opposition to marriage equality declines further

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]Opposition to Gay Marriage Declines

After peaking during the 2004 election, opposition to allowing gays and lesbians to marry has faded in recent years. Currently, 51% oppose legalizing gay marriage, down from a recent high of 63% just two years ago in February of 2004. The percent who favor allowing gay marriage has increased from a low of 29% in August of that year to 39% today.

These figures are in keeping with the long-term trend toward acceptance of gay marriage seen in surveys leading up to the 2004 race. In June of 1996 just 27% favored legalizing gay marriage, a figure which rose to 35% in March of 2001 and 38% in the summer of 2003. This growing support fell away during the debates surrounding gay marriage that were sparked largely by the Massachusetts Supreme Court decision in February 2004, a resurgence in opposition that lasted throughout the rest of the election year.

The turnaround over the past two years is particularly distinct in the change among those who say they "strongly oppose" legalizing gay marriage. Just 28% take this position today, down from 42% in February of 2004, and the decline has been sharpest among seniors, Republicans and more moderate religious groups. Fully 58% of Americans age 65 and older strongly opposed gay marriage in 2004; only 33% are strongly opposed now. Two years ago 59% of Republicans strongly opposed gay marriage, while just 41% take this position today. And both white Catholics and non-evangelical Protestants are half as likely to strongly oppose gay marriage today as they were in 2004. Opposition remains strongest among white evangelical Protestants, 56% of whom strongly oppose legalizing gay marriage, down from 65% two years ago.

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=273

[/q]

I was very proud to be in church yesterday. A married Gay couple with thier two adopted children were in front of us. It felt good to see them worshipping and participating in the service.

Hmm...story doesn't really say why the changing trend re: gay marriage attitudes, so I assume they didn't really ask those contextual questions. Could it be that something that just makes sense and is the right thing to do is actually making sense to more people? Or is it a backlash against certain extremists in American society who maybe went too far with the paranoid hate mongering?

Judah said:
Hmm...story doesn't really say why the changing trend re: gay marriage attitudes, so I assume they didn't really ask those contextual questions. Could it be that something that just makes sense and is the right thing to do is actually making sense to more people? Or is it a backlash against certain extremists in American society who maybe went too far with the paranoid hate mongering?

it was a poll by the Pew Research Foundation -- i don't think "why" was part of the survey.

awww poor deep :hug::sexywink:

ETA: I have a good feeling that the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia will vote NO on the gay marriage ban in November...which would be a major indicator if a state as conservative as VA were to do that.

Back
Top Bottom