Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I'm not being sarcastic either.

Due to this country's history of slavery and systematic racism against African-Americans by angry white republicans, I strongly believe that African-Americans shouldn't be policed by this racist white system. Due to all these racist shootings and situations where African-Americans have been harassed and discriminated against by these white cops, laws should be passed prohibiting white police from detaining, arresting, and generally dealing with African-Americans without a officer-of-color being present. African-Americans have been victimized by this racist system and are often forced into situations where they commit crimes at a disproportionate rate. Given their terrible track record, If a white cop responds to a violent crime, such as an armed robbery, and the suspect is an African-American, the white cop can't be trusted to respond with a reasonable level of force and should therefore not engage. Remember, the minority "suspect" is a victim of systematic racism.

Furthermore, African-Americans should be compensated for all they've had to endure in this country. Police should be required to use more discretion in dealing with African-Americans and they should be more lenient in regards to certain petty "crimes", especially when a white person is the supposed "victim." African-Americans have been victimized by this racist white system for 100s of years so some "payback" might be in order.

African-Americans also deserve financial compensation for all they've endured. I'm all for tax breaks and other entitlements for minority groups. White privilege is a reality and these racist white right wingers and Trump supporters need to pay up.

So fight racism with segregation? That's just as ignorant as the problem itself.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Due to this country's history of slavery and systematic racism against African-Americans by angry white republicans, I strongly believe that African-Americans shouldn't be policed by this racist white system. Due to all these racist shootings and situations where African-Americans have been harassed and discriminated against by these white cops, laws should be passed prohibiting white police from detaining, arresting, and generally dealing with African-Americans without a officer-of-color being present. African-Americans have been victimized by this racist system and are often forced into situations where they commit crimes at a disproportionate rate. Given their terrible track record, If a white cop responds to a violent crime, such as an armed robbery, and the suspect is an African-American, the white cop can't be trusted to respond with a reasonable level of force and should therefore not engage. Remember, the minority "suspect" is a victim of systematic racism.

Furthermore, African-Americans should be compensated for all they've had to endure in this country. Police should be required to use more discretion in dealing with African-Americans and they should be more lenient in regards to certain petty "crimes", especially when a white person is the supposed "victim." African-Americans have been victimized by this racist white system for 100s of years so some "payback" might be in order.

African-Americans also deserve financial compensation for all they've endured. I'm all for tax breaks and other entitlements for minority groups. White privilege is a reality and these racist white right wingers and Trump supporters need to pay up.

If you're not being sarcastic, you're bonkers.

We should let African Americans get away with crimes and victimize white people because of what went on 150 years ago?

And white police have to let African Americans get away with crime because of a few examples of misused force?

So basically you're suggesting lawlessness, but only for African Americans?

That'll restore harmony in the country.

i love those purge movies!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

right! Purge these racist white trash republicans and trump supporters and send them back to europe!!!!!!!!!

They aren't hypocrites they are freedom fighters!

Last edited:
oh how wonderful, just when i thought the level of discourse around here couldn't get any higher someone swoops in to prove me wrong.

Speaking as someone who is favor of reparations and ending mass incarceration and the War on Drugs and massively reforming our criminal justice system, allowing certain people to get away with crimes is a horrible idea.

Good luck finding a police officer who can afford to live in Washington DC. Or San Francisco. Or ...

Eh, you'd be surprised. The salary in San Francisco is contractually obligated to be the second-highest in the nation (usually right behind NYC's), so they could very well afford to live in San Francisco and even purchase a home.

Eh, you'd be surprised. The salary in San Francisco is contractually obligated to be the second-highest in the nation (usually right behind NYC's), so they could very well afford to live in San Francisco and even purchase a home.

You really are detached aren't you? Just looking at the average police salary of 7 years served and you can barely afford rent in the city.

Hell, my software engineering friends who started at $120k/year in San Francisco can't foresee a time when they'll be able to buy houses there.

Hell, my software engineering friends who started at $120k/year in San Francisco can't foresee a time when they'll be able to buy houses there.

They just need to take a course in Bernie Math! Then they'll be rich. ;-)

I'm so jealous of any type of engineer who starts north of 90, even location adjusted.

