy:

As a Caucasian woman who has spent the last several years working with minority children and teenagers, including several children who were born in Ghana, I really, really resent this.

I agree. I think it's racist, to be perfectly honest.:mad: :mad: :censored: :censored:

well...i can sorta see what they're saying.

yes, it's ludicrous, but i can see where they're coming from.

i am getting my minor in american indian studies, and when i took my first course in it i was one of 3 white kids in my class.

i think the issue that they're trying to raise is that of perspective. before i had learned about TRUE american indian history i had a different perspective than i do now.

but if someone is a teacher, they should have the knowledge and perspective to be able to teach black history.

Parents: White Teacher Should Not Teach Black History
Group Of Parents Protest District's Decision

OBERLIN, Ohio, Updated 1:33 p.m. EDT July 28, 2003 -- A group of parents said they will fight a possible decision to allow a white teacher to lead classes in black history at Oberlin High School.

NewsChannel5 reported that a scheduling conflict could cause the district to reassign the black teacher who has taught the course for seven years.

Using a white teacher at Oberlin High School would send the wrong message to black students, said A.G. Miller, an associate professor of American and African religious history at Oberlin College.

"The message is that we are not concerned about the importance of your historical background ... that that is less important than a schedule conflict," said Miller, whose three children graduated from Oberlin High School.

Jaqui Willis, a black Oberlin parent, said the teacher is a role model and that removing him from the class would be detrimental to students.

The parents have protested the move to the school board, but the district's superintendent, Beverly Reep, has not commented on the case. Reep told parents at a school board meeting that scheduling issues would be addressed this week.

Schools and community leaders in the Cleveland area are split over the issue of whether blacks should be the only ones to teach black history.

In Cleveland, white and black teachers teach black history. A black teacher teaches black history at Shaker Heights High School, but a white teacher handles classes on oppression and human relations, both which deal extensively with race relations and slavery.

Little research has been done to determine whether same-race teachers lead to higher achievement by minority students. Ronald Ehrenberg, director of Cornell University's Higher Education Research Institute, said many researchers steer clear of the topic out of fear of being attacked.

Michael Williams, interim director of Cleveland State University's black studies program, said schools should choose a black teacher if that person is most qualified, not just because the teacher happens to be black.

If two teachers are equally qualified, Williams gives the edge to the black teacher.

"That person still has the advantage of the culture," said Williams, who is black. "They understand the nuances of the culture."

Phyllis Yarber Hogan, a member of the Oberlin Black Alliance for Progress, said a white teacher wouldn't be well-suited to teaching students about subjects like slavery.

"When you talk about slavery, students need to understand it is not our fault," she said. "Our ancestors did nothing wrong to be enslaved.

"How do you work through that when the person teaching it is the same type of person who did the enslaving?"

Last edited:
If it bleeds it leads.

especially on the drudge report.

This story seems more to be about parents that do not want a popular black teacher who is teaching this class to be reassigned.

now it is an international story about race.

deep, that controversy is about the re-assignment of that teacher *and* the whole issue of blacks/whites teaching black history, history of oppression, etc, etc. That quote about "the same type of person" is what pisses me off. Like pax said the only thing that makes me the "same type of person" as the people who owned slaves is my racial background. I can understand how they think someone with an African-American heritage might be more familiar with racial oppression than a Caucasian person. That's fair game. But the quote pisses me off, and I don't think it's fair to say "whites shouldn't teach black history, period". Good teachers can teach, bad ones can't.

so your roots go back to the plantation

verte,

please don't let me prevent you from being *pissed off* :wink:

but I did say more about, not only about.

I don't disagree with your *and*

everybody here seemed to think it was an *only* issue.

deep said:

This story seems more to be about parents that do not want a popular black teacher who is teaching this class to be reassigned.

now it is an international story about race.

It is about race. The quotes are disgusting and insulting.

If it was just about it being a popular teacher then the "RACE" card should not have been played by the parents. however it WAS. It has been made into a RACIAL issue by people who are BIGGOTED towards white people. Let's call it what it is...reverse racism.

If it was about the teacher, then lets talk credentials, lets talk experience, demonstrate that the white teacher is not qualified to teach the content.

The whole world is upside down these past few days. MLK must be really proud.

Peace

Dreadsox said:
If it was just about it being a popular teacher then the "RACE" card should not have been played by the parents. however it WAS. It has been made into a RACIAL issue by people who are BIGGOTED towards white people. Let's call it what it is...reverse racism.

Why "reverse racism"? If I remember correctly, the definition of racism does not talk about discrimination by some specific race.

[Q]Main Entry: rac?ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun
Date: 1936
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination[/Q]

Well, here is Webster's Definition.

I would say if the table was turned on this topic and a black teacher was being told you cannot teach this class because of your skin color......the word Racism would be thrown out there.

reverse would be directed at white people

peace

Dreadsox said:
It is about race. The quotes are disgusting and insulting.

