Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #901
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
The killer grew up in a highly dysfunctional home environment. Thirty nine calls to the police over the last however many years. His Mom was a single parent, when she died last November from the flu four people showed up to her funeral. He was said to be distraught over that fact, and her death. Obviously plenty of people grow up in dysfunctional families(I did) and don't commit mass murder. I feel no sympathy for him, but his life circumstances still make me sad. It's also sad to me to think that perhaps even one person could have made a difference in his life to the extent that he wouldn't have become a mass murderer.

Common sense gun control to me means no regular citizen needs an AR 15 or similar weapon. And no troubled mentally ill person should have one, or any guns in my opinion. All these politicians take money from the NRA, even Democrats. I for one am sickened beyond words by endless "discussion" about gun control while kids and adults are slaughtered.

There also are obviously issues going on with some boys, and men, that need serious consideration and intervention. Teenage girls are not going on school shooting rampages. That's already been mentioned here, and it's not anti-male. Just a fact.

Absolutely true indeed.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #902
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Sadly, "Everytown for Gun Safety" is responsible for pushing the fake "18 School Shootings in 2018" story that was repeated and retweeted endlessly, including by news organisations that later had to retract it.

As I've said many times in this thread, a big part of the problem is that no one is being honest about the problem, or solutions. And the terms of the debate are largely based on lies.
It's a hell of a country we live in when we can decide what qualifies as a school shooting or not based on whether or not anyone was killed.

They define their statistics as this
Quote:
Everytown explains on its website that it defines a school shooting as “any time a firearm discharges a live round inside a school building or on a school campus or grounds.”
So the stats aren't fake, by that definition. But yes, nitpicking over the exact definition of a school shooting is really what we need to focus on.

But hey, thanks again for finding something to be contrarian guy about.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #903
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Yeah I was going to say the same thing.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #904
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
It's a hell of a country we live in when we can decide what qualifies as a school shooting it not based on whether or not anyone was killed.

They define their statistics as this

So the stats aren't fake, by that definition. But yes, nitpicking over the exact definition of a school shooting is really what we need to focus on.

But hey, thanks again for finding something to be contrarian guy about.
Because an accidental discharge or suicide on school owned property is exactly the same thing as a massacre of 17 students and teachers. Give me a break.

Probably 99 percent of people who initially shared and repeated that "statistic" (including myself to students and in discussions to colleagues) didn't realize what that organization did with their stat. Lesson learned.

Their loose redefinition backfired by distracting from the issue at hand- school shootings - that need to be dealt with. People don't like to be mislead and it is absolutely asinine when the truth of the situation is horrible enough.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #905
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl View Post
Because an accidental discharge or suicide on school owned property is exactly the same thing as a massacre of 17 students and teachers. Give me a break.

Probably 99 percent of people who initially shared and repeated that "statistic" (including myself to students and in discussions to colleagues) didn't realize what that organization did with their stat. Lesson learned.

Their loose redefinition backfired by distracting from the issue at hand- school shootings - that need to be dealt with. People don't like to be mislead and it is absolutely asinine when the truth of the situation is horrible enough.
So just the regular ole gun going off at a school that doesn't kill anyone is just hunky dory. Got it.

God bless America, the most fucked up country on earth.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #906
Blue Crack Addict

I find bending of the truth to be deceptive and annoying. But in this case I'm really curious why anyone feels there's some sort of argument to be had or discussion to be had. Like, as though that statistic is an argumentative piece. Like, you've lost trust in the integrity of the debate. Maybe school shootings aren't as deadly as "they" say!
Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #907
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:23 AM
We’ve had this talk over and over.

The best solution is to repeal the 2nd. Until that happens, there will never be any regulation or laws over guns. Not with this Supreme Court.

Doesn’t mean we give up, but i feel like our goal should be higher than “ban AR15”
Old 02-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #908
45:33

Local Time: 03:23 PM
It's stunning how you can just get away with such blatant hypocrisy. The brave new world where consequences seemingly don't exist. I do wonder sometimes what would have happened had the Weinstein movement begun prior to the Billy Bush tape.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #909
War Child

I wonder why this kid did not commit suicide after the attack like most shooters do afterwards.

Very hysterical is also the fact that he left everything behind and escaped the school by blending with the crowds of fleeing students, went to a Subway within a Wal Mart right next to the school to buy a drink, then onto a McDonald's and then kept walking in the neighborhood until he got arrested.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #910
War Child

I just finished a visit with a right wing Republican pro gun friend of mine tonight who said he has now decided that it's time to ban assault weapons.

I was floored.

I hope he is an indication of what's to come.

It's time.

It's overdue.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #911
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
I wonder why this kid did not commit suicide after the attack like most shooters do afterwards.

Very hysterical is also the fact that he left everything behind and escaped the school by blending with the crowds of fleeing students, went to a Subway within a Wal Mart right next to the school to buy a drink, then onto a McDonald's and then kept walking in the neighborhood until he got arrested.
I'm not sure why it's hysterical. Amid panic and chaos, it's easy for everyone to lose track of who is doing the shooting and who is doing the running.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #912
Refugee

Quote:
So just the regular ole gun going off at a school that doesn't kill anyone is just hunky dory. Got it.

God bless America, the most fucked up country on earth.
Look at some of the facts before making such ignorant statements.

One egregious example of deception from the "18 school shootings so far in 2018“ "stat" is the fact that one of those *shootings was a suicide in a parked car at a school that had been closed for 7 months.

The actual shootings that have taken place have been horrible enough without deception and conflating suicides, accidental discharges and actual shootings. All it does, when discovered, is detract from the actual issue at hand.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #913
Blue Crack Addict

If you let it detract from the actual issue at hand.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #914
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:23 PM
I understand and agree that it’s important to have the facts right, but this “well, actually” bullshit about the number of “school shootings” is distracting from the fact that another 17 kids are dead in yet another preventable tragedy, and people are fed up.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #915
45:33

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl View Post
Look at some of the facts before making such ignorant statements.

One egregious example of deception from the "18 school shootings so far in 2018“ "stat" is the fact that one of those *shootings was a suicide in a parked car at a school that had been closed for 7 months.

The actual shootings that have taken place have been horrible enough without deception and conflating suicides, accidental discharges and actual shootings. All it does, when discovered, is detract from the actual issue at hand.

“The left are slightly exaggerating figures and therefore we should be outraged about that and not do anything about our gun laws”
Old 02-18-2018, 01:27 AM   #916
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
“The left are slightly exaggerating figures and therefore we should be outraged about that and not do anything about our gun laws”
Stop being so ignorant
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 AM   #917
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

-Said exactly no one.

Cobbler, quotes are for when you’re quoting someone.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #918
Blue Crack Addict

Watching kids who survived in FL on Face The Nation. They make more sense than adults. Smart kids, so well spoken. They say adults have let them down and sadly they are 100 % correct.

They're organizing marches. So proud of them.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #919
Blue Crack Addict

I think the only positive thing that may come of this shooting (because let's face it nothing will change legislatively) is that the "thoughts and prayers" has been thoroughly mocked and exposed for the idiotic platitude that it always was. I'm expecting the Republicans will have to come up with some sort of new formulation going forward.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #920
War Child

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Stop being so ignorant
I have donated to Every Town in the past and will do so again. But there is a point to be made about getting your data and stats accurate, because in our toxic culture, if you get it wrong then you are enabling the critics. Sadly, these pro-gun maniacs do not care about facts, or the culture, or their country despite what they say. They only care about where they can aim their hatred - for Hillary, Liberals, Dems in general. Anything that does not comport to what they hear from Hannity or Rush or Drudge.

So they need to get it right, like it or not. Whether it's been 18 or 8, or 1. Time's up.