Lolz

First off, the NYPD doesn't even have the highest paid police officers within the New York Metropolitan Area, by a long shot. So that's just plain wrong.

Starting salary is $42k. After differential and OT maybe they're bringing home 50k.

By year 5 the salary for the rank and file is 78k, or 88-90k after OT/diff, or just enough to pay for a shitty one bedroom.

There's a reason why so many cops live just outside of the city limits, and why many double their hours with overtime (great way to keep them fresh!)

San Francisco starting salary is over 80K. I'm wrong in what I thought was the #1 salary as it's probably Chicago if I remember correctly. But San Francisco's contract guarantees them #2. At those starting wages and the seven year raise, you can afford a million dollar home with a 30 year mortgage, etc.

Once a cop has been there for seven years, they're basically making the same, if not a little more, than most of the new techies that live in the city. So, yes, they can easily afford the sky-high rents or purchasing an apartment, etc. Beyond that, their salary is plenty to purchase a home and quickly commute from anywhere else nearby.

Last edited:
San Francisco starting salary is over 80K. I'm wrong in what I thought was the #1 salary as it's probably Chicago if I remember correctly. But San Francisco's contract guarantees them #2. At over 100K a year, starting, you can afford a million dollar home with a 30 year mortgage, etc.

Once a cop has been there for seven years, they're basically making the same, if not a little more, than most of the techies that live in the city. So, yes, they can easily afford the sky-high rents or purchasing an apartment, etc.

False:

Salary and Benefits | Police Department

Rent or mortgage should be no more than 30% of your income.

#berniemathdoesntwork

It all depends on your lifestyle. Honest to god, my total non-rent expenses in a year run maybe $12,000, tops. So, if we're saying I had $100,000 after taxes, then I could theoretically put most of that towards a house payment...

But that's me. And I don't really live some sort of pauper lifestyle, but don't require a car (girlfriend has one though, but we didn't have one when living in SF or Berkeley) and don't really go out for food and drink much, etc.

Last edited:
The operative word is should. I spend about half my income on the house payments and would spend even more on it if I made even more. Again, it's all down to lifestyle. No kids, etc.

Well unless you are sponging off someone I seriously doubt your annual expenses are only 5,000.00.

Well unless you are sponging off someone I seriously doubt your annual expenses are only 5,000.00.

Yeah, I was literally falling asleep and going to bed right now and it all started running through my head.

I'd say $12,000 a year constitutes all my expenses including health care, 401K pre-tax, commuting, food (those are the biggies I guess). While my half of the mortgage (including interest, insurance, etc.) runs like another $7,000 or whatever.

So, in general, subtracting $12-15,000 from any sum of money and I could honestly just toss the rest at a nice house or completing a mortgage, etc. But again, that's me. That figure though shouldn't sound too crazy as plenty of low-wage or part time, childless hipster types get by on $20K a year and such (although no longer in a lot of metropolitan areas, obviously).

Last edited:

Yeah honestly. Health insurance? Groceries? Clothing? $ for cabs/gas for girlfriend's car/public transit? Dental expenses? Prescription drugs? Cell phone? Cable? Internet? Toiletries? Any loans (student, etc)? All of that costs you $400/month?

I mean I find that VERY hard to believe. Just the food alone would run you at least half that (if you're being very frugal with what you buy AND never eat out AND especially never drink out).

Curious if you pay health insurance/phone/car/transport etc bills? $5000 is not enough in one year for these items, when you start to factor in the cost of food.

Yeah, again, it's about $12,000 give or take a bit. I completely effed up when I put up that first number.

My Obamacare premium with the subsidy has ranged from like $33-46 a month over the years (sometimes going down one year to the next, sometimes up) while San Francisco's forced HRAs for employers means all of the out of pocket expenses have been, yes, free.

I only pay $25 a month for my cellphone. I have no need for a smartphone. I have no interest in playing games or surfing the web on one and I listen to my iPod while commuting. I will admit that handy coupons and the maps feature would be nice to have all the time.

I pay for insurance and fixes on our older car which cost almost nothing to purchase a few years back. We have a second new one that the gf decided to buy thanks to being a techie with some major salary increases due to changing jobs.

I spend about $2,000 a year on BART alone, actually.

No student loans, no ongoing medication (been sick once for a week from age 13 to now).