If it was about the teacher, then lets talk credentials, lets talk experience, demonstrate that the white teacher is not qualified to teach the content.

Exactly.

Originally posted by Dreadsox
The whole world is upside down these past few days. MLK must be really proud.

Yeah, no kidding.

Angela

If this were about a popular teacher's reassignment, the parents could protest without pulling the race card. Trying to cover up the racism involved furthers the notion that only whites can be racists.

pub crawler said:
Question to everyone: Why is it important to prove that black people can be racists?

Usually it is because then we white people can avoid turning the spotlight inward on ourselves and avoid really addressing the inherent racism that still exists in America today and the legitimate greivances that the black community has. At least that has been my experience when working with cross-cultural groups and race relations forums and discussions.

*edited to add that I don't intend the above comment to be a slam on people posting in this thread. It's just been my observation about these sorts of issues in general.

Last edited:
sulawesigirl4 said:

Usually it is because then we white people can avoid turning the spotlight inward on ourselves and avoid really addressing the inherent racism that still exists in America today and the legitimate greivances that the black community has. At least that has been my experience when working with cross-cultural groups and race relations forums and discussions.

I would agree and only add that it is because ALL PEOPLE can avoid turning the spotlight inward on ourselves.

It is very easy for someone to tell themselves that they are not racists (and they very may well not be). The next step is taking ownership of the problem and inserting oneself in situations where a pattern of racism (however subtle it may be) can be countered and, someday, overcome.

pub crawler said:
Question to everyone: Why is it important to prove that black people can be racists?

Racism shouldn't be seen as a strictly "white" issue because that just sidesteps really addressing the racism problem in this society. Unfortunately anyone can be a racist. These people are claiming that it's a "white" problem.

verte76 said:

Racism shouldn't be seen as a strictly "white" issue because that just sidesteps really addressing the racism problem in this society. Unfortunately anyone can be a racist. These people are claiming that it's a "white" problem.

The strength of racial politics lies, in part, on a presumption that one group can only be or is proned to racism.

I think that the idea that Black people are "as racist as white people" comes from a particular interpretation of the word racism. It implies that racism is just people not getting along or just a matter of individual people disliking people of a different race.

But racism isn't just people not being nice to each other, it's not just a white person not liking his black neighbour: it's the way in which an entire "race" of people are marginalised in society. In that sense, although Black people can have prejudices against white people, it is in no way comparable to the systematic discrimination which Black people currently face.

Certainly people of any "race" can have prejudices against those of other "races" but that isn't the same as the way in which Black people have been treated throughout history and continue to be treated today.

Or at least that's my opinion. :wink:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I think that the idea that Black people are "as racist as white people" comes from a particular interpretation of the word racism. It implies that racism is just people not getting along or just a matter of individual people disliking people of a different race.

I posted the Webster dictionary definition. It is not a "particular interpretation". Nothing about the definition is implied.

it's the way in which an entire "race" of people are marginalised in society. In that sense, although Black people can have prejudices against white people, it is in no way comparable to the systematic discrimination which Black people currently face.

I have provided a clear example of a rediculous situation in which a teacher was moved for scheduling purposes. This is perfectly legal within the operation of a school system.

The parents instead of dealing with this in a responsible manner are playing brought RACE into it. I am not trying to put words into your mouth, but it seems that you find it acceptable that THEIR biggoted attitude towards the white teacher is acceptable because of HISTORY. I hope I am misunderstanding you, but the history of the African people has nothing to do with this situation nor does it make the comments acceptable.

pub crawler said:

Anyone can be a racist.....if this were about white people protesting that a Chinese teacher was teaching European history I would be equally offended and pissed off.

deep said:

really?

if this were a math class or a health class i would agree. but it is not, is it?

Are you trying to be funny or bait me? I will give you the benefit of the doubt but your vague comments in the past have led me to misunderstand your point.

If you read the whole response to Fizz's my comment is perfectly clear. Of course snipping half a sentence out of context of the entire point really is funny.

Now do I deny that the History has led us to where we are today...no. Is it relevant to the situation that the article presented. No.

:huh:

Last edited:
Dread,

you seem to have strong feelings on this.

i was not trying to bait you.
it sounded funny to me, reading what you wrote.

if we were having a real time conversation i would have stopped you and said how can you say this has nothing to do with the history of african people.

here is your post
I have provided a clear example of a rediculous situation in which a teacher was moved for scheduling purposes. This is perfectly legal within the operation of a school system.

The parents instead of dealing with this in a responsible manner are playing brought RACE into it. I am not trying to put words into your mouth, but it seems that you find it acceptable that THEIR biggoted attitude towards the white teacher is acceptable because of HISTORY. I hope I am misunderstanding you, but the history of the African people has nothing to do with this situation nor does it make the comments acceptable.

i realize it was part of a response to someone else, but the history of african people is at the core of this whole matter
the parents would not be going on and on if it was a math class.

Thanks for clarifying.....

EDIT: FYM I changed my other post before reading you last one.

peace

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom