Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #721
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
A ban on semi automatic and automatic weapons
you want every single legal firearm in america is to be a bolt-action, lever-action, or pump-action?

no legal semi-automatic trigger mechanisms at all?

Old 11-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #722
Blue Crack Distributor

Yes.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #723
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
you want every single legal firearm in america is to be a bolt-action, lever-action, or pump-action?

Other countries do it.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #724
Blue Crack Distributor

I'd actually prefer all guns banned, but I'm willing to settle.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #725
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
The whole "common sense gun control" will sort all this out argument is nothing but political posturing. It's just as much as a lie as when the GOP says that the solution is good guys with guns.
This might just be my understanding of the situation, but I've never thought that the majority of those who want "common sense gun control" genuinely believe it would act as some sort of panacea to gun violence in America. It's just that when tragedies like this happen over and over again ad nauseum, you kinda expect at least some attempt at rectifying the situation rather than accepting it as the new normal, whether it be a ban on certain assault weapons, limiting magazine capacity of some firearms, etc. Even if all these proposed "common sense gun legislation" bills were to pass, and even if they barely seemed to curb the level of gun violence at all initially, that kind of action would at least help to change (or atleast reshape) the general narrative that these rampant acts of gun violence are simply a natural, passively-accepted part of the kind of society we've cultivated.
But to your point, I genuinely do find the "common sense gun control" politicking quite a bit more reasonable than lamenting the armament of every man, woman and child
Old 11-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #726
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
This might just be my understanding of the situation, but I've never thought that the majority of those who want "common sense gun control" genuinely believe it would act as some sort of panacea to gun violence in America. It's just that when tragedies like this happen over and over again ad nauseum, you kinda expect at least some attempt at rectifying the situation rather than accepting it as the new normal, whether it be a ban on certain assault weapons, limiting magazine capacity of some firearms, etc. Even if all these proposed "common sense gun legislation" bills were to pass, and even if they barely seemed to curb the level of gun violence at all initially, that kind of action would at least help to change (or atleast reshape) the general narrative that these rampant acts of gun violence are simply a natural, passively-accepted part of the kind of society we've cultivated.
But to your point, I genuinely do find the "common sense gun control" politicking quite a bit more reasonable than lamenting the armament of every man, woman and child.*

*apologies for the snark lol
Exactly. If I could at least get a sense our government was trying to do something, if I could hear a few of them not be afraid to openly tell the NRA to fuck off and let them handle this issue for a change, that would be a start. That would show me that at least people are actually giving a shit to some degree.

Especially since, you know, children keep dying in these mass shootings. Where are all our "pro-life" politicians when it comes to this stuff? Why aren't pro-lifers standing outside the NRA headquarters protesting en masse? That's something I'd sure love to see for a change.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #727
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

So yeah... this is the real discussion we should be having... you're REALLY drilling down to the root cause ... I can't wait for Nick to expound on this...
Old 11-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #728
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I'd actually prefer all guns banned, but I'm willing to settle.
I'd be into allowing Muskets...
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #729
Blue Crack Supplier

Mofo?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #730
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

I'm willing to have some wiggle room as smart gun technology improves, but very little.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #731
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Hunting and home protection are about the only purposes for guns I see, and none of that should involve high capacity weaponry. Rifles are about the extent of what I'm ok with.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #732
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think home protection requires a gun unless the other person has a gun.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #733
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Hunting and home protection are about the only purposes for guns I see, and none of that should involve high capacity weaponry. Rifles are about the extent of what I'm ok with.
Agreed.

And I don't know how easily this sort of thing could be enforced, but anyone who does own a gun absolutely MUST have a place to put it that keeps it out of the hands of others*. If they don't have that, then they shouldn't have a gun.

*(On that note, considering we have age restrictions on when young people can learn to drive, drink, smoke, and so on, I think we need to do the same with gun usage. Children being taught to handle guns bothers me on so many levels. Especially when you think of all the teenagers who've committed school shootings, and the toddlers who've accidentally shot people.)

Also, I think somebody only really needs one gun at most in their home, if any. There's no logical reason whatsoever that people should have an entire arsenal on hand.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #734
Blue Crack Addict

In the U.K. to access your firearm it's stored off your property and there are two required keys and you only possess one

I'm pretty sure it works that way.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #735
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:03 AM
My grandpa was a hunter and I remember rifles being on the wall in one of the upstairs bedrooms where my cousins and I would sometimes sleep.

I don't remember ever being told "don't touch these," it was just a given and we didn't ever touch them.

Thus endeth Cori's Childhood Tale of Guns
Old 11-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #736
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

Gunnut: the 2nd amendment doesn’t guarantee my right to hunt. It guarantees my right to protection; protection from a tyrannical government, terrorist attack, or a zombie apocalypse. Who are you to say high capacity weapons aren’t necessary for any of those events?

We’ve read that argument in here, and they’re right if that’s how we define these rights. That’s why I believe there has to be a focus on how the constitution grants these rights to regulated groups, not individuals.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #737
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Gunnut: the 2nd amendment doesn’t guarantee my right to hunt. It guarantees my right to protection; protection from a tyrannical government, terrorist attack, or a zombie apocalypse. Who are you to say high capacity weapons aren’t necessary for any of those events?

We’ve read that argument in here, and they’re right if that’s how we define these rights. That’s why I believe there has to be a focus on how the constitution grants these rights to regulated groups, not individuals.

Agreed in some light. I can use a nuclear bomb to defend myself against a tyrannical government. After all, how am I to defend myself against a heavily armed tyrannical government?

But, the constitution is the only way to fix it.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #738
Refugee

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
But, the constitution is the only way to fix it.
And the SCOTUS is likely to be refreshed again in Trump's/Pence's presidency, correct?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #739
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
And the SCOTUS is likely to be refreshed again in Trump's/Pence's presidency, correct?

Probably if he gets re-elected. However, it's the senate/states who decide on constitutional amendments.

If we have something challenging the bill of rights, you'd first need a huge democrat victory in 2018, and a sustained movement in 2020.

Hence why a broken Democratic Party is a problem. But, you can at least get the movement rolling with a loud voice *right now*.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #740
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post

Find a terrorist incident of any kind that wasn't a bomb that managed double digits. It probably doesn't exist.
Nice, France truck attack?