We get super fast internet here because nobody else really wants it and that's only $45 a month from Comcast for a service they charge like $100 a month. Have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu for paid entertainment, Kodi and someone's HBO password for more illegal stuff on our set-top box.

I literally don't buy clothes. At all. There will be new shoes necessary for myself or work relatively frequently though.

I'm not a foodie, really. I'm a vegetarian by choice and had to become a vegan due to a digestion sort of issue, but I really don't have anything in my life where I ever even really think about the cost or whatever. Both my girlfriend and I have a mentality where we would think certain things are too expensive and avoid them even if we have the money like $300 for a single concert ticket or whatever...but no, I don't really live a penny pinching existence or whatever, but I get that I'm fortunate for a lot of reasons as to having someone to share a home with, an American city with a high-wage floor and good (required) benefits, etc.

Strangely, beyond costs related to more (and better) work lunches and such (the more you work, the more you spend on food due to time constraints), if I were to work more at a job with higher pay I'm pretty sure I would actually spend less on the general stuff. Simply by virtue of having less time to spend on entertainment things, etc. since I'd be spending more time at work. And when working full-time in the past, I like to go out even less since I'm just more exhausted.

Anyway, just food for thought. I know for a fact there's plenty of millennials in NYC or SF that spend more money eating mid-priced takeout in a month than I actually make in a month. So my lifestyle is probably ab-normal compared to a lot of people. Just the cellphone thing alone is anywhere from like $500-1000 extra in my pocket a year, etc. How may other cities make the employers pay into HRA for every hour worked? Or places that allow you to commute from an hour away for $2,000 a year, etc.?

Last edited:
False:

Salary and Benefits | Police Department

Rent or mortgage should be no more than 30% of your income.

#berniemathdoesntwork

Oh no, a $1mm house is totally affordable on a $100k income. The mortage payment is only ~$6k/month. After federal and California state income taxes, $100k/year becomes ~$5.3k/month. So making that $6k/month mortgage payment is totally doable.

(I wish.)

Jesus, are you sure about that? That would make that million dollar home come out to 2,160,000 for thirty years. That's just terrible.

But, case in point, had my girlfriend and I each made $100,000 a year five years ago, we could've bought a great house in Berkeley for $500-600,000 (good luck with that now) and each chucked fifty grand a year at the thing, finishing the mortage in five-to-six years. And that's not crazy, plenty of Bay Area techies have short mortgages and before properties really started rising through the roof recently, it was common for a lot of them to just chuck $500,000 in cash at a home (you'd be surprised how much can be saved on two incomes, no kids, and moderately expensive rent of five-to-ten years ago).

It is a fucking joke now though. These techies are spending like $60,000 a year just to rent an apartment. It's appalling. A new techie moving to San Francisco (if they're lucky enough to brave the hordes and actually find a place) can basically become a lower middle class individual after paying rent and higher prices for goods in the city. For doing the most sought after work in the country at the moment.

Last edited:
Jesus, are you sure about that? That would make that million dollar home come out to 2,160,000 for thirty years. That's just terrible.

The calculator I used was a little high on the interest rate by 2016 standards (somewhere in the high 3% range), and it obviously ignores the mortgage interest deduction. You could also lower that with a down payment, but obviously generating that sort of cash takes time. So maybe my example was a little exaggerated, but you're not going to get to the place where a $1mm house is remotely affordable on a $100k income.

It shows that the so-called "progressive" anti-development policies of San Francisco and elsewhere are a disaster that have made owning property there only accessible for the massively-wealthy, or baby boomers who lucked into buying some condo in the Embarcadero area for $30k in the 80s.

It is a fucking joke now though. These techies are spending like $60,000 a year just to rent an apartment. It's appalling. A new techie moving to San Francisco (if they're lucky enough to brave the hordes and actually find a place) can basically become a lower middle class individual after paying rent and higher prices for goods in the city. For doing the most sought after work in the country at the moment.

Yeah, seriously. I just graduated college and ended up with a choice between being a techie in California and a consultant in Texas... the lifestyle difference is breathtaking, even if I'm actually making less money in Texas than I would have been in California. I love California, but it's just really hard to justify living there.

And these problems are the ones faced by well-paid professionals. What everyone else has to deal with is so much